OUT NOW: If These Trees Could Talk - The Bones Of A Dying World 2xLP | Metal Blade

The new track could easily be a continuation of Red Forest. But, I don't hate it. I hate everything else about this release so far. Hopefully the rest of this record really shines through.

Totally true.  I just finished up listening to Red Forest, and "When the Big Hand Buries the Twelve" could seamlessly go right into "Solstice".

Not sure if this works on POs, but if you sign up for the EMP newsletter, you allegedly get a 10% discount voucher.

Wish I knew that before placing an order...

http://www.emp-online.co.uk/newsletter/

EDIT:  This only works with the UK website.  Each country needs to sign up separately.  

Yeah just to piggy back on you guys, the album font is crap and looks horrible. I'm surprised since Charlie did this. It's just weird seeing something like that out of him. He's incredible and this just doesn't seem like something he would do.

Metal Blade can suck it. Price point, selection, etc is terrible. I'll wait and see if they have something for a record release and try to grab one then. If not I'll try and catch a show and just pick one up there.

Also, I heard signing to Metal Blade can make you do crazy stuff. Like taking steroids and getting swole then plotting to have your wife murdered

I like the track, but the riffs don't quite deliver like the famous outro of Malabar Front.

Generally, I'm immune (uncultured) to art /color coordination, very rarely go ape over album art. I like my Avatar though.

*Not* immune to being bent over and gouged. If the rest of the album is meh, such that it's not worth the effort or storage space, it will get an EZ pass like Toundra IV. Red Forest was my guitar album of 2012, so Red Forest part 2 will make this a tough decision if it stays at $35. I'll go on the record as saying that I don't think they need to change their sound or formula, add vocals or strings or gimmicks if they can conjure the necessary riffs. The air guitar kind of riffage. I'm not losing any sleep if I don't end up owning this on vinyl ...

I like the track, but the riffs don't quite deliver like the famous outro of Malabar Front.

Generally, I'm immune (uncultured) to art /color coordination, very rarely go ape over album art. I like my Avatar though.

*Not* immune to being bent over and gouged. If the rest of the album is meh, such that it's not worth the effort or storage space, it will get an EZ pass like Toundra IV. Red Forest was my guitar album of 2012, so Red Forest part 2 will make this a tough decision if it stays at $35. I'll go on the record as saying that I don't think they need to change their sound or formula, add vocals or strings or gimmicks if they can conjure the necessary riffs. The air guitar kind of riffage. I'm not losing any sleep if I don't end up owning this on vinyl ...

Yes. I want this record, but I can live without it. I will most likely buy it when someone posts up a 7.99 sale on Amazon.

Well said, Don. I still think Toundra IV is badass though. :)

I wonder how many PO's they have gotten for this so far. If Mylene put this PO up yesterday I'd have probably dropped $50+ on this. At least my bank account is happy about this.

Mylene probably would be close to selling out this pre order for sure. They would have sold out the two colored variants that would probably be awesome like the deluxe pressings, would have a couple black left, and our wallets would be ok since they would be $24.99 at most, and discounted for bundles. Sigh.

Mine wouldn't....therefore happy :P

And let's face it: the fan community for any Post-something in Europe is probably way bigger than in the US... :ph34r:

Oh for sure. Plus the majority of the better post rock bands, and labels are out there as well. It's like post rock Nirvana over there. All we can do is group buy to save. Haha.

Goddammit. I couldn't resist. Too many people texting me--including members of the band--telling me about how hard everyone's shitting on my cover, so I caved and broke my "Never look at Vinyl Collective" rule.

A few things. The artwork is comprised of photographs I took myself while traveling in Iceland. Before my trip, I convened with the band and we all agreed it would be awesome to use photos from the trip for the record. IE: "Iron Glacier" especially fits with the glacial subject matter. The cover image is actually a photo of an iceberg field, and there's another photo from this same location inside the packaging. You can see Metal Blade used some of these photos on the teaser video.

I see a lot of complaining about the typography: which is actually blind-embossed on the gatefold jacket. We wanted the type fancy die-cut, but it was actually rejected from the pressing plant for being too intricate. So instead I got everyone on board for the type on the cover to be invisible, just embossed into the paper stock. There'll also be a sticker on the shrink-wrap/poly-bag, but that's a minuscule detail not worth mentioning.

