PO soon: Earth - Primitive and Deadly

From the SL Europe facebook page:

New EARTH record? That's right!

PRIMITIVE AND DEADLY Earth’s tenth studio collection, Carlson & long term foil, drummer Adrienne Davies, manage to pull off the trick of completing an Ouroborean creative cycle, 25 years in the making.

Some familiar faces on PRIMITIVE AND DEADLY: Bassist Bill Herzog (Sunn 0))), Joel RL Phelps, Jesse Sykes and the Sweet Hereafter), additional layers of guitar from Brett Netson (Built To Spill, Caustic Resin) & Jodie Cox (Narrows).

But perhaps the largest left turn on PRIMITIVE AND DEADLY though, is prominence of guest vocalists Mark Lanegan and Rabia Shaheen Qazi (Rose Windows) who transform the traditionally free ranging meditations of Earth into something approaching traditional pop structures.

Available everywhere Early September 2014. Vinyl Pre-sales via www.southernlordeurope.com will be announced soon as well as some August tour dates.

Not looking forward to the vocals but oh well.

At least it's Mark Lanegan, can't go terribly wrong. I've learned to always give Carlson the necessary room for turns and experimentation, That guy always delivered and he has always embraced changes and new possibilities through Earth's discography.

• 3 weeks later...

Can't say I love the track, but I like it enough. Look forward to hearing more. It seems like it would be better in context of the album. I also like the cover. It looks like a more saturated, dark still from an artsy 70s surrealist film, maybe like Alejandro Jodorowsky's work.

I'm with you on the cover art, I can't believe people aren't digging that!

Sounds like it could have been a decent Earth song without those absolutely horrid vocals (seriously, who's idea was that?) and if it wasn't so weirdly lush. It doesn't fit Earth at all. But those vocals. Haha, yuck. This is the first Earth song I honestly dislike.

I'm into both the track and the artwork. By the sound of it, they really haven't ventured away from that same basic riff structure of Bees so I reckon the vocals are somewhat necessary if they want to continue pursuing that same composition. I find the new direction quite compelling. Then again I figure I would've welcomed any change simply out of complete trust in Dylan Carlson's (and co's) vision.

I think what might've eased me into it is that the vocals  really reminded me of Se Delan. Really the whole atmosphere and lyrics make for a very similar experience. Anyone digging this track, I'd recommend giving them a listen. It's Justin Greaves of Crippled Black Phoenix fame, was also in Electric Wizard and Iron Monkey and his partner in crime (and in love) is Belinda Kordic who used to record under the name Killing Mood.