The STAR WARS Thread

slinch

Saw it last night with no projector glitches.

thoughts:

The prequels set a low bar, but i still thought it was still done well for the most part. Given the general disappointment with the prequels and that fact this movie has many of the OG cast I think they pretty much had to do a fair amount of homage to the originals. There was a lot of nods back to the original series, jedi training ball, space monster chess, etc. And a lot more genuine humor than the prequels. Plus, it had much more of a natural, human feel to it as a whole.

There's homage and then outright mirroring. The general plot points were certainly similar to IV with Rey/Luke, Han/Obi Wan, Kylo/Vader analogs.

Poe was my least favorite characters. He was all cocky like Han, but without the rougeish charms. I suppose that's why Leia liked him, but you cant climb through the military system by being too much of a rouge. It was a bit unexpected and humorous, when they went all meta after Kylo captured him.

Kylo wasn't too bad. He's outbursts were angry and petulant, but not as whiny or annoying as Luke or Anakin. His training was no where near complete and they are really hitting the fact that he's conflicted. Even his lightsaber is all jagdedy and angry, it's like him! My major fault with Kylo is that he looks nothing like Han or Leia at all. He's like a cross between Michael Phelps and that green puppet from Pinwheel.

Rey, Luke's kid?? She has a connection already vis-a-vis the lightsaber. And she has a lot of untapped power. I am sure they will cover all that in the next movie.

Lando. VIII must have Lando.

Snoke? an old sith that was thought dead, Darth Plagueis, palpatine or even Grand Moff Tarkin?!

Maybe i am getting old, but did it seem odd that everyone was super young, especially in the first order? All the military commanders were like children. Was this just casting or are they trying to say that a lot the older set died during earlier battles? Han, Leia and Max von Sydow were the oldest people (humans...) in the movie. I would have liked Max vS to have had a bigger part.

I wasn't sold on the whole map to Luke thing. Why did the imperial archives have most of it, which would have been years old? They really couldn't ascertain the location from the part with the final destination? uncharted space?? Maybe the empire had a map to the first jedi temple and people know that Luke was trying to get there. However, someone had to cut out that section and leave the rest and then the BB-8 piece came from the same map because of the track? Maybe it was someone tracking down Luke's movement, but then lost him....

As far as Guiness, yeah, he's well known, but I'd guess most people in my (our?) age group, Star Wars was their first exposure to him. He'll never just be his characters in Laerence of Arabia, Doctor Zhivago, et al, to me, but Obi-Wan. And even though those were important roles, I'm sure Obi-Wan how most people recognize him at this point.

(Plus with the beard he at least looks pretty different.)

So yeah you don't remember an Oscar award winning actor from his huge movies he did before Star Wars, but kids watching Star Wars now are going to see it and think it's bad because some guy from an HBO show they aren't old enough to watch is in it or because a guy who was in Heroes ten years ago plays a minor role?

So yeah you don't remember an Oscar award winning actor from his huge movies he did before Star Wars, but kids watching Star Wars now are going to see it and think it's bad because some guy from an HBO show they aren't old enough to watch is in it or because a guy who was in Heroes ten years ago plays a minor role?

It's also about them doing a good or bad job. Guinness is a solid actor (obviously) and did a great job. These other recognizable actors did poor jobs (in my opinion) in the new movie so it stands out more that they're known actors playing a role.

Seems like you're getting really worked up over a pretty minor complaint about casting. It's not like I'm ranting about it, but you keep bringing it back up. ::shrug:: Opinions, some people have them, it's ok to disagree and not be a turd about it.

For me those specific actors took me out of the moment.

(I actually had no idea who Adam Driver even was, so for me it was just his overall look/acting that didn't work for me)

not sure if that needed a spoiler or not since it's just a casting thing.

Anyway, yeah. Minor complaint. Get over it, maybe?

Yeah saw myself last night. I like it as a good film that represented Star Wars. However, I'm going to gripe about certain things. While it was also a Star Wars movie, it also felt like a JJ Abrams movie. And with JJ, you get some good and you get some bad when he's the director. Slower start than I expected, lots of loosely-threaded story stuff, some characters quipping more than others (Finn especially), pacing suddenly speeding up towards the end, and an ending that felt like they wanted to rush to the credits and it made me go 'what the hell was that?

