At The Drive-In - Relationship of Command Repress

I'm not trying to bitch and moan about the price of this album - since I've definitely vented enough in the past few weeks - but has anyone truthfully figured out why the base-price on this repress is so atrociously high?  From Hot Topic to every record store in general: $32 - $36 seems to be the "cheapest" going rate.  And I'm genuinely perplexed as to why.  "Because they can" or "because there's a demand" are not valid excuses in my books.  I can think of plenty of highly-sought-after represses that were very reasonably priced.  And from what I've been reading, there's nothing particular impressive or elaborate as far as the packaging and contents go.  It's a legitimate mystery to me.

I'm not trying to bitch and moan about the price of this album - since I've definitely vented enough in the past few weeks - but has anyone truthfully figured out why the base-price on this repress is so atrociously high?  From Hot Topic to every record store in general: $32 - $36 seems to be the "cheapest" going rate.  And I'm genuinely perplexed as to why.  "Because they can" or "because there's a demand" are not valid excuses in my books.  I can think of plenty of highly-sought-after represses that were very reasonably priced.  And from what I've been reading, there's nothing particular impressive or elaborate as far as the packaging and contents go.  It's a legitimate mystery to me.

They were super expensive wholesale from the distro that had these. The wholesale price was what the retial price should have been. It wasnt that every retailer carrying this marked it up extra just cause they knew people would buy it.

i was fortunate to have enough cash on RSD to have no need to bitch about the price of this album.

i feel bad for those who did, because i know i've missed plenty of releases i've coveted due to such an inconvenience.

yes, i'm drunk.

i'll be here all night.

*drops the mic*

They were super expensive wholesale from the distro that had these. The wholesale price was what the retial price should have been. It wasnt that every retailer carrying this marked it up extra just cause they knew people would buy it.

That's what I figured, of course: I wasn't accusing Hot Topic or any other retailer of inflating the price.  I guess I'm just confused as to why the wholesale was so high from the original distro.

That's what I figured, of course: I wasn't accusing Hot Topic or any other retailer of inflating the price.  I guess I'm just confused as to why the wholesale was so high from the original distro.

Oh yea, I didnt think you were accusing anyone. Just confirming that the wholesale on these was extremely high for some reason. I still dont really know why.

I havent seen these in person yet, are the jackets extra thick or is there anything special about these to justify the high price at all?

Oh yea, I didnt think you were accusing anyone. Just confirming that the wholesale on these was extremely high for some reason. I still dont really know why.

I havent seen these in person yet, are the jackets extra thick or is there anything special about these to justify the high price at all?

Just wanted to clarify.  I saw the link and news of copies in stock at Hot Topic for $32, and immediately thought "Wow, that's a good price."  At which point I came to my senses, and realized that - even though it was pretty much the cheapest option out there - it was still $32 for a double LP.  (Though when you factor in free shipping, you're actually getting pretty damn close to a fair PPD price.)

As far as the packaging goes -- from what I've read, that's a negative.  I've heard of quite a few "wobbly" records and questionable cuts, but the people who received fully functioning albums seem to be in love with the sound and mastering.  So that's a huge plus.  Outside of that, though, it's my understanding that there's nothing truly fancy.

Needless to say, all of this makes me very eager to hear what "non-RSD" copies may have in store... and more importantly, what they'll retail for.  Patience is a virtue.

Just wanted to clarify.  I saw the link and news of copies in stock at Hot Topic for $32, and immediately thought "Wow, that's a good price."  At which point I came to my senses, and realized that - even though it was pretty much the cheapest option out there - it was still $32 for a double LP.  (Though when you factor in free shipping, you're actually getting pretty damn close to a fair PPD price.)

As far as the packaging goes -- from what I've read, that's a negative.  I've heard of quite a few "wobbly" records and questionable cuts, but the people who received fully functioning albums seem to be in love with the sound and mastering.  So that's a huge plus.  Outside of that, though, it's my understanding that there's nothing truly fancy.

Needless to say, all of this makes me very eager to hear what "non-RSD" copies may have in store... and more importantly, what they'll retail for.  Patience is a virtue.

People with shitty turntables complained about the questionable cuts. The records are indeed cut a few mm larger than normal but that isn't a problem.

Everything else is spot on, it's not a shit quality gatefold but it's also not tip on. Somewhere in the middle for a premium price really sucks. It's also one of the best sounding records I own though so I don't hate myself for buying it.

It's weird, Acrobatic Tenement definitely has a reasonable price... I don't know why this one is so high.