PO: Nirvana - In Utero (3LP 20th Anniversary)

Nothing like getting up early and waiting it the rain for something that will be readily available later.

Better to just let it slide, man. Its never gonna change with the major label big sellers. Nirvana stuff will never stop being pressed and repressed as long as it sells and technically you did get something different. The RSD release is a 3xLP with an LP of b-sides, right? This is just the core album. I know the reason you bought it is for the core album for the most part anyway but it technically is a different release in the grand scheme.

There's no sense being upset or disappointed. Big ticket RSD items will always be repressed later.

McPherson RSD was the 2013 "remix" of the album.  It was a 2xLP that was at the time only exclusive to RSD.   

I agree with you though, RSD is a tough one most of that stuff just keeps getting pumped out.  Except for things that people probably still want like hoarmoaning - Nirvana which they have not reissued since. 

Better to just let it slide, man. Its never gonna change with the major label big sellers. Nirvana stuff will never stop being pressed and repressed as long as it sells and technically you did get something different. The RSD release is a 3xLP with an LP of b-sides, right? This is just the core album. I know the reason you bought it is for the core album for the most part anyway but it technically is a different release in the grand scheme.

Nope no B sides just a 2xLP 45 speed 2013 mix of the album.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If I understand correctly, the 20th Anniversary is a different mix from the 2013 Albini mix. This repress SRC speaks of is of the 20th Anniversary mix, without the 3rd LP that it originally came with. 

Same mix, both use the same lacquers from the Abbey remastering sessions last year. Cut to DMM.

http://www.thelmagazine.com/TheMeasure/archives/2013/09/25/nirvanas-in-utero-2013-mix-examined

http://www.nirvana.com/news/nirvana-in-utero-20th-anniversary-reissue-out-september-24 - read the second bullet point.

Stories like this:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/nirvanas-in-utero-2013-mix-headed-to-vinyl-20131009

... have misled some into thinking that the anniversary edition and the 2013 remix are different cuts, they;re not.

How do you continue to be the least knowledgeable, but most sure of himself person in this topic? It blows my mind.

Read the full thread and you'd be better informed.

The only musical difference is that the Anniversary Edition has the bonus LP. The musical content of the 45rpm records are both pressed from the same DMM master made by Pallas GmbH in Germany for Pallas USA in association with Furnace Mfg. They come from difference stampers though, but that is about it. All it is, is a stripped down version sans the bonus disc marketed in a new sleeve and a new subtitle. Similar to when Alive released The Big Come Up in a negative sleeve. It;s just a contrast and helps market the item further. All they;ve done is extend the sales life of the record.

You're wrong. Disc 2 of the CD version had the 2013 mixes, which were omitted from the vinyl release and were released separately for RSD Black Friday.

Here's a track-by-track rundown of what's different in the 2013 mix:

http://www.thelmagazine.com/TheMeasure/archives/2013/09/25/nirvanas-in-utero-2013-mix-examined?showFullText=true

No. They are 2 different mixes (I know because I have them both).

The yellow 3LP (2x45/1x33) copy with the b-sides/rareties LP is the original In Utero remastered.

The black copy(2x45) that originally came out on RSD:BF is a new mix Albini created from the original tapes. This is a re-release of that.

The confusion is created because the remastering AND the new mix were both done and released in 2013 and have been labeled as such. In addition there has been so much talk of the "Albini mix" of IU over the years, that a new mix also done by Albini confuses matters. Also people not knowing the difference between what a mix and master is.

In regards to the 3LP vs ORG pressings

I have both. I thought the sound quality was comparable (the anniversary was slightly better)

I think it really comes down to if you want to play the album on 1 LP at 33 or 2 at 45 but also get another disc of pretty essential Nirvana tracks. And price too.