'La Dispute are not a band. La Dispute are an infection. A scratch that cannot be itched'

• 2 weeks later...

I like the lyrics. Sometimes they are a little too dramatic and over the top, but I don't listen to music for it to be mundane and stale. 

The vocals I have grown to love, but at first I almost stopped listening after the first 5 seconds of his voice. They are pretty much love/hate and every once in a while I think  his vocals sound amazing and every once in a while I am embarrassed for listening to it. 

Musically, I really like what they are doing and at least the drummer is talented (I know nothing about guitars). They sound super clean and use a lot of instruments very well, I like how they are doing somewhat technical stuff without it overpowering the music and coming off as "showy". I appreciate how they can go from loud to soft pretty seamlessly. 

I just don't get why people put effort into hating on a band. If you don't like it, then who cares. Who made you god of the music goodness rating system? There are tons of bands that I think are horrible that I don't care if people like them or not. 

I am also 30 years old, so I don't fall into the angsty 19 year old crowd. The last album dealt with serious issues like depression, crime in black america, mental illness, losing loved ones, and wondering what the future holds for you and if you will be able to cope with the tragedy and pain and not actually knowing until it happens. The last album was more mature than the "a girl doesn't like me anymore, lets cry about it together" type stuff.

Now touche amore, I really don't understand why so many people like that band. The music is bland and very static (as in not going anywhere). The lead singers lyrics sound like he is on the verge of suicide because no one wants to be his friend all the time, and my response is "well no-one wants to be your friend because you are on the verge of suicide all the time brah". I also don't here much talent coming out of their music either. 

Someone brought up Dave Mathews band and I used to be a hater because of their fans and how everyone wanted to go on and on about how they were the best band to grace the earth. Then I spent some time and listened to them and realized that they are some of the most talented musicians I have ever heard and just not my cup o' tea. 

Someone brought up Dave Mathews band and I used to be a hater because of their fans and how everyone wanted to go on and on about how they were the best band to grace the earth. Then I spent some time and listened to them and realized that they are some of the most talented musicians I have ever heard and just not my cup o' tea. 

I still say DMB sucks (and chances are I will until the day I die), and for the most part don't see the 'talent.'

HOWEVER, there is one thing about them that definitely does not suck (and is crazy talented), and it's this man right here:

carterbeauforddunnett.jpg

Yea, I think that is mostly what I am talking about coming from a drumming background. I don't know much about guitars really so I just took others word that DM could play pretty good and really talented. 

I found it pretty surprising that in the best guitarrist of our generation thread I kept seeing John Mayer pop up. I mean, I knew he was good, but I didn't know he was that good. I also found it surprising that the Muse bassist is supposed to be one of the best of our generation. I just never noticed. 

For me, personally, I would have said this guy was the best guitarrist of my generation. A true genius. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Weinman

La Dispute breaks the number one rule of writing angsty lyrics: they need to be way more angsty than lyrical. I don't want to hear a song with a long winded metaphor about a girl breaking your heart. I want to hear you call her a whore for cheating and wish she gets in a car wreck.

Also I've been farting all night. And therefore been smiling all night. Cus it's funny.

listen to emmure.

• 2 months later...

bump, i just listned to this and all i can think of is

trainwreck.gif

This post is hilarious, AND a tidbit factoid this was the most expensive shot in all of the silent film era.

also,

I don't like LD's lyrics. I don't like LD's music. I don't like how rabid their fanbase is.

I don't like TA's lyrics. I don't like TA's music. I don't like how rabid their fanbase is.

I don't know if I am a 'convertee', but I never could get into their older albums. This is the first one I've listened to and thought, 'not too bad.'

Yeah. More of what I feel. It's cool seeing them get a little less dramatic and whiny and more concise. I just think it's overall so, so much better than anything else I've heard by them.

damn used 2 fap to them just like touche amore and defeater. thought these were lyrical gems. i cant groove to them at all anymore, listening to la dispute is like a slap to my prepubescent weenie. although i can still handle touche amores old stuff sometimes and defeaters old stuff, i dont like the Wave bands anymore. touche amore used to be pretty hardcore, and now they're just a stop on the old scene kid's path to punk.  (scene kids though, how do they still exist?)