As for the "deluxe'ness" of the packaging, you get an embossed Gatefold jacket that's printed on a sturdy uncoated stock. Two inner sleeves that are actually printed wth metallic inks with a glossy finish, and an etching on the d-side.

Oh, and the USA and EUR versions have different d-side etchings. I hand-drew the illustrations for the etchings, based on photos from the rest of the packaging. I was thinking about possible hosting a giveaway online to giveaway one of these original drawings. Though the general attitude in this thread makes me think no one gives a shit about the art. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That's all I can take for now. Time to try and be productive after having all winds taken outta my sails.

That cover art sucks

that font on the cover art is ghastly.

that cover, how could they

if they get rid of the text i might consider

a little too Deafheaven-y with the font there, boys...

Also, the cover sucks.

Ugh fuck everything about this so far...really not digging the cover with the horrid font...

Horrible album cover.

Oh how the mighty have fallen.

how atrocious that cover looks

Can you believe how average that track is?

Can you believe Charlie designed it?

Can you believe they [Metal Blade] has the audacity to charge $30 for a basic release from a newly signed band?

And unfortunately, I agree.

Yeah just to piggy back on you guys, the album font is crap and looks horrible. I'm surprised since Charlie did this. It's just weird seeing something like that out of him. He's incredible and this just doesn't seem like something he would do.

Goddammit. I couldn't resist. Too many people texting me--including members of the band--telling me about how hard everyone's shitting on my cover, so I caved and broke my "Never look at Vinyl Collective" rule.

A few things. The artwork is comprised of photographs I took myself while traveling in Iceland. Before my trip, I convened with the band and we all agreed it would be awesome to use photos from the trip for the record. IE: "Iron Glacier" especially fits with the glacial subject matter. The cover image is actually a photo of an iceberg field, and there's another photo from this same location inside the packaging. You can see Metal Blade used some of these photos on the teaser video.

I see a lot of complaining about the typography: which is actually blind-embossed on the gatefold jacket. We wanted the type fancy die-cut, but it was actually rejected from the pressing plant for being too intricate. So instead I got everyone on board for the type on the cover to be invisible, just embossed into the paper stock. There'll also be a sticker on the shrink-wrap/poly-bag, but that's a minuscule detail not worth mentioning.

As for the "deluxe'ness" of the packaging, you get an embossed Gatefold jacket that's printed on a sturdy uncoated stock. Two inner sleeves that are actually printed wth metallic inks with a glossy finish, and an etching on the d-side.

Oh, and the USA and EUR versions have different d-side etchings. I hand-drew the illustrations for the etchings, based on photos from the rest of the packaging. I was thinking about possible hosting a giveaway online to giveaway one of these original drawings. Though the general attitude in this thread makes me think no one gives a shit about the art. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That's all I can take for now. Time to try and be productive after having all winds taken outta my sails.

Thanks, Charlie, for clarifying and making me drool even more over the release...

I still can't believe so many people who know your work complained after just seeing a picture...well, in the end, I'm sure that everybody who complained will be happy as fuck to own this! :)

its art. its going to get criticized and critiqued. part of the game, no matter who is the artist.

as an artist myself, getting shit on daily is just how it goes.

It's how you know you're doing something right.

I've always been a fan of you, Charlie. You do absolutely amazing work. Even if I don't like this current piece doesn't mean I think any less of you or your abilities. Art is subjective, just like music. Some people will like, others won't. Don't think any less of you or your talents though. Excited to see the etchings (if I ever buy the physical release). The album cover however is the least of my concerns. Keep on keeping on, man.

That's all I can take for now. Time to try and be productive after having all winds taken outta my sails.

Wasn't trying to shit all over you, it's just the font used in comparison to the beautiful picture just makes the overall composition of the cover really off putting in my opinion.

I also think our main gripe is about the extremely limited options the US is getting compared to EU. Just makes it not worth a PO till these are available in stores.

All things aside, I love all yours and the band's previous work, art and music, I'm sure this will be good as well, just for what we've seen right now, we as fans get worried.