Zao Re-issues!

just tested March on my clear w/ orange/blue several times and plays fine, although a bit warped.

setup: Technics SL1400 w/ Shure M79XE Jico and nice stage/stereo.

side note: this remaster sounds perfect - not overdone in any way,  just right and preserves the original rawness nicely.

Edited by ethereal

both of my copies, one of each color, do it. Turntable is Marantz TT15S1 with stock Clearaudio Virtuoso cart. So it sounds like the recourse is to live with it, while that is not ideal, I would rather live with it than to turn it into a situation where the band has to eat it, just my 2 cents....and yes, the pressing sounds amazing

I played my copy today and started right from The March. It played right through, but something was off. I realized my Pro-Ject was set to 45 RPM. Switched it to 33 and it had the locking issue. Adjusted my anti-skate and with a bit more weight on, it locked about 4 times around then played through it. 

I'm curious if the issue had been replicated with the test presses too?

12 hours ago, dreamover said:

I played my copy today and started right from The March. It played right through, but something was off. I realized my Pro-Ject was set to 45 RPM. Switched it to 33 and it had the locking issue. Adjusted my anti-skate and with a bit more weight on, it locked about 4 times around then played through it. 

I'm curious if the issue had been replicated with the test presses too?

The problem is, everyone that approved the test presses has a setup that can not currently replicate the skip. So it just so happened that the several people that approved it had the "ideal" setup. (we still don't know exactly what that is)

3 hours ago, gretz said:

The problem is, everyone that approved the test presses has a setup that can not currently replicate the skip. So it just so happened that the several people that approved it had the "ideal" setup. (we still don't know exactly what that is)

i had a similar situation once when pressing a record. I approved the tests, they sounded great. 

Fast forward to when the record went out I started getting messages from customers who said the record didn't play correctly. I played several copies and they all sounded great. I saw videos and noticed they were all on crosleys. I took the record and played it on a friend's crosley and the tonearm jumped all over the place. It looked like the grooves were not cut deep enough. 

The pressing plant said the issue was definitely the mastering. Which had been done in house. They took full responsibility and repressed the whole run on a new color. So when I sold them, they shipped with a sealed defective copy and a new record in a paper sleeve. It was a pain to send out another shipment to everyone who had already ordered. but i'm glad the plant took ownership and corrected the issue.

Obviously, this isn't the exact same issue. but it does bare some similarity. but, if no one with a test press can replicate the issue, I wonder if the plates had a nick or some sort of buildup that would've made the issue more pronounced further into production.  It seems like the kind of thing that could be missed if your stylus has just the right weight and angle to push past it. And then, if it became more pronounced as the pressing was run, it may not really be an issue with the tests or some of the first copies.

It's interesting that my turntable sometimes pushes past it, and sometimes get's stuck on the groove. 

On 10/5/2020 at 1:08 PM, ethereal said:

just tested March on my clear w/ orange/blue several times and plays fine, although a bit warped.

setup: Technics SL1400 w/ Shure M79XE Jico and nice stage/stereo.

side note: this remaster sounds perfect - not overdone in any way,  just right and preserves the original rawness nicely.

Orange copy tested as well with no issues.

very thankful I didn’t get hit by this.

2 hours ago, gretz said:

see. NOW we are getting reports of different variants having different playback on the same turntable AND of turntables that were able to play one, now not being able to play another. basically it is a total shitshow and nobody behind the scenes can figure out how to solve it

was it mastered in house by united?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

new Zao album PO's tomorrow at 11AM EST

"Pre-orders for the new Zao album “The Crimson Corridor” are launching Friday March 5, 11 AM est

The new Zao full length album “The Crimson Corridor” (11 tracks and almost 60 minutes of music) is officially hitting the world on April 9, 2021 through our label Observed/Observer Recordings. You can pre-order starting this Friday March 5, at 11 am EST both through our bandcamp store and at Holy Mountain (if you also want to grab shirts/hoodies etc.)"

• 2 weeks later...