BuzzersonKillwell

The Mondo Records Thread - Nostalgia Cash Grab Edition.

1 hour ago, lethalenforcer said:

These days I feel like I typically wait 3+ months for anything-Mondo to ship, but I just got a confirmation for Batman. Even though they have these on-hand I was still expecting it to take a few weeks, so that's a pleasant surprise.

I messaged them about combining orders with either Jaws or Alien, but haven't heard anything. Curious...

4 hours ago, hallowken78 said:

What's the love affair with Mondo's Suspiria pressing?  It's colored vinyl and new artwork, but this identical pressing has been available steadily for the last few years from AVS.

It's partly, yeah, that Mondo has cultivated a horde of zombie Ketchums who'll snap up just about anything the label puts out. But it's also that Cinevox's standard Suspiria soundtrack artwork is a fucking hideous design abortion. It's one of the best horror soundtracks ever recorded, and while the relatively scarce EMI, Barclay, Odeon & Attic editions look fair-to-decent, I've been waiting decades for an edition that visually complements the music & film .

So who else got a questionable copy of Batman Returns? It's not The Fountain level of bad, but its close. Awful double click throughout almost the whole first track of side A. Checked all other sides and all have problems from the get go on the first track. Gonna record a vocaroo and send it to them. Disappointing.

26 minutes ago, ThunderPantz said:

So who else got a questionable copy of Batman Returns? It's not The Fountain level of bad, but its close. Awful double click throughout almost the whole first track of side A. Checked all other sides and all have problems from the get go on the first track. Gonna record a vocaroo and send it to them. Disappointing.

Is this the 3xLP edition?

Just got my Box of Souls box set in. Pretty awesome. There's a few small things about it that are kind of a bummer, I wish the booklet that came with it was a little more substantial (its more like a pamphlet than a booklet, but still cool anyways). The inner box isn't printed with Freddy's sweater pattern but rather a printed paper that is wrapped around that inner box, so a few edges are already coming loose. Not a huge deal but worth mentioning for the price tag. However! The artwork on the jackets are amazing, the jackets are all matte finish so they look incredible together as a set, the box itself is pretty heavy duty and mine came packaged extremely well with no damage at all. I haven't spun them yet so I can't speak for sound quality as of right now, but as long as they sound good I feel like this was totally worth it. If the original pressings didn't cost $50-$100 each then I would probably feel differently, but I'm pretty content with the package.

20 minutes ago, Professor Finn said:

Some early announcements for releases in here,

Good interview. Especially this:

I learned really early on that, despite the word 'cult' being used for a number of beloved films, those are not cult films. This is by no means an insult to anyone who loves these movies, but there is a tier thing happening here that needs to be considered. If you like Star Wars or Ghostbusters, that's great and those are great movies, but those are definitely not cult films. RoboCop is not a cult film anymore. Gremlins is not a cult film.

So, what are the cult films from the past 15 years? What's a movie that no one seemed to like when it came out, but there's a fanbase out there who not-so-secretly loves that movie? Josie And The Pussycats is one of those movies.

36 minutes ago, Professor Finn said:

Some early announcements for releases in here, They Live was mentioned.
But more importantly Katamari Damacy was also mentioned and I couldn't be happier.
http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2017/11/13/and-now-an-interview-with-mondo-record-label-manager-mo-shafeek

Reports out of MondoCon were that the packaging on the They Live repress is amazing.

On 11/13/2017 at 6:05 PM, ThunderPantz said:

I played all three records in a headphone listening marathon and my set was perfect. I brush cleaned and used an anti-static gun. 

29 minutes ago, Mourning Wood said:

I played all three records in a headphone listening marathon and my set was perfect. I brush cleaned and used an anti-static gun. 

Hang on a second. You clean and de-stat your records before you subject your needle to them? What the Hell is wrong with you, man?

13 minutes ago, djghost1976 said:

If anyone missed out on the 'sweater striped' version of the Freddy's Greatest Hits album (sold out in a minute on Mondo), there are about 60 left on Light In The Attic right now: 

https://lightintheattic.net/releases/3748-freddy-s-greatest-hits

Nice catch! Things are selling fast, i think there's less than 18 now.