'La Dispute are not a band. La Dispute are an infection. A scratch that cannot be itched'

God forbid we talk shit about brand new.

But La Dispute is great, reminds me of old Mewithoutyou and that's why i like it so much.  Over hyped? What bands aren't? Its all taste. The fact that people are saying if you like them you don't know "good music" is fucking stupid. 

Edited by Royce

God forbid we talk shit about brand new.

But La Dispute is great, reminds me of old Mewithoutyou and that's why i like it so much. Over hyped? What bands aren't? Its all taste. The fact that people are saying if you like them you don't know "good music" is fucking stupid.

Fuck brand new, are you happy now?

You'd hope so, right?

Over hyped? What bands aren't? Its all taste.

To answer your question, a lot of bands. If you find a thread at VC that isn't being mobbed, but still has a handful of members actively discussing the artist or album at hand... chances are it's pretty solid. Just a rule of thumb I've discovered in my time here.

Regarding taste, I agree. Music is entirely personalized taste. Good taste, bad taste, angsty-lovesick-teen taste. You name it.

Wow after reading through this thread I feel like La Dispute is the new Dave Matthews Band. Yeah, I really did just make the comparison.

Sounds like a lot of ya'll really do just hate the music, but it also sounds like a lot of ya'll hate them because of a select group of douche fans that make it easy to hate the band.

In either case, I love both bands, on my own, because I love their music, their lyrics, and their performances, but I don't associate myself with said groups of douche fans.

In relating back to DMB, I've personally known a bunch of people that say "Fuck DMB, what a piece of shit band." And then I ask why & it's always related to their fans. Yet other than singles, they haven't even listened to them.

Reading through this thread I see a lot of "Listened to 5 seconds...and now I've determined that La Dispute blows". I think that's a ridiculous way to judge a band.

I agree that Jordan's lyrics can be a bit over the top & just fancy ways to say some clichèd "Cry me a river" style things, but what about songs like "King Park", "I See Everything" & "Edward Benz...27 Times"? I don't see how fault can be found in songs like that.

Wildlife as a whole is one of my favorite albums. I think from start to finish it's very complete & paints a perfect picture of what the name of the album implies.

Just my input there.

Wow after reading through this thread I feel like La Dispute is the new Dave Matthews Band. Yeah, I really did just make the comparison.

Sounds like a lot of ya'll really do just hate the music, but it also sounds like a lot of ya'll hate them because of a select group of douche fans that make it easy to hate the band.

In either case, I love both bands, on my own, because I love their music, their lyrics, and their performances, but I don't associate myself with said groups of douche fans.

In relating back to DMB, I've personally known a bunch of people that say "Fuck DMB, what a piece of shit band." And then I ask why & it's always related to their fans. Yet other than singles, they haven't even listened to them.

Reading through this thread I see a lot of "Listened to 5 seconds...and now I've determined that La Dispute blows". I think that's a ridiculous way to judge a band.

I agree that Jordan's lyrics can be a bit over the top & just fancy ways to say some clichèd "Cry me a river" style things, but what about songs like "King Park", "I See Everything" & "Edward Benz...27 Times"? I don't see how fault can be found in songs like that.

Wildlife as a whole is one of my favorite albums. I think from start to finish it's very complete & paints a perfect picture of what the name of the album implies.

Just my input there.

Upvoted and agreed.  You can't judge any band based off a fraction of a single song.  My personal distaste comes from familiarity with the band's material, for what it's worth.  And as far as the songs you've brought up -- they definitely fall into the interesting (or at least tolerable) lyrics.  I can respect those immensely more than the goofy, try-hard, "emotionally profound" drivel throughout Vega.  Jordan can deliver some pretty good stories when he's not laying down the darlings and melodrama.

Farts.

Also a pretty good point.

I agree with Vega. I dislike most of that album except for a couple songs. But I was blown away by how good I thought Wildlife was.

And I'll never take issue with anyone that's given a band an extended chance & hates them.

Just sounds to me like there's a lot of hating in here simply just to hate.

Just sounds to me like there's a lot of hating in here simply just to hate.

Group mentality.  What can you do?  Hate is a really powerful word, too.  The band are writing their own music, and it's honest -- even if it's not for everyone's ears.  That alone earns them more respect than most of the pop puppets that grace the radio charts.  At least from me.  And for what it's worth, I've never had a problem with their fan base.  Lahispute can be pretty goofy, but other than that I haven't noticed a specific "group" among their fans.  The teens who worship them can be pretty annoying, but I think that applies to any youthful fanatic of any band.

I genuinely love Wildlife because it came out at a time when I lost someone very close to me, it helped me remember that everyone will at one point have to deal with something tremendously painful, and that letting go will take time. It helped my grieving process, and it was something I needed at that time.

Not trying to be all squishy about it, just honest. Music is a great tool, and certain bands aren't for everyone- and never will be.

Just my input there.

College, bro

La Dispute breaks the number one rule of writing angsty lyrics: they need to be way more angsty than lyrical. I don't want to hear a song with a long winded metaphor about a girl breaking your heart. I want to hear you call her a whore for cheating and wish she gets in a car wreck.

Also I've been farting all night. And therefore been smiling all night. Cus it's funny.