The Wonder Years - The Greatest Generation out May 14th

Figured I'd post this here instead of making a new thread. Since I'm going for a complete collection, I was looking up the Don't Let Me Cave In 7". I know there is the grey & orange ones that were released but apparently No Sleep released some in their subscriptions. I came across this statement from Soupy. He says that the 7" in the subscription was the "least rare color" but all the pictures I've seen of them [No Sleep variants] say/show it's dark blue or black.

My question is: are the official variants the orange and grey marble ones? If yes, how can No Sleep have the "least rare" color when it's not the grey marble? Just curious so I don't end up wasting money on a record that isn't actually part of the collection.

The subscription service "variant" is just the least rare color with a photocopied picture as the "exclusive cover" that's a picture of almost no one in the band. None of this was run by us, approved by us or is acknowledged as a variant by us. No Sleep just did that shit. This is an actual variant color that the band had input on the creation and dispensing of. Obviously my opinion on what variants do or do not exist is not the be all end all, but I kind of feel like, if a third party who had legit no part in the release of the 7" throws a whack "cover" over a record without the band being aware, it's not a variant.

Figured I'd post this here instead of making a new thread. Since I'm going for a complete collection, I was looking up the Don't Let Me Cave In 7". I know there is the grey & orange ones that were released but apparently No Sleep released some in their subscriptions. I came across this statement from Soupy. He says that the 7" in the subscription was the "least rare color" but all the pictures I've seen of them [No Sleep variants] say/show it's dark blue or black.

My question is: are the official variants the orange and grey marble ones? If yes, how can No Sleep have the "least rare" color when it's not the grey marble? Just curious so I don't end up wasting money on a record that isn't actually part of the collection.

did you find that quote on AP.net? if yes, then he said that in response to something i had said. i actually decided to sell my RSD variant of WBPF because i felt silly owning it at that point.

edit: i preordered suburbia and my "don't let me cave in" is grey grey, and the hank the pigeon contest variants are orange. i don't think there was ever a black variant but i know some of the grey ones turned out dark or almost black from the marbling. those are the only two variants i know of, aside from the 2011 sub.

Which makes me not want it since the band wasn't even behind the release. That'll save me a decent bit of time and money by crossing those two off and not needing to worry about them. I just want to make sure they aren't part of it before I do that.

soupy has taken pictures of his complete collection before (pre-TGG) and it didn't have the subscription or RSD variants, if that makes you feel any better.

That's really weird.  Looks like Soupy's not a fan of Chris and No Sleep...at least that's what anyone would gather from reading that.

pretty sure they're still on good terms but yeah there was a little bit of falling out. but they agreed to do sleeping on trash recently so i'd say it's water under the bridge.

I don't think the RSD variant should be counted as a different variant because it is just the orange 7" from the third pressing but I still think you should count the subscription variant because there is a black one. I have the grey and the black and there is a clear difference in the color. 

Also, I bet if No Sleep had handled the vinyl release of this record it would have came out so much better. 

just my two cents...

Got my Blue from MerchNow in the mail today. Shitty packaging, I must say (corners were bent). Oh well, I just need to listen to it and see how it sounds. I got the Devil 7 inch. The gray I pre-ordered from Hot Topic looks a lot better (especially packaging). I'm really hoping they don't sound as crappy as some people are saying. This is a great album and it needs to be heard on vinyl. 

I'm with you. If I was a complete variant collector, I'd count pressed dog shit if it was from the band I collected. Drama just makes those items more unique. I'd want them more.

I mean, if I stumble across them for a reasonable price, then I might pick it up. But I'm not going to go out of my way to spend a chunk of change for them.