MAN ADVICE

i just read your full post over in the other thread and I teared up a little bit. I'm the biggest sap ever.

Woah! Awesome couple days for you guys. Love when things work out like that

Thats one cool story. Congrats!

Thank you all! It was an incredible, once in a lifetime thing that we'll never forget.

Now we've gotta top it with the actual wedding :P

Would love some opinions on this:

My girlfriend and I have been together for just over 5 years.  Lately we've been talking a lot about getting engaged this year.  She's pretty particular with her likes and dislikes, and has been shopping around for the type of ring that she wants.  She really wants a vintage one, nothing brand new from stores or anything, blah blah blah.

So the other day she finally found one that she liked.  She was having a conversation with her mom at some point about it, and when she showed it to her, she was shocked, and told her that it was almost identical to her engagement ring, haha.  A little bit later, she came up to her, and said that her and her husband had talked it over, and they want to GIVE us the ring straight up.  They won't take any money for it, want to keep it in the family, and since it's exactly what she wanted to invest in anyways, its going to be a ring she's happy with.

I'm really excited about this, and it's extremely gracious of them - but at the same time, I feel a little weird about it.  It's like a 1 carat ring, it's pretty valuable.  She never wears the ring, and was just planning on selling it anyways.  At this point, it seems like something they deem as very unimportant which is sort of blowing my mind.  On the other hand as well, it almost seems like TOO nice of a gesture, like, it's a 2,000 dollar ring and they just want to GIVE it to us.  A part of me just feels very wrong taking it.  I really don't know what to do.

Help?

I feel extremely uncomfortable accepting gifts and money from people unless it's my birthday or something.

On that note, I don't see anything wrong with accepting the ring. It is a mother giving her daughter her dream engagement ring that she was planning on selling at some point anyway. Obviously, I don't know anything about their relationship, but I would think that a mom would see more value in handing something like that down to her child than receiving money for it. I know my mom would.

Congrats in advance on your future engagement!

I feel extremely uncomfortable accepting gifts and money from people unless it's my birthday or something.

On that note, I don't see anything wrong with accepting the ring. It is a mother giving her daughter her dream engagement ring that she was planning on selling at some point anyway. Obviously, I don't know anything about their relationship, but I would think that a mom would see more value in handing something like that down to her child than receiving money for it. I know my mom would.

Congrats in advance on your future engagement!

She nailed it.

I know it's not really your thing to accept crazy stuff like that but I think in this case it's more than appropriate. It's not like some lazy spoiled trustfund mallcore band mooching off kickstarter for more than they need to produce a shitty album. It's her mom passing that down to her. It's Rachel's dream ring and her mom wants to keep it in the family so I don't think there's anything remotely wrong with accepting. There's a difference between blatant selfishness/entitlement and accepting generosity with humility which I'm sure is the only way you'd have it. I'd almost find it more upsetting to deny her the opportunity to play that part in her daughter's life and share something like that with her. It's VERY generous for sure but I think this is a case where it's more important to look at the emotional and sentimental value they would share over the actual pricetag a jeweler would put on it.

Also congrats to you guys!!

definitely take it.  the sentimental value is huge.  just make sure you make a big deal out of the ring being handed down and how special it is to have the ring to remind you to model your relationship after theirs.  blah blah blah.  do it at the engagement party.  they'll feel the warm and fuzzies, the crowd will melt, and you and your future father-in-law can share a handshake and a glass of scotch.  all is right in the world.

depends on the type of people they are.  

If it's a genuine gift, accept it graciously.  

If they are the type of people who will hold their 'generosity' over your head for the rest of thier/your life, well...

this is my thought. my ex's stepmom was the latter type of person. so glad that biotch is out of my life.

So glad for all of the advice!  They are very good people - extremely conservative christian types, very generous and giving, and just general upstanding people, haha.  It's blowing my mind that they would put forth such a kind gesture to us, as neither of us are christians anymore, and we've been living together "outside of marriage", but they are certainly not the type of people that would hold something like this over my head as far as trying to get things out of me in the future.

I think the thing that really makes me scratch my head, is just how it appears overall - even though it's exciting at the moment that she's able to get the ring she wants for free - down the line, I'm just wondering if I'll feel silly for not "making the investment" myself.  Neither of us are people that really put a lot of stock into these sorts of things, so it's just hard for me to process.  I also don't really know how to "repay" them for something like this.  They don't want money, they ask for nothing in return, it sort of makes me feel very childish, and I certainly want to make it very clear how appreciative we are of something like this, and that it wasn't something we "needed", and still show I'm a "capable suitor", haha.  I'm probably just over thinking all of it - I just don't want to be viewed as a cheapskate, or "the son in law that didnt buy my daughter a ring", hahaha I dont know.

^This. I'm sure you treating their daughter with love and respect is the only thing they'd expect in return. Seems like you're definitely overthinking it. It doesn't make you any less worthy of her whether you bought the ring or not. Spending a ton of money on a ring doesn't prove anything of your character or commitment, anyone can spend money on jewelry, disrespectful rich assholes do it all the time. I doubt you'd ever be seen as the son in law that didn't buy a ring (considering they offered one) rather than the son in law that was loving, understanding and supportive for their kid. It's not childish, irresponsible or lazy to accept help or generosity. Like I said, I know that's not really your style considering the stance you have on kickstarter you've spoken about on the Deadhorse FB page but I feel like even with a strong DIY mindset like your own one can't be too independent, stubborn or prideful to accept help with grace. Not that you're prideful but you're definitely a DIY guy haha.