PO: Baroness - Purple

^^There was one song towards the middle of the album, I can't remember which, that definitely had kind of a Thrice sounding chorus. But, I thought it sounded cool. I like both bands.

I know exactly the one, it was the one I was listening to when I typed that originally. I like a couple Thrice albums alright, but I rarely go out of my way to listen to them. Purple is pretty good, but it's definitely on the lower end of Baroness records for me.

Edit: I guess I like it quite a bit actually, because it's the first album in a long time that I've listened to twice back-to-back.

Production could be better IMO but it doesn't detract too much.

Jammed this about four times yesterday....no clue what part of the production could be better? Do you want it to sound like a slick radio-rock record?

Only issue I have with production is the nod to Pink Floyd in Chlorine & Wine with the "uncomfortably dumb" line

It is definitely brickwalled.  The digital copies sound even worse, which makes me think the vinyl got a separate master, but overall it's just too loud.  I was really afraid of that when I found out Dave Fridmann was doing the record. In general, the sound is good, if he would just dial everything back a notch...

Almost everything about the production could be better. Nearly the entire thing is brickwalled, just barely below the point of clipping.

I am not much of an audiophile and don't have that great of an ear, but the mp3's are seriously brickwalled. I have not heard the vinyl or cd versions yet, but are they better? I would hope that i could rip higher kps mp3s from the CD. The songs posted on youtube didn't sound that bad, but ones i donwloaded from the Pledge music were muddy and distorted on the heavier parts.

It's a loud rock/metal record? Fully utilizing pre-amps is turning them up until they start to clip and then dialing them back a smidge....

I hear plenty of dynamic range on this recording and was surprised that the mix didn't sound muddy.

Haven't listened to a digital copy yet though

This production doesn't sound terribly different than their previous output to me.....drums are a bit different, guitars are a little cleaner sounding in the mix to me, nothing drastically different.

Clearly production is all subjective....maybe I'm just in the minority in enjoying this production style

It's a loud rock/metal record? Fully utilizing pre-amps is turning them up until they start to clip and then dialing them back a smidge....

Yeah, it's a rock record, but that doesn't mean it has to be cranked to clipping.  This album could have been a lot worse, and Dave has definitely pushed records way over the limit before (see A City By The Light Divided). Even though this album still has some range, the drums clip a several points.

As I said, the vinyl sounds better, and that's why I think there may be separate masters.  All digital copies (streaming and download) sound bad, IMO.  I'm curious what the CD is like (I assume similar to the digital copies).

obviously plenty of people like Dave Fridmann's signature style - usually guarantees it to be almost unlistenable to me if his name's involved. I liked a lot of Y&G so I've been hopeful on this release (even left room for it in a box I made to house all my Baroness albums). I'm skeptical now but will prob pick it up at some point...

Just came here to talk about the brickwalling on the mp3 I have, if the vinyl is the same I would never buy this.

Birdwell, no disrespect, but you have completely misunderstood what brickwalling means. Its the mastering process done at the very last step where among other things the overall sound level is determined, brickwalling means that pretty much everything is at its maxed level, the quiet parts are as loud as the loud parts.

Just came here to talk about the brickwalling on the mp3 I have, if the vinyl is the same I would never buy this.

Birdwell, no disrespect, but you have completely misunderstood what brickwalling means. Its the mastering process done at the very last step where among other things the overall sound level is determined, brickwalling means that pretty much everything is at its maxed level, the quiet parts are as loud as the loud parts.

The technical term for what you're referring to is "Compression" it has nothing to do with distortion or gain staging.

Additionally the gripes people have with production and production engineer in question here has nothing to do with the Mastering Process or the Mastering Engineer "Brickwalling" or "Overly Compressing" the master.

It's totally possible to give the mastering engineer a mix that's too loud for them to do much with, but if the digital version of this album sounds like digital clipping is taking place on certain instruments, it falls on a producer/production engineer, if the full mix over all sounds like it's being digitally clipped, it's either poorly digitally mastered or a really poor rip. If your LP sounds fine (no clipping) and the digital sounds like there's clipping happening.....that's not a producer/production engineer's fault....that would be the mastering engineer for the digital version vs the mastering engineer for analog version....or the engineer cutting the lathe was just phenomenal. If you have a component system set up with digital files playing through the same amp and speakers as your turntable, play a digital copy of any other record you own and then play the same album's LP and listen for decibel discrepancies. Then repeat this process with this particular title.....if the LP plays at a softer volume over all then it's probably the mastering on the digital files....if they sound the same and you have the same distortion/clipping in the same places...safe to assume they used the same master for both and that could also put blame on the producer/production engineer for making the mix too loud and not leaving enough head room for the mastering engineer.

Again, the only issue I have with production is the nod to Pink Floyd....which I'm sure is funny to most

Yeah, it's a rock record, but that doesn't mean it has to be cranked to clipping. This album could have been a lot worse, and Dave has definitely pushed records way over the limit before (see A City By The Light Divided). Even though this album still has some range, the drums clip a several points.

As I said, the vinyl sounds better, and that's why I think there may be separate masters. All digital copies (streaming and download) sound bad, IMO. I'm curious what the CD is like (I assume similar to the digital copies).

A city by the light divided is the absolute worst recording I have ever heard in my life. It ruined what would have ultimately been a really great record. Made it unlistenable