MAN ADVICE v2.0

What media (music, movies, shows, books, etc.) have been ruined by exes?

There's so many to list for me, but in particular:

Cocorosie

The Weeknd

Most British comedies

Boardwalk Empire

MST3K

And my favorite sushi restaraunt.  :(

I wonder how long it will take for these things to get better...?

Well, The Weeknd is not good, so no loss there.  If you've finished Boardwalk, there's no reason to revisit it.  And MST3K is so monsterously funny that you'll be laughing to hard to even think about your ex.  Servo heals all wounds.

Well, The Weeknd is not good, so no loss there.  If you've finished Boardwalk, there's no reason to revisit it.  And MST3K is so monsterously funny that you'll be laughing to hard to even think about your ex.  Servo heals all wounds.

I've never listened to The Weeknd, but the way he spells it irrationally pisses me off, so I've just never bothered.

What media (music, movies, shows, books, etc.) have been ruined by exes?

There's so many to list for me, but in particular:

Cocorosie

The Weeknd

Most British comedies

Boardwalk Empire

MST3K

And my favorite sushi restaraunt. :(

I wonder how long it will take for these things to get better...?

These things are only ruined for you because you allowed them to be ruined... make the choice to be happy and enjoy your favorite things.

These things are only ruined for you because you allowed them to be ruined... make the choice to be happy and enjoy your favorite things.

I'm with you on this.  I understand how a show or band can remind you of a person and bring back bad memories, but that's something that you control too.  Power through it, don't let them ruin something you love.

It'll take time. Even just discussing them here leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. Memories, and the weight they hold, eventually fade. But I can't force the sinking feeling away, no matter how hard I try.

It'll take time. Even just discussing them here leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. Memories, and the weight they hold, eventually fade. But I can't force the sinking feeling away, no matter how hard I try.

I like to think of that shit as getting into a cold pool.  It's uncomfortable initially, but that fades fast.

I think it always helps to remember that you are not alone. I got out of my sad, abusive, emotionally draining relationship at age 20 and subsequently got my heart broken a few years after that. Both times it helped knowing I wasn't alone in this pain and that everyone goes through it. People are able to rebuild themselves after ending 20 year marriages. It's what we do! I have total faith you'll be able to move on and be happy record_junkie. Just don't let yourself wallow for too long.

Which ones?

We spent a lot of time watching British comedies (mostly modern ones, but some classics) - so basically, you name it.  In particular, Peep Show, IT Crowd, QI, Little Britain/Come Fly With Me, Spaced, Black Books, Red Dwarf, Vicar of Dibley, Gavin & Stacey (especially that one :(), etc.

I think it always helps to remember that you are not alone. I got out of my sad, abusive, emotionally draining relationship at age 20 and subsequently got my heart broken a few years after that. Both times it helped knowing I wasn't alone in this pain and that everyone goes through it. People are able to rebuild themselves after ending 20 year marriages. It's what we do! I have total faith you'll be able to move on and be happy record_junkie. Just don't let yourself wallow for too long.

All the pain of heartbreak is worth the platitudes of joy experienced when in love.  It's hard coming to terms with it when going through it, but occasionally I'm able to lift my head out of this rut into some lucidity and find a sampling of objective truth.  It's a learning experience to say the least.

I just like having a significant other to share my life with.  I love being in love.  

But for the time being, I'm gonna have to focus on myself and just let things happen  -  all the while trying to push any thoughts of my ex out of my head.  :unsure:

Thank you for the kind words!

We spent a lot of time watching British comedies (mostly modern ones, but some classics) - so basically, you name it. In particular, Peep Show, IT Crowd, QI, Little Britain/Come Fly With Me, Spaced, Black Books, Red Dwarf, Vicar of Dibley, Gavin & Stacey (especially that one :(), etc.

Off topic and not helpful but I love the majority of those shows especially IT crowd and Gavin and Stacey. Don't let the memories ruin those shows because they are too good !! :(

(Also, watch Misfits !!)

All the pain of heartbreak is worth the platitudes of joy experienced when in love.

I think there's something wrong with me (or at least my perspectives), because I've never found this to be the case. The whole "it's better to have loved and lost..." expression is lost on me. Maybe I dwell too long, but I all too often wish I could substitute good memories to erase the suffering. I don't know.

Agreed. I would rather have never loved at all than to have loved & lost. That loss stays with you for a long time. The love moments generally fade quickly & are replaced with anger/hate/despair. And the pain of loss far outweighs the past feelings of love. If you never loved, you won't know what you're missing. And you never have to deal with the gut-wrenching pain of losing someone you cared deeply for.

Gavin and Stacey.

super off topic but they filmed a lot of Gavin and Stacey in my town. anyway...

when I broke up with my first serious gf, we shared a lot of the same music/tv/film tastes and when we split I figured it would ruin them forever. but, well, it doesn't.

you'll have the memories of past loves regardless of what art you both liked at that time in your lives - now the stuff that held a lot of the memories for me still has meaning, but in a different way.

edit: plus there are loads more British comedies you could watch, haha

I think there's something wrong with me (or at least my perspectives), because I've never found this to be the case. The whole "it's better to have loved and lost..." expression is lost on me. Maybe I dwell too long, but I all too often wish I could substitute good memories to erase the suffering. I don't know.

I understand both, but for me personally I learn from the heartache, and misery. I sure as fuck would rather not have gone through it in the first place, but I try to grow and learn from it. 

Edit: missed a word.

I understand both, but for me personally I learn from the heart, and misery. 

This. Maybe I'm a masochist, but real, substantial sadness is an essential part of life for me. 

I would much rather go through the motions of the highs and lows than wade around in contentment forever.

4-Garden-State-quotes.gif

I know there are varying opinions from person to person, and I completely respect where you guys are coming from... but somewhat_damaged hit the nail on the head, for me.  It's a shitty frame of mind to have, but it's a little relieving to know that [some] others share the sentiment.

I can definitely get behind that mindset. I appreciate being somewhat damaged as it makes me open my eyes to more things, even though it might shut a few doors along the way. All I know is that you are a good dude, and I wish the best for you, man. 

I can definitely get behind that mindset. I appreciate being somewhat damaged as it makes me open my eyes to more things, even though it might shut a few doors along the way. All I know is that you are a good dude, and I wish the best for you, man. 

Thanks, Grohl.  You're good people, and I really do appreciate it.