WHIRR - Sway LP (out on 9/23) and Pipe Dreams Redux

Pipe Dreams is my least favourite release of theirs, but I think it's mainly due to how much I like Distressor and Around.  It's not a bad release by any means, their other material is just stronger.

Been meaning to grab the RC for quite some time, Sway and the redux are the extra push I needed.  I know this won't be the most popular release, but I'm pretty stoked about that upcoming Xiu Xiu cassette box set too.

I won't kick any of Whirr out of bed, but Distressor is by far my favorite.  The 2 minute catchy "Home Is Where My Head Is" on Pipe Dreams can stick with you, but I always come back to Distressor - and the 5th GF pressing White/Bone/Purple Swirl/whatever is my listening copy - sounds great.

A short review I read just nailed it re: Distressor (paraphrased):  "It's like they said, let's get this thing done -- Live, one take, go! so we can grab some burgers and a shake. So what if [the drummer] missed some fills and a seriously late rim shot, leave 'em in there, we're done."

It's perfect just like it is. Real.

Always willing to give the new material a fair shot and as someone above said, Whirr was the main reason I re-upped the Sub (and to support a great label). Great service/people, and I'm actually enjoying pixie sticks again -  they're just ground up Sweet Tarts.

If anyone is collecting puzzle pieces and Roadkill Ryan Cards you can have mine.

But live <<<<< studio.

I've seen them in some awesome tiny venues when the were Whirl, same time as Deafheaven had released their first demo, so I don't really share this sentiment, but I feel like some of the sincerity and innocence has left their music. Still like their new stuff, but Distressor is their best by leaps and bounds in my opinion. Love the art on the first press, too. Perfect.

Oh man, this is easily my most anticipated record of this year. Super excited to see this got posted.

I want to join the GF RC so badly, but funds are literally tighter than ever right now. I'm guessing nobody will be willing to part with their copy, but I'm going to ask anyway, haha. Pleeeease hit me up if you're up to sell/trade your RC variant!

I've seen them in some awesome tiny venues when the were Whirl, same time as Deafheaven had released their first demo, so I don't really share this sentiment, but I feel like some of the sincerity and innocence has left their music. Still like their new stuff, but Distressor is their best by leaps and bounds in my opinion. Love the art on the first press, too. Perfect.

I think a lot of the better studio sentiment comes from how loud they want to be live. I haven't been able to see them yet, but that would be one of my worries, decibels over quality. I maybe wrong though, but the stories I've heard seem to follow a similar line.

• 2 weeks later...