Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion

mrewest

Do you have any thoughts on which presses sound the best for the S/T album and AtE/BtS?

Those are the 2 main post-rock albums left that I haven't yet acquired. I've been debating picking up the dual release, but the cover artwork for AtE/BtS is so sick that I want to have that.

I think the 2nd presses sound great

Do you have any thoughts on which presses sound the best for the S/T album and AtE/BtS?

Those are the 2 main post-rock albums left that I haven't yet acquired. I've been debating picking up the dual release, but the cover artwork for AtE/BtS is so sick that I want to have that.

I think the 2nd presses sound great on both albums and should be less expensive. My listening copies are the /100 Orange ST 2nd press and /300 Opaque Blue for AtE.

You just don't want the 1st Press Tour Haze for AtE for a listening copy as the grit is unreal.

hey friends, I'm looking for recommendations for artists that sound like Tristeza from Spine and Sensory release era?

I'm going to start at the beginning of this thread and try to make my way through it.

My favorite of theirs, and they may have gotten a 'mention' earlier in the thread, but we have not discussed them. I have only seen their albums in one collection, and I don't own any vinyl, but at least half of their albums on mp3.

Gonna give this a whirl tonight doing paperwork and see if any RIYL's come to mind :)

hey friends, I'm looking for recommendations for artists that sound like Tristeza from Spine and Sensory release era?

I'm going to start at the beginning of this thread and try to make my way through it.

Instrumental, mellow, clean guitars in front, with percussion/bass in the background, straight time signatures (not mathy), no "wall of sound" portions typical of Explosions-type groups.

The Six Parts Seven - start with "Everywhere Here Right And Now" and work back, probably the closest match (disbanded)
Signal Hill - everything, start with "Chase The Ghost" and work back (active)
The Mercury Program (jazzy rhythm esp. drumming, vibraphone) - everything (active, new album coming out soon)
The Samuel Jackson Five - Start with "Easily Misunderstood" - has some more 'heavy' moments vs. Spine and Sensory, but not real heavy haha. A Classic.Some other albums you may find closer to Spine and Sensory (active)

lesser known but personal favorites:
All The Bright Lights - contagious melodies built around clean guitars, S/T is a favorite.
My Dad vs Yours - track "Habla Paisano" should be a good indication
Always The Runner - track "Telling Lies Over Lattes" should be a good indication
Miaou - track "Hello World" from album: All Around Us

there were others, but that's a lot of material right there, hope at least one is match you have not heard before :)

Welcome aboard!

I think the 2nd presses sound great on both albums and should be less expensive. My listening copies are the /100 Orange ST 2nd press and /300 Opaque Blue for AtE.

You just don't want the 1st Press Tour Haze for AtE for a listening copy as the grit is unreal.

Sick, thanks dude. That's exactly the kind of thing I was hoping to hear from someone. For the S/T album, I really love how the orange & black splatter looks, but the prices for that edition are absolutely crazy.

By the way, if anybody would like a clear/black "Red Forest" I've got a couple I'd like to get rid of for cost+shipping (got hit with almost $400 in medical bills, blah).

Waking Aida full stream is up.  I'm digging it hard.  Doesn't pack the punch that Eschaton had, but it's still really good.  Eschaton had more of a summer vibe to it, Full Heal sounds like a nice winter album.  I feel like if Maybeshewill's Fair Youth didn't do it for you, this is much more satisfying.  Which kind of makes sense because I believe the bassist from Maybeshewill is Waking Aida's producer.  There are a few huge parts on this album that just really kind of knocks you back because they are timed perfectly.  One thing I've really come to love about these guys is the timing of their albums.  They know exactly when to pack a punch, which proves to be really effective.  Really impressed they could so quickly follow up last year's masterpiece with another fantastic album.  Can't wait for my vinyl.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/features/waking-aida--full-heal-exclusive-album-stream-10510345.html

EDIT:  I've decided the best way to describe this album is a perfect counter-piece to Eschaton.  

Sick, thanks dude. That's exactly the kind of thing I was hoping to hear from someone. For the S/T album, I really love how the orange & black splatter looks, but the prices for that edition are absolutely crazy.

By the way, if anybody would like a clear/black "Red Forest" I've got a couple I'd like to get rid of for cost+shipping (got hit with almost $400 in medical bills, blah).

will probably take you up on one of those

will probably take you up on one of those

Sweet, excellent. Would you want to trade maybe for a tour copy of the new Caspian album? I'm pretty sure that the ITTCT was $27 new (that's the price that's coming to my mind, I'm not 100% though) so the prices would even out, as the Caspian record is $25.

