Chelsea Wolfe- Abyss- Summer 2015

Baby blue seemed to be the go-to Tour press option for Sheath releases for a while there, so I got a bit burnt out on that. Of course, that's also called "Carolina Blue" where I come from, and I went to Wake Forest -  so there's a natural aversion built in.

Sticking with my Splatter, ...if it will ever get out of Bell (Hell) Gardens Processing Center. 5 days and counting. 

yeah, a little underwhelmed by the blue splatter. i could grab it if i end up seeing her in boston (she's got them on tour) but I think I'm a little more impressed with the baby blue vinyl honestly.

does anyone have in-the-flesh pictures of the newbury variant yet?

would be cool if you could get me one, pm me!

• 5 weeks later...

Went the DC show last night. Great show, nice little venue, Chelsea always sounds great live. The first time I heard her live on YouTube I was very surprised how similar her live singing and her recorded vocals sound. This show was no exception.

As for Abyss, I like it. It's very good, but I think the song sequence is bad. The album doesn't flow well. After The Fall should have opened the album and Grey Days should have closed it.

Im getting more and more annoyed with artists destroying their art with bad production/mixing/mastering.

Picked up a baby blue a couple days ago at Music Millennium in Portland if anyone around here is looking for one.

^I think I brought up John Congleton earlier in the thread but I don't believe I elaborated. For a guy who works with lots of dynamic-heavy bands, everything he touches just sounds so flat and lifeless to me. While perhaps an homage to On Avery Island by Neutral Milk Hotel, the newest Andrew Jackson Jihad album is sooooo gross sounding. Good songs but jesus, it sounds like crap. So compressed. Abyss feels like that to me too - a bunch of static mushed together. Everything else is very middle of the road and keeps me from appreciating this guy's production style.

Another great album from Chelsea.

I'm dying to ask,Is it just me, or does it sound like she just had some dental work done on "Color of Blood," and they left the cotton balls in her mouth? I know she has the other mic doing the low voice thing, but this is like a sloppy S's / lisp or something.  Is this a new vocal style I'm behind the times on?

Another great album from Chelsea.

I'm dying to ask,Is it just me, or does it sound like she just had some dental work done on "Color of Blood," and they left the cotton balls in her mouth? I know she has the other mic doing the low voice thing, but this is like a sloppy S's / lisp or something.  Is this a new vocal style I'm behind the times on?

You are not imagining that in the least.  I actually texted my fellow friend and Wolfe enthusiast the moment I heard it, with something along the lines of "So Abyss is good, but I think Chelsea is intentionally slurring all the vocals on Color of Blood and it's weird."

I really don't get it.

You are not imagining that in the least.  I actually texted my fellow friend and Wolfe enthusiast the moment I heard it, with something along the lines of "So Abyss is good, but I think Chelsea is intentionally slurring all the vocals on Color of Blood and it's weird."

I really don't get it.

Haha This really is a thing.

Picked up a baby blue a couple days ago at Music Millennium in Portland if anyone around here is looking for one.

^I think I brought up John Congleton earlier in the thread but I don't believe I elaborated. For a guy who works with lots of dynamic-heavy bands, everything he touches just sounds so flat and lifeless to me. While perhaps an homage to On Avery Island by Neutral Milk Hotel, the newest Andrew Jackson Jihad album is sooooo gross sounding. Good songs but jesus, it sounds like crap. So compressed. Abyss feels like that to me too - a bunch of static mushed together. Everything else is very middle of the road and keeps me from appreciating this guy's production style.

Don't know much about this guy or his work, but it sounds like we have the same complaints. "A bunch of static mushed together" is a pretty spot on for the parts it describes. Sound doesn't have to be clipping to be in your face or be a wall of sound.

At the show she had a GREAT distorted guitar tone with body and texture. If that same tone is on the album, I wouldn't know.