Post Your Record Storage Area

I've had it suggested twice that I should have them be shorter, but make a lid that goes over. What do you think, box encase the 7" entirely or only go up about 4-5" and then make a lid that makes up for the rest?

I personally would raise it to 5 inches in height, maybe 6 at the most. It makes it a bit harder to reach the sleeves when they're covered from all sides and have to be picked up from the top (if that makes sense).

Now that I've had a chance to flip through it, I'm kind of seeing this, which is also one main gripe when I'm at record stores and flipping through 7 inchers. If I get a full break tomorrow, I'll slap another together with shorter dimensions and see how it works. Also going to throw in hand holds and rounded edges if I have the time.

has anyone ever modified their expedits to have a back or ledge to stop their records from pushing all the way through?

I've thought about nailing a thin strip of wood from one side to the other of each cube with records, just to keep them from poking back. Only problem I ran into was rearranging my shelf, and not wanting to have to pry out the strips of wood.

This may sound really stupid but can anyone tell me where to get a box like this.

For my 7"s i use a photo/index card box from Michaels, it was like 2 or 3 bucks, fits em perfect. Its hard to see, but its in the bottom (ignore the Crosley, upgrading soon)

[image]

pretty much this, but mine is all black http://www.michaels.com/Recollections-Photo-Craft-Storage-Boxes/sb1442,default,pd.html?start=2&cgid=products-scrapbooking-recollections-storage

Once I dial in the 7" versions, I'll see how a 10/12" would hold up. This is 1/4" and it's pretty stout, but I'd probably shorten it a little so it doesn't end up weight 500 pounds.

And yes, plexiglas or just standard acrylic, same thing. I work for a plastic company that does custom fabrication, so I have access to a shit ton of tools, all designed for working with plastic. Base is made from the same thing as the sides, just standard acrylic.

has anyone ever modified their expedits to have a back or ledge to stop their records from pushing all the way through?

I use small spring tension curtain rods. You can pick them up at Walmart or Home Depot/Lowes for like $2 a piece. Just get one that will fit the cube width, adjust it so it fits snug, put it in the back, and you're done.

[image]

i wonder if home depot/lowes has a decent thickness acrylic that they could cut. what did you seal it with?

I use weld on #3, I'm sure there is something easier to use though, just not sure what it would be. The weld on stuff is consistency of water though, not easy to use, but dries within a minute and is stronger than any sort of glue

I use small spring tension curtain rods. You can pick them up at Walmart or Home Depot/Lowes for like $2 a piece. Just get one that will fit the cube width, adjust it so it fits snug, put it in the back, and you're done.

[image]

thats nice, i was going to nail some wood behind each cube, but that looks like it wouldnt be a bad idea at all

thats nice, i was going to nail some wood behind each cube, but that looks like it wouldnt be a bad idea at all

I had some lying around in my garage the day I was looking for a way to keep the records closer to the front of the cube and I thought it might work. The ones I had were too long, so I cut the inner tube and the outer tube with a hacksaw, filed the rough edges, and it worked like a charm.

The only downside is, if you push the records in too hard (which most people wouldn't anyway), you can push the rod out behind the cubes. My son taught me this lesson when he was learning to walk and he would use the records to support his weight.

hey look theres me on that box!

This may sound really stupid but can anyone tell me where to get a box like this.

http://www.sleevetown.com/record-storage.shtml

It's called the "Ultimate 7" Record Storage Box", and that's exactly what it is. They come with lids too in case you wanted to stack them or something.

From like, 3 pages back.

And flood, yea dude if it's a free sticker it's on a box somewhere haha

wall o' vinyl made with shelves I got from a video store

[image]

I would love to do something like this to display new arrivals and the like but wall space is so scarce that I couldn't see that happening. This looks great.

It looks much cleaner if you use the Ribba picture ledges from Ikea:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40126069/

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30152596/

Like this:

[image]

wood chest o' vinyl (ghetto)

[image]

i really like the chest idea. can i get some more photos of that?

yea I'll have to take a few more then. Its basically just a wooden chest that opens up but someone had cut the top that opens up as you can see in the pic and I haven't replaced it yet so thats why I said it looks kind of ghetto.

[image]

Nice!

I took a small 1x3 piece pine and made a U shape. The flat bottom part bumps up against the records and the two stem parts extend past the expedit and bump into the wall. I like this way because I was able to push the records forward a bit further than just nailing a piece of wood to the back of the expedit.

It looks much cleaner if you use the Ribba picture ledges from Ikea:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40126069/

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30152596/

Like this:

[image]

yes that looks great but I am on a tight budget and the shelves i got were free :P

I think they both look really good from different aesthetic stand points. I look at the wire based one and think of older dustier record shops while the Ikea ones look like something from a newer store. Both very cool though!

• jhulud locked this topic