WHIRR - Sway LP (out on 9/23) and Pipe Dreams Redux

Ryan contacted me and indeed the full album stream was meant to be kept private. So here's my public apologies for somehow posting that link, which I never thought wasn't public.

Anyways, like I wrote, the album is amazing and you should order one in case you didn't. Your whole familiy will be pleased and will sing along while you're listening to it during sunday mornings.

haha, after 'Mumble' was done playing I hit something thinking it would replay it, but instead the track 'Press' came on and thought it was odd but didn't say anything and just went with it.

Listened to 5 out of the 8 songs before I went on my lunch break and it was awesome, I was really digging the song 'Clear' a lot.

I will be picking this up once I get paid tomorrow.

i kinda have to agree. i really like nothing's downward years, but i can't really get into the full length. i think its just more hype than anything and that there are much better newgaze bands out there. guilty just sounds like hum and old foo fighters to me (sorry!). there is something super ethereal yet depressing about whirr and that's why i think they stand out above the others.

I agree "Guilty" does have very post rock/alternative guitar chords vs something more traditional 90s shoegaze (which was kinda opted in toward the dream pop route vs grunge) "Guilty" still sounds really good however Whirr are more of traditionalist to me either way it's great to see a bunch of gutter kids get into shoegaze. Sometimes the newgaze scene is a bit too hard for me and I get turned off by the post hardcore type of guitar chords but its fun to see evolutions of scenes and I think overall it's great for music. 

I agree "Guilty" does have very post rock/alternative guitar chords vs something more traditional 90s shoegaze (which was kinda opted in toward the dream pop route vs grunge) "Guilty" still sounds really good however Whirr are more of traditionalist to me either way it's great to see a bunch of gutter kids get into shoegaze. Sometimes the newgaze scene is a bit too hard for me and I get turned off by the post hardcore type of guitar chords but its fun to see evolutions of scenes and I think overall it's great for music. 

This. I think older shoegaze bands like Airiel, that are more towards Dream pop, just have more to them then these grunge type shoegaze bands. I like that this is getting more popular though.

I own almost everything of Whirl/Whirr and enjoy quite a lot (Distressor being my fave as above, and never growing old), but Guilty of Everything just has topped it for me for inexplicable reasons- since I usually favor femme vocals.  Nothing's earlier tracks are nothing to sneeze at either. Trying to get all those variants, down to a few, but likely will come down to plunking down the coin or not.

So far GoE is Shoegaze AOTY for me, and definitely top 5 including all genres.  Yes, bought the black:red:black stripe /300 today! Have not bought the higher pressing colors.

I own almost everything of Whirl/Whirr and enjoy quite a lot (Distressor being my fave as above, and never growing old), but Guilty of Everything just has topped it for me for inexplicable reasons- since I usually favor femme vocals.  Nothing's earlier tracks are nothing to sneeze at either. Trying to get all those variants, down to a few, but likely will come down to plunking down the coin or not.

So far GoE is Shoegaze AOTY for me, and definitely top 5 including all genres.  Yes, bought the black:red:black stripe /300 today! Have not bought the higher pressing colors.

Quick question! Why did they change from Whirl to Whirr? Whirl sounds perfect for their sound, but then again so does Whirr, but why the change?

Whirr changed their name from Whirl because there was a British singer-songwriter going by the name Whirl. They got wind of this when the Distressor EP was coming out on that UK label Sweet Sounds... The band was contacted and asked to change name as the Whirl one was already registered by that singer-songwriter. As far as I know from what Basset has said, it wasn't a bad situation or get ugly. They didn't know and amicably changed it without issues.

To beat Distressor will be a Herculean feat

I had this locked in my mind until Sway started to flow that day. Won't go much further as promised to Ryan but yes, they did it. I'd say that it will suit your eager ears if you enjoyed Around but somehow missed a bit of the urgency of Distressor. I'm not a big fan of Pipe Dreams, it's Whirr going for a route where they're not at the top of their game, a bit average and throw away. But Sway is deeper and gloomy and soft and heavy and beautiful all at the same time.

Hopefully GF will release a black 180g version of it to go along with previous releases. It would make so much sense.

Really reallllly considering dropping the $$ for the RC now. From what I understand, the RC version is hand-poured by New Fumes, making it different from the first-press/retail? At first I thought there was no difference, but if I got both the first press/retail (brown-bone) and the RC copy, plus the shirt/button pack AND the Pipe Dreams Redux, I feel like that'd almost be worth the $$ right there. Not to mention any other releases filling in the rest of the $$.

Anyone able to confirm that I'm on the right track? Haha, this song is seriously fantastic. Here's hoping we get a record release variant at the Chicago show!

Really reallllly considering dropping the $$ for the RC now. From what I understand, the RC version is hand-poured by New Fumes, making it different from the first-press/retail? At first I thought there was no difference, but if I got both the first press/retail (brown-bone) and the RC copy, plus the shirt/button pack AND the Pipe Dreams Redux, I feel like that'd almost be worth the $$ right there. Not to mention any other releases filling in the rest of the $$.

Anyone able to confirm that I'm on the right track? Haha, this song is seriously fantastic. Here's hoping we get a record release variant at the Chicago show!

with the RC membership i dont think you would get the shirt/extras and you would have to pay extra for the retail version.

with the RC membership i dont think you would get the shirt/extras and you would have to pay extra for the retail version.

If you're RC VIP you get retail, too.

Ryan always sends an email to record club members offering the retail version or any other available extras for far less than they would cost otherwise from the site.

If you're RC VIP you get retail, too.

Ryan always sends an email to record club members offering the retail version or any other available extras for far less than they would cost otherwise from the site.

yes but that adds $65 to a $150 membership (full disclosure, I do both) , and if you just want the extra retail version of one release then it doesnt seem reasonable.  we have previously been offered $16ppd records for $10 as RC members so that is definitely less if you want the third pressing of something that wouldnt ordinarily be included with the RC...im not sure if that would go for first retail pressings however.  would have to check with Ryan.

I picked up Pipe Dreams at my local record store last fall and the art is a little fuzzy, so I'm a bit bummed that I didn't hold out for the redux. On the other hand, I've been able to listen to it all this time.

I wasn't sure what to expect with the band's member changes, but the new single is pretty good. Is there a working Soundcloud link to the full album?

I know a lot of people don't like doing this, but I stumbled across this and couldn't help myself. Clips of every song. Got me REALLY excited. If you're curious:

http://www.amazon.com/Sway-Whirr/dp/B00LIE7KSC/ref=sr_1_4?s=dmusic&ie=UTF8&qid=1405243026&sr=1-4&keywords=whirr

Also nice to see that Mumble is the shortest song on the album by a minute.

For those who have heard large portions of thi.. what I love about Around is the way every song stretches out so far and wide, with an ambiguity of perception that sonically mimics the cloudy perception of viewing the world through the tiny net holes of a screen door. Pipe Dreams didn't have that feeling at all. Do these new songs?

For those who have heard large portions of thi.. what I love about Around is the way every song stretches out so far and wide, with an ambiguity of perception that sonically mimics the cloudy perception of viewing the world through the tiny net holes of a screen door. Pipe Dreams didn't have that feeling at all. Do these new songs?

Tough question.

I'd say it's much, much more related to Around than to Pipe Dreams. But perhaps the net holes a wider this time?