Deafheaven - New Bermuda

Listening to the song again. Really the only true blemish is the fade out that happens before the piano coda. Why? Why do that? It makes no sense.

The rest of the song is pretty fucking sick. Guitar solo still needs some delay, that shit is too dry.

But this song is really good.

I'm also not crazy about the fadeout, either.  Or any fadeout for that matter.

Listening to the song again. Really the only true blemish is the fade out that happens before the piano coda. Why? Why do that? It makes no sense.

It's supposed to be a blunt and irrupt ending that's followed by the piano part acting as a contrast. From a technical standpoint it makes sense; it plays into the motif of the album, the ideologies and themes George was talking about in the RS article. I think it makes perfect sense if you look at it in context and probably even more so with the second track. It's defiantly out of place if you don't think about it and you're just listening; that ending movement is supposed to be dramatic.

I'm also not crazy about the fadeout, either.  Or any fadeout for that matter.

Beach House had a pretty good answer to fadeouts in their interview with Stereogum (7:47 mark).

They posted the lyrics for Brought to the Water if anyone is interested.

Where has my passion gone? Has it been carried off by some lonely driver in a line of florescent light? Has it been blurred together in ribboned patterns on the night? Along the stretch of some unnamed plane, we began again. I saw in your face that we’re the same when we began again. A multiverse of fuchsia and violet surrenders to blackness now. My world closes its eyes to sex and laughter.

Been listening to a lot of Sunbather lately. This record is so stupefyingly unreal.

The material translates so well to the live setting, I hope they keep most of it in their set. Although I was a little bummed they didn't have the piano part on sample for "The Pecan Tree" in the live versions I checked out.

But holy shit, "Sunbather" live is so punishing and amazing. There's a version where they add this chugging riff in the outro... Kerry takes a different picking technique attack and you can hear where they were going with this new material.

But holy shit, "Sunbather" live is so punishing and amazing. There's a version where they add this chugging riff in the outro... Kerry takes a different picking technique attack and you can hear where they were going with this new material.

Agreed with this. It sounds kinda dumb, but I was actually quite surprised at much heavier it sounded when performed live.