They immediately brush away Han's death. Not even a bit more dialogue from Leia to Rey about Han and Ben. It's just straight to R2 is awake and let's go find Luke so then it's just Rey pretty much saying goodbye to a knocked out Finn and Leia. Weird that Poe didn't meet Rey either but perhaps Poe is just going to be like Wedge and be that ace pilot. And if they wanted to parallel Rey and Ben, should they have a scene of an injured Ben with Snoke? The most silliest bit in the ending is that they made Rey take 10 mins to go thru a scenic tour of Ireland's island only to end it with Luke not saying anything at all and just staring at each other while the camera spinning around them. Couldn't they just have stuck with a stationary camera with a sun setting or rising?

I honestly feel like there was something missing in this movie and that other stuff could have been cut down. Actors were fine, some better than others but overall, this movie's positives definitely overcome its weaknesses for sure and I'm glad Star Wars is back and I hope Rogue One rules next year. Also, Rian Johnson will probably make the ESB film of this trilogy and it will be very good especially after what I see him do for Looper.

I have to agree with a lot of the criticism.  I would have gladly traded all the cutesy winks to the original series for some real character development.  

AND:

Do we really need all these scenes of dude being really bad/good at shooting stuff?  

Why are these people in love?  

Why does she all of the sudden have alarming high level jedi voodoo?  

Are there any extended Wookie rampage scenes?

Shouldn't somebody have lost a hand?  Possibly some Wookie-rampage-related dismemberment?

Loved the movie to death. But found it weird that Rey and Leia were hugging it out at the end without even knowing each other.

yeah, i thought the same thing. They supposedly had never met, but did the whole teary eyed stare and long embrace thing. However, Leia was the only human old enough to Han's wife in the whole movie. So maybe Rey is just excellent at inductive reasoning.

yeah, i thought the same thing. They supposedly had never met, but did the whole teary eyed stare and long embrace thing. However, Leia was the only human old enough to Han's wife in the whole movie. So maybe Rey is just excellent at inductive reasoning.

That's why I felt like an extra conversation between Rey and Leia was desperately needed. Just something. Leia may not be a Jedi but I can't understand why she didn't even bother asking who Rey really is especially when she could sense that Rey is a force user even if Leia isn't technically a Jedi. Unless Han and Leia really do know that Luke had a daughter and just decided to be silent about the suject to Rey. I mean there was that scene where Maz asks Han who the girl is and we don't know what he said before that so who knows.

I think Leia and Rey just comforted each other. Maybe I remember it wrong but Rey was teary-eyed and Leia knew why because she felt Han's death and he wasn't there, so why wouldn't they hug? I wouldn't overanalyze that part. I'm sure VIII is gonna have enough interactions between the two.

I also just found out that VIII comes out in less than two years. Thought it was going to be at least three.

Loved the movie to death. But found it weird that Rey and Leia were hugging it out at the end without even knowing each other.

This might be over analyzing but here is a possible theory. Maz asks Han Solo "Who's the girl?" and I can't remember if the scene cuts away or he glosses over it but it seems like he knows who she is. When they first arrive on the planet with Maz's hideout Rey says "I've never seen so much green" Han looks over at her and has a bit of a guilty look as he turns his head back to fly the approach.

When Maz confronts Rey after she's touched Anakin's saber she says to she knows about her and Luke (simply could just mean she knows they're force sensitive, but why would she know that she's force sensitive also Maz immediately knew she had touched the saber and was basically begging her to take it.

I think that a lot of the negative criticism comes from the fact that the initial reviews were that it was AMAZING. I wish I hadn't heard that. I might not have been so quick to see the glaring faults in it if my expectations hadn't gone from low to as high as they can be. Oh well.

