Do you ever buy records just to flip?

Guest Timbo_Slice

People get way too elitist on here but I always re-invest it in more records.

If it's something that's only limited I won't but otherwise if black is also available I most definitely will.

I'll flip anything really from flea markets to clearance items at big chain stores. If I can sell an lp for 90 bucks and get 3-4 records fuck yes I will. Ebayer's in particular get impatient rather quickly and the bid the fuck out of some band's first lp it's just delusional.

At the same time i'll always sell pretty much close to retail to someone on here because they genuinely want it.

It also bugs the shit out of me that some people want to ask the same amount of money for a used record that is widely available.

I have no problem taking a loss on stuff that i've bought and can be found anywhere.

People who solely buy records with the mentality of investments and "flipability factor" are getting into this for all the wrong reasons. If you want to invest money, then buy stocks somewhere.

Records are mainly to listen to the music that is on them and support the bands and artists making that art. Sure, if down the road you either outgrow the music or even your record collection, may as well sell it.

People who see records as nothing more than shit like Beanie Babies were or even comic books back in the 90's, they just disappoint me.

Oh well.

I have bought records that I thought would be valuble someday with the intentions of listening to them, but then didn't like it before I even opened the record. It doesn't happen that often, but there are probably 5 records that I have that have never been listened to or even opened. 

My problem is that I am too lazy to sell my records. I would just rather let them sit than to be bothered trying to sell them on Ebay. I've sold two records on ebay only to have crappy experiences both times. 

So I am the worst kind of flipper. 

Guest Timbo_Slice

I really don't see the issue. 

Also people gave me shit for calling "record collecting" a hobby. Please elaborate about what would be a more appropriate term. A lifestyle? an Interest? I buy records from bands I like. If there is a better or more VC term than Hobby I am all ears.