Coffee Collective

Anyone else completely obsessed? I work at Starbucks and I know people tend to disregard us because they don't think we carry high quality coffee... I think they're just as grossed out as most baristas about Frappuccinos ruining coffee culture. I'm lucky enough to work at a reserve store where we carry exotic, single-origin, ethically sourced, one batch coffees. I guess the point of this thread is to share new coffees you try, the best you've ever tasted, brewing methods, kinds you'd like to try, and if anyone else works at an espresso bar this could be a forum to talk shit about your job! 

Personally, I think I found my favorite the other day. It's a Brazilian Bourbon Rio Verde. Notes of plum and milk chocolate. To die for.

This past winter I went to Costa Rica and went to a family owned coffee plantation in the mountains. Hands down the best coffee I have ever had.

Jealous. My cousin was there as well and brought back some tasty coffee.

The one time I bought Starbucks was in the winter. Whatever their regular dark roast is with gingerbread flavor and black. It was delicious but I had to piss like 5 times after.

Rival Bros, Reanimator, La Columbe, Peddler and Flat Black Coffee are my personal favorites. I just had the Papua New Guinea from Rival Bros on Saturday, it was damn good. La Columbe also recently put out an Ethiopian coffee called YirgZ (much to my surprise, it was being offered alongside their standard Corsica). It was an incredibly sweet and lighter brew. Very fruity, it is made with tangerine, red grapes, and plums. Much different from the dark stuff I usually drink.

I feel so mainstream for working at Starbucks :( I just wish more people appreciated the craft and it wasn't about coffee-less vanilla bean frappuccinos for 12 year old girls. I opened the first Clover store in the area and I'm selling maybe 3 reserve coffees a shift. Total bummer. But I do agree with HoneyFrosted. I've been drinking a Zambian peaberry from the Terranova Estate iced every day for about a month as my drink of choice.

Had the best coffee living in Ecuador. Really anything South American and kona.

I haven't found a place in Denver yet but in Pittsburgh at the strip district there's this place that roasts beans into tons of flavors. Had snicker doodle and a hazelnut there. Really cool place if you all ever make it to Pittsburgh

I got a burr grinder and a pour over a few months ago and have been trying a bunch of different varieties to figure out what I like. The last batch I picked up was from Kenya. I'm not completely sure what I'm into yet but in general I'd say I'm more drawn to acidic, citrus-y coffee as opposed to what is typically described as chocolaty or dark fruit tasting.

Anyone else really like a little cinnamon in their coffee? I make a blend of sugar and cinnamon that I use.

This is my kinda thread.

I brew everyday with an Aeropress (look it up and buy one if you don't know what it is), sometimes I'll change is up with a French press. I pretty much buy my beans from Stumptown and Counter Culture. I use a burr grinder that I recently bought and am very happy with it. Currently I'm brewing beans from Guatamala out of Buddy Brew Coffee in Tampa.

Yeah totally obsessed here. I don't drink too much of it, maybe a couple of cups a day but it's definitely quality not quantity. For me i usually drink an espresso based drink, i have a good machine at home and have a cappuccino in the morning and in the afternoon i'll go to the local place (luckily for me this is Monmouth Coffee in London - look it up, it's widely regarded as the best place in the country) and get a flat white. I usually buy my coffee from there too, i like south american beans, with a little less acidity or kenyan if i want a little more. 

Yeah totally obsessed here. I don't drink too much of it, maybe a couple of cups a day but it's definitely quality not quantity. For me i usually drink an espresso based drink, i have a good machine at home and have a cappuccino in the morning and in the afternoon i'll go to the local place (luckily for me this is Monmouth Coffee in London - look it up, it's widely regarded as the best place in the country) and get a flat white. I usually buy my coffee from there too, i like south american beans, with a little less acidity or kenyan if i want a little more. 

What is a 'flat white'? I work at a coffee shop and I don't know what that is.

I feel so mainstream for working at Starbucks :( I just wish more people appreciated the craft and it wasn't about coffee-less vanilla bean frappuccinos for 12 year old girls. I opened the first Clover store in the area and I'm selling maybe 3 reserve coffees a shift. Total bummer. But I do agree with HoneyFrosted. I've been drinking a Zambian peaberry from the Terranova Estate iced every day for about a month as my drink of choice.

I used to think that way about Starbucks, but a friend of mine started working there and changed my mind. He gets really creative with his drinks. He's messing around with recipes all the time and now whenever I go in there, I either ask him for a hot or cold drink and he makes me whatever he's been working on. I love that! I wished all Starbucks had people like him. I ask baristas at the other locations and a lot of them don't mess around with the ingredients, which bums me out. I'd love to get a weekend job there just to be able to learn my way around the ingredients. That, or Teavana!

I usually drink my coffee black, and although Starbucks isn't the best, I have to say that Tribute blend has to be the best dark roast I've ever had there. So damn good!

Any here ever been to Urth cafe? They have a location up in Pasadena, CA that has some good stuff there too :)