Regardless of who Rey's parents are, I think she got Jedi mind tricked into staying on Jakku, probably to hide her from the dark side. That's the only way I can think of for her feeling like she needs to wait there for her family but not even knowing who they are

So good

Its amazing how critical you all are... there was no jar jar, shut the fuck up and be happy you all didnt wait your entire life for a new star wars to have a fucking retarded fishrabbit ruin it

I like the film as a whole but you can't say that all of it works. Is there anything wrong with critiquing something that people love? 

I like the film as a whole but you can't say that all of it works. Is there anything wrong with critiquing something that people love?

Yes, because the reason of the criticism makes me think that some of you would never be 100% happy no matter what happened.

and how can you even say not all of it works? Its the first of multiple, of storylines that no one knows yet. Saying that after the story is over, fine.

The film should be criticised as it is not without its flaws but I see a lot of nitpicking online. I'm certain many of those complaints will go away as soon as the third trilogy is completed and there's context.

People praise the shit out of IV (and rightfully so, as it is a fantastic film on its own) but it doesn't get nearly as much criticism and nitpicking even though questionable stuff happens. That's because the majority of the fanbase grew up in a time where they could immediately watch V and VI and get context.

I mean, some people complain about Kylo Ren being such a whiny brat ... but what about Luke in IV? And how did he become such a great pilot in such a short time? Why should VII get so much shit for making similar "mistakes" just because some people aren't patient enough to see where this all goes?

The film should be criticised as it is not without its flaws but I see a lot of nitpicking online. I'm certain many of those complaints will go away as soon as the third trilogy is completed and there's context.

People praise the shit out of IV (and rightfully so, as it is a fantastic film on its own) but it doesn't get nearly as much criticism and nitpicking even though questionable stuff happens. That's because the majority of the fanbase grew up in a time where they could immediately watch V and VI and got context.

I mean, some people complain about Kylo Ren being such a whiny brat ... but what about Luke in IV? And how did he become such a great pilot in such a short time? Why should VII get so much shit for making similar "mistakes" just because some people aren't patient enough to see where this all goes?

I've always thought Luke was whiny in IV - VI so I figured it was fitting for KR to be whiny too.

People praise the shit out of IV (and rightfully so, as it is a fantastic film on its own) but it doesn't get nearly as much criticism and nitpicking even though questionable stuff happens. That's because the majority of the fanbase grew up in a time where they could immediately watch V and VI and got context.

I understand what you're saying, but the differences between A New Hope and The Force Awakens is that ANH was released to stand on its own unlike TFA. Context in future movies shouldn't make the current movie feel incomplete on its own.

Yeah, I saw a comment earlier about how #4 transitioned to #5 so great and wanted to say: Lucas had only written "Star Wars". It was a one-off and he expected the movie to flop. Only after it received such a great success did he continue. I think the same happened with the prequels. He didn't have any thought, but people wanted to know how Vader fell.

Question for those who watched also:

How did you react with Han's death? It didn't really hit me like I think it should. The whole interaction right before basically pointed it out. Shoot, when he told Chewie to take the other level I knew what was going down. Was there enough emotion? I don't know, any other thoughts on this subject?

Yeah, I saw a comment earlier about how #4 transitioned to #5 so great and wanted to say: Lucas had only written "Star Wars". It was a one-off and he expected the movie to flop. Only after it received such a great success did he continue. I think the same happened with the prequels. He didn't have any thought, but people wanted to know how Vader fell.

Question for those who watched also:

How did you react with Han's death? It didn't really hit me like I think it should. The whole interaction right before basically pointed it out. Shoot, when he told Chewie to take the other level I knew what was going down. Was there enough emotion? I don't know, any other thoughts on this subject?

the death itself didn't get me too bad since like you, I knew something was going down, Chewie's reaction is what hit me. Like I said, I almost lost it at that point.

the death itself didn't get me too bad since like you, I knew something was going down, Chewie's reaction is what hit me. Like I said, I almost lost it at that point.

Honestly felt that was going to happen the moment they announced that Kylo was his son and then that convo with him and Leia about bringing him home. I was like 'yeah that's totally not going to happen.' Still when Chewie cried, I felt something. Honestly Chewie had some really good screen time, especially with Han discovering how OP Chewie's bowcaster is. Sounds like he will be a factor to come in the later chapters as well.