Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion

mrewest

I don't know how big this will post. sorry if it's redic as im on mobile and can't adjust.

the bottom line is just there because I don't have the recent version in my cloud. ignore it. but I can get him that font and we can roll from there.

here's what was posted to IG if you missed it.

9BDEACF7-AEAD-4626-8F6D-B686C393BD74.png

On another note, Armageddon Shop on Discogs just threw up some great deals on some classic post-rock LP's. I was able to pick up Deadhorse - We Can Create Our Own World (an album I've been casually hunting for a while) and Do Make Say Think - You, You're A History in Rust for $9.99 apiece. They've got & Yet & Yet up for $5.99.

actually grabbed both of these without realizing you had mentioned it ITT. Both came yesterday and sound so so so so so good. 

12356601_1741600769404666_354193209_n.jp

And my only visual qualm is the list text. Doesn't match the rest. And I hate centered text for a list. But that's just my personal opinion. My favorite is the brush stroke on the title. Subtle, yet clean

Nice work, man.

Debated using serif or not and figured I'd try it to tie it in with the "as presented by" at the top (I have a thing for juxtaposing geometric sans fonts with serifs). I tried using different justifications and I agree centering looks weird but it seemed like the lesser of evils. Considering we have tiny little titles like "jakob - solace" vs GY!BE, it looks awkward no matter what haha. Either way I obviously still have the .psd saved so everything can be edited! Thanks!

That font choice for the top text though. *kisses fingertips*

You know me man haha, total typography junkie haha.

HrsUXec.jpg

WHOAAAA - we can create our own world?!  I am beyond flattered!  I love all of you so much!  :D :D :D  One of these days I promise to write a follow up album to that, I really truly will.

I'm holding you to this Brian, next time I visit my parents I'm gonna drive up to your place and scream at you and Rachel to get on it until you make me leave. xoxo

WHOAAAA - we can create our own world?!  I am beyond flattered!  I love all of you so much!  :D :D :D  One of these days I promise to write a follow up album to that, I really truly will.

We were definitely hoping to meet you on tour sometime after the Demo CD, but we understand life happens, the moves, etc etc (and the Euro tour thing).  Can you at least load in the MCMXIII to discogs one day :blinkyblinky: ? My daughter still thinks the homemade CD covers Rachel made are great!

Well seeing as you guys pretty much covered the top 15 essential Post-Rock albums, I figured I'd throw in a few gems that I have fallen in love with over the years (some might be a bit math-y/prog-y):

1. Powder! Go Away - Closer To Cold

2. Tides - Resurface

3. Barrows - Imprecari Island

4. Yodaka - Yodaka

5. Omega Massif - Geisterstadt

6. Irepress - Samus Octology

7. 7parsec - Red Comet

8. Tarentel ‎– From Bone To Satellite

9. The Waters Deep Here - Sunden

10. Meniscus - Absence of I

11. Sleeping Bear - Sleeping Bear

12. Our Ceasing Voice - When the Headline Hit Home

finally put my tie-breakers in haha. Been super fucking busy the last couple weeks with work, coaching, and family shit for the holidays.

No time for the interboards. haha

Been listening to Shy, Low "Hiraeth" a lot.

Also got my copy of "It's Not Me, It's You!" in the mail, and it's scratched and noisy as fuck.

It was insured though via the German post.... do you guys think I can file a claim? I'm trying to be civil about this, and I'm going to take it to get cleaned, but I spent a lot of money on this fucker and want to listen to it cleanly.

Dude said it was NM who I bought it from...

Also got my copy of "It's Not Me, It's You!" in the mail, and it's scratched and noisy as fuck.

It was insured though via the German post.... do you guys think I can file a claim? I'm trying to be civil about this, and I'm going to take it to get cleaned, but I spent a lot of money on this fucker and want to listen to it cleanly.

Dude said it was NM who I bought it from...

How should German post be made responsible for a scratched and noisy record? Either, it was scratched before or it was packed shitty. In both cases it's the seller's fault...

Finally gave that Deadhorse album a proper listen. No qualms at all about that making the top 15. Sure, it's a familiar sound, but it's executed extremely well. Lots of different feels going on there. Need to try & grab a copy of that somehow!

I like it and it's done well. But it's repeating everything that has been done before again and again. And I could name you 50 PR-records that are more essential (IMO) ;):P

https://soundcloud.com/difficults

not exactly post rock but I think most of you can probably get into it. my roommate just showed me this dude's music today and I'm really digging it. some glitchy electronic stuff on top of ambiance with occasional guitars. it's really good music to just space out to. If you like Hammock, Helios and older TWDY you'll probably be about it.

I've been experimenting with adding field recordings to my own stuff (there's a lot in my new album I'm trying to wrap up) so I appreciate any relaxing music I find with that in it lately.

How should German post be made responsible for a scratched and noisy record? Either, it was scratched before or it was packed shitty. In both cases it's the seller's fault...

Fair point. This is why I ask you guys, haha. It was packaged pretty good... outside of the jackets and everything. I think the discs slid out of the sleeves enough to get abrasions from the cardboard mailer, becuase they're all close to the edge of the discs.

I'll have more time to inspect tomorrow. It just sucks because we settled outside of Discogs and I don't want to open a claim with paypal. The dude has been super responsive to emails and very easy to deal with. Is this just something I have to sit back and accept, people suck at grading and analyzing the condition of their stuff?

Gonna take it to my record shop and have them clean and spin it, because I think my needle is fucked anyway which could be hurting the sound. I threw on Immortal's Sons of Northern Darkness the other day and it sounded like absolute dog shit. My friend was over, and I was embarrassed. Not sure what that was about.

I'd definitely check to make sure it's not a cleaning issue or one with your setup, Gumbo. Like I said before, the copy that I have is sonically flawless. Hopefully you'll be able to get it straightened out. It's definitely an album that deserves to be listened to in its proper format.

Is this just something I have to sit back and accept, people suck at grading and analyzing the condition of their stuff?

This is why, for all records that I think I'm really going to treasure, I ask for pictures. I'm not going to care as much if it's just something I'm picking up for $15ppd, but if I'm dropping some serious change, it's nice to have at least some kind of visual so I know what I'm buying. Just my two cents.

I'd definitely check to make sure it's not a cleaning issue or one with your setup, Gumbo. Like I said before, the copy that I have is sonically flawless. Hopefully you'll be able to get it straightened out. It's definitely an album that deserves to be listened to in its proper format.

This is why, for all records that I think I'm really going to treasure, I ask for pictures. I'm not going to care as much if it's just something I'm picking up for $15ppd, but if I'm dropping some serious change, it's nice to have at least some kind of visual so I know what I'm buying. Just my two cents.

Yeah I actually just picked up a new Shure stylus today, haven't gotten a chance to spin anything with it yet but I'm hoping that helps. My old was definitely worn out from being used a lot for the past 5 years and never replaced.

But yeah, the thing has scratches and was noisy as fuck. Hoping the VPI at my local record shop can fix it. Also gotta get my copy of Hiraeth cleaned. Good lord, that thing is a sand trap. Never seen anything like that before ever...

Finally wrapping up writing for the album I've been working on since July 2014 and freaking dang it's a relief to finally be close to releasing it. Once I wrap up the mixing on it I might throw it in a zip and drop a link if anyone would be into checking it out before I officially release it.  ;)

Finally wrapping up writing for the album I've been working on since July 2014 and freaking dang it's a relief to finally be close to releasing it. Once I wrap up the mixing on it I might throw it in a zip and drop a link if anyone would be into checking it out before I officially release it.  ;)

I definitely want to check it out!

• jhulud locked this topic