Sleep - "Dopesmoker", Deluxe Reissue

Guest Justin Maheiny

People think the album is great, I think it's nothing special. Get over it.

I will not! I refuse to sleep until you admit this album is great! Sleep strike is now in effect. I hope you're happy.

So I'm listening to my Kreation test press of Sleep's Holy Mountain which just arrived today and I have to say the overall mix job on this is kind of crap. Vocals are mixed oddly and some tracks have the guitar way too low. Luckily some of the best tracks like "The Holy Mountain" and "From Beyond" have an excellent balance of guitar, bass and drum but the vocal spots are still awkward.

• 1 month later...

I had to check out the record after hearing only good things about it...and was like :huh::blink:

Totally not my cup of cake...reminded me of the situation when I listened to Sunn O))) the first (and only) time... :wacko:

Not a fan of Doom are you? That's cool. At least you gave it a listen first before coming up with an opinion.

Not a fan of Doom are you? That's cool. At least you gave it a listen first before coming up with an opinion.

Well, depends...I'd say Sleep is some sort of Stoner Doom & Sunn O))) rather Drone (at least from what I've heard)...can't really say I'm a big fan of that kind of music. Maybe it's the (IMO) monotony of Sleep & Sunn that I can't cope with...

But one finds these doom elements in bands like Isis, Neurosis, BLCKWVS, etc which I really enjoy!

I definitely understand where you're coming from. I was not sure what the allure of doom as a whole, nevermind a one hour long track of it was at first but after watching this segment (and sometime after the whole documentary), I gained a certain respect for it. After a certain time of dabbling in heavier music, to my amazement I somehow came to consider this as the essential masterpiece of heavy underground music, as it really is. There's not many doom-stoner bands that haven't been influenced by Sleep at some point. Plus there's also the fact that all the dudes are just stand-up guys and true musicians who have soul. Either way you look at it, the dudes were pioneers by doing what they felt needed to be out there.

Oftentimes when I don't 'get' something but am still fascinated by the music/band I look for interviews to gain some insight and try to relate to it on some level. That said, Dopesmoker's definitely a glorification of bong hits and you will obviously appreciate it differently if you're prone to that sort of deal. That I think determines whether you really get a feel for the lyrics or they just seem too out there for you. But with those those vocals and that riff. That and the backdrop of how it all came to fruition. It all comes together for one religious stoner experience.

To me, what Sleep started and what a lot of bands have carried forward from then on, including SunnO, is this in some way an organic form of music. Being stripped down to what of course could be said to be monotonous music but could also be said to be what is like a pulse of life or whatever. That's what heavy drones and riffs achieve, to me at least. It's just a primal sonic experience.