Also, can anybody comment on the quality of Pg.Lost's vinyl version of "It's Not Me, It's You!"? I'm about to snag that for a stupid, stupid price, but.... I need this album. I just don't want to regret it after dropping a shitload of cash.

Same with Key...

I just picked up a Self-titled 2nd-press orange from our good friend here, Sasan! I cannot fucking wait to play this.

Sweet, excellent. Would you want to trade maybe for a tour copy of the new Caspian album? I'm pretty sure that the ITTCT was $27 new (that's the price that's coming to my mind, I'm not 100% though) so the prices would even out, as the Caspian record is $25.

Also, can anybody comment on the quality of Pg.Lost's vinyl version of "It's Not Me, It's You!"? I'm about to snag that for a stupid, stupid price, but.... I need this album. I just don't want to regret it after dropping a shitload of cash.

Same with Key...

I'll see if I can make that happen if I have enough money to drop at that time. I shoulldd though. I'll shoot you a PM if I'm able to grab an extra.

And I think iv seen that it's not me its you floating around out there. Crazy priced. The half and half Key variant I have sounds incredible though.

Quality? Perfect. Sounds so, so good. I love the vinyl artwork, too, but that's more on a personal level.

hi there is a free leech at what and i need advice on what to get and I want everything!

i already have all or most of:

mogwai

explosions

IFTCT

god is an astronout

godspeed

caspian

really i'll grab anything to check out, so, thanks in advance!

You also need:

Jakob

Sleepmakeswaves

Pg.Lost

Giants

Beware of Safety

Rosetta

Junius

Isis

Baulta

Pray For Sound

I/O

North

Maybeshewill

Audrey Fall

Joy Wants Eternity

This Will Destroy You

thank you, pretty much exactly what I wanted.  I have TWDY and PGLost but nothing else.!!!!

I can't believe I forgot these guys!!!!

So, this is one of the first groups I got into besides If These Trees Could Talk when I was discovering post-rock for the firs time. I never see them talked about here much but I think they are tremendous songwriters and have an awesome, powerful sound. Heavy post-rock with piano always hits me hard, haha.

Tides From Nebula. My favorite album is "Earthshine".

The opening track is my favorite, I think. These guys incorporate delay pedals for making guitar rhythms a lot like If These Trees Could Talk and Jakob do, using the dotted 8th note rhythm that The Edge from U2 uses and which David Gilmour from Pink Floyd used a lot on The Wall. (Think "Where The Streets Have No Name" and "Run Like Hell").

These guys are so awesome, and deserve tons of recognition.

I can't believe I forgot these guys!!!!

So, this is one of the first groups I got into besides If These Trees Could Talk when I was discovering post-rock for the firs time. I never see them talked about here much but I think they are tremendous songwriters and have an awesome, powerful sound. Heavy post-rock with piano always hits me hard, haha.

Tides From Nebula. My favorite album is "Earthshine".

The opening track is my favorite, I think. These guys incorporate delay pedals for making guitar rhythms a lot like If These Trees Could Talk and Jakob do, using the dotted 8th note rhythm that The Edge from U2 uses and which David Gilmour from Pink Floyd used a lot on The Wall. (Think "Where The Streets Have No Name" and "Run Like Hell").

These guys are so awesome, and deserve tons of recognition.

Yes, they are great --and, seriously you need to start a blog/vlog. It will do wonders for you.

Yes, they are great --and, seriously you need to start a blog/vlog. It will do wonders for you.

Haha, why? Because I like to go off talking about music? I would never do a video thing. That just seems so... weirdly egotistical. I like writing this shit, because its just how I think/feel. I guess it just feels good to freak out and be poetic about music? Haha, I don't know exactly where it comes from. It's just how my brain works.

Actually... no, it probably comes from my friends in high school. This is kind of just what we did; talk animatedly and exaggeratedly about music. Using big crazy descriptions to make ourselves laugh and be ridiculous.

• 4 weeks later...

EITS get a lot of flack and eye-rolls for being the template for all the yawn-inducing crescendocore out there, but I can't deny my love for Earth Is Not. And All of a Sudden. And Those Who Tell the Truth. There are other releases in their discography worth exploring, but those three albums have stood the test of time for me.

• jhulud locked this topic