Henry Rollins Says We're All Collector Scums

Hank is a walking opinion. he's spent a lifetime *cough* spewing his opinion, and whether you listen to it or not is besides the point. Rarely should anyones opinion warrant anymore than a nonchalont glance anyway. Even those of society's new gods - 'celebrities'. It is damn funny though. And true. haha!

Henry Rollins is the "collector scum" he's writing about.  He is a huge buyer of music.  This is more of a confession than a indictment.

That^^

Hearty lol at the people calling Rollins names and bitching about him. What he wrote is pretty spot on but don't take everything so seriously. I'm sure a lot of it was written in jest. He is a big music buyer/collector himself and talks about it regularly during spoken word shows. I actually sold him a rare old punk single on Discogs a while back so once again, don't take his article so seriously. Read it, get a laugh and then move on to listening to some music.

That^^

Hearty lol at the people calling Rollins names and bitching about him. What he wrote is pretty spot on but don't take everything so seriously. I'm sure a lot of it was written in jest. He is a big music buyer/collector himself and talks about it regularly during spoken word shows. I actually sold him a rare old punk single on Discogs a while back so once again, don't take his article so seriously. Read it, get a laugh and then move on to listening to some music.

Yeah, I do agree with the majority of what he said in that article, itself.  Especially with the [borderline comical, albeit rare] collectors who double-bag their records so that they never see the light of day or touch of another human being.  But anyone obsessed enough to purchase the same exact album, but with a different matrix?  That's a little much, I think, and I can't say I've met a single individual who's done that.  Online or off.  Consequently, that article does get a chuckle out of me... but probably not for the reasons he intended.

From the times ive got to see rolllins do his spoken words as well as other interviews he really hammers home the idea of "dont limit yourself." He brings the idea of life is short so do not limit what you do be it where you go, what you eat, what you listen to,etc.

I would assume for him, buying 15 copies of the same record is taking opportunities to find the next great band you love by focusing all your time money and effort on the one that got away.

I for one have never really been a collector of multiples because i feel that i want to take in as much as i can. Would i rain on anyones parade for doing it? Absolutely not. Everyone has traits and habits that another person would not do but that is the beauty of human nature.

I will agree with him on Boris though. I enjoy that band very much but they make it truely difficult, especially financially, to buy their stuff at times for no true reason.

I think he's taken the most extreme case to make a point...which is not uncommon of course.

I am a collector, but for me that means if there is an album I love, then a nicely pressed LP edition with extras, poster or some such additional material then I am really quite happy. If I love a band, then getting hold of *very* different versions is desirable, but not the be all and end all. Rather 50 pounds went on another release by another band completely, as opposed to something 99% the same as what I own.

And I say all this as a vinyl lover and life-long collector.

He's pretty right about the way Boris puts out their music and that made me lose interest over them, it came to a point where there was no reason to keep following the band - plus - it was a point of quantity/collecting frenzy over the quality of their music, which IMHO became forgetable.

Rollins is spot on, let's face it, I could see myself in many of those examples. Perhaps not as hardcore as he makes it look like but I can perfectly get myself thinking the same way or having some of the feelings he portraied. It's good to sometimes sit back and think about how enjoyable this hobby is (I don't think the word sums up my relation with music and records) and start drawing new limit lines. Have done several times and I'm glad I can somehow deal much better with it, kinda put myself in control of the situation and just let some opportunities go, something that I wouldn't be glad to do in the past.

I also worry about how my wife or descendents will deal with hundreds of pointless records when I die. I surely wouldn't want to deal with theirs.

I can see where Henry is coming from, but I also think it's not that big of a deal. He makes all record buyers out to be "collector scum," as if all we want is the rarest presses. In some cases, I would love a test press or the rarest variant of an album. But most of the time, I don't really give a shit and buy what I want or what's available.

I read the comments after the rant, and I found the second comment to be extremely misguided. Girl(?) talks about La Dispute's album "Somewhere at the Bottom" being an exploitation of capitalism (and nothing more) because it has 11 presses, and there are "obsessed trust-fund kids" that need every color and copy.

Sure, pressing new, fancy colors keeps the demand up. But also more and more people are buying records as well as becoming fans of La Dispute...

The guy who collects every SKU is who he's talking about. If there's 15 SKUs of one record, that's 14 other people who didn't get a copy and maybe 14 other records that person could have bought.. But yeah this exists in every single hobby (stamps, coins, sneakers, etc -- all of which actually have a functional purpose besides sitting on a shelf or in a box).