WHIRR - Sway LP (out on 9/23) and Pipe Dreams Redux

oh my god. Shut the fuck up.

Dude, I'm genuinely asking because I'm curious. Race is also considered a social construct in the same way gender is.

There's no point in being so insanely sensitive about the issue that you can't even discuss it without losing your composure. Fucking chill out. I completely agree with futurekills - I was asking out of genuine curiosity on his / her thoughts.

I'm just wondering, do you also feel this way about race?

I can't tell if you're trying to be offensive, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. First of all, this has nothing to do with how she feels as an individual. This is just how things are. Transgendered people have always existed. They are just finally being given a voice, so it seems new. Secondly, race/skin color has absolutely nothing to do with the way someone's brain works.

So to answer your question, no.

It's just, WHO do these transgenders think they are?  They can just change their gender?  Without me or anyone else saying its OK?  What if we all did that?  What if we all just lived the lives we wanted and didn't care whether a stranger online approved of it or not?  Who wants to live in a world like that?

I can't tell if you're trying to be offensive, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. First of all, this has nothing to do with how she feels as an individual. This is just how things are. Transgendered people have always existed. They are just finally being given a voice, so it seems new. Secondly, race/skin color has absolutely nothing to do with the way someone's brain works.

So to answer your question, no.

Wasn't trying to be offensive. I'm just inviting open discussion.

Actually, here's the thing - race and skin color could be considered separate, just as gender and sex are. RACE is a social construct while skin color is genetic, just as GENDER and gender roles are societal constructs whereas SEX is more or less a binary number in your DNA.

We're drawing a sharp line in the sand separating gender from sex - I don't think the same treatment for race is all that radical.

By whom?

Parkinglot gave a fair response. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_and_society#Race_as_a_social_construct_and_populationism

Check it out, buddy. Some cool stuff in there if you click the source links.

I'm just wondering, do you also feel this way about race?

the other responses to this have been great, i just want to add that none of this is how I feel. Its just how it is and I accept and respect anyone regardless of how they choose to identify. Nobody should stand in the way of how anyone wants to live their own life as long as they aren't harming anyone.

Wasn't trying to be offensive. I'm just inviting open discussion.

Actually, here's the thing - race and skin color could be considered separate, just as gender and sex are. RACE is a social construct while skin color is genetic, just as GENDER and gender roles are societal constructs whereas SEX is more or less a binary number in your DNA.

We're drawing a sharp line in the sand separating gender from sex - I don't think the same treatment for race is all that radical.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_and_society#Race_as_a_social_construct_and_populationism

Check it out, buddy. Some cool stuff in there if you click the source links.

I don't think of it as being on the same spectrum bc the gender identity is a personal lifestyle that differs from person to person. Throwing race into the mix includes an entire body of people. Like that gal who claimed to be black. I understand that it's hard to differentiate, but they are not in fact existing on the same plane. 

you are wanting us to take that article seriously. i can't when everything is needing citations and not any other credible sources.

Not really man, I just wanted to share some perspective on it. It's a Wikipedia page - not an article, it has no author - but there's plenty of sources listed on the lower portion of the page. I really have no idea why you're so defensive and combative. We probably don't even disagree.

It's like any discussion based on the societal perception of gender needs to automatically deteriorate into insulting slander. "Transphobic" is becoming a buzzword like "racist" was a few years ago, or "communist" was at one point - that seems to disable people's ability to rationally assess situations.

I'm fully supportive of transexuals, transgenders, all races and sexual preferences. But I take interest in the way society perceives gender norms and racial issues, so it's interesting to me. I really don't mean to come off as condescending, but if you aren't able to discuss this particular topic without instantly jumping to conclusions and flaming, you might be better off avoiding it.

Not really man, I just wanted to share some perspective on it. It's a Wikipedia page - not an article, it has no author - but there's plenty of sources listed on the lower portion of the page. I really have no idea why you're so defensive and combative. We probably don't even disagree.

It's like any discussion based on the societal perception of gender needs to automatically deteriorate into insulting slander. "Transphobic" is becoming a buzzword like "racist" was a few years ago, or "communist" was at one point - that seems to disable people's ability to rationally assess situations.

I'm fully supportive of transexuals, transgenders, all races and sexual preferences. But I take interest in the way society perceives gender norms and racial issues, so it's interesting to me. I really don't mean to come off as condescending, but if you aren't able to discuss this particular topic without instantly jumping to conclusions and flaming, you might be better off avoiding it.

to be fair your initial comment was quite offensive

someone tells you directly in a post to STFU and i come off as defensive and combative because you link us to a page that could have been written by a muppet. makes sense.

again

but if you aren't able to discuss this particular topic without instantly jumping to conclusions and flaming, you might be better off avoiding it.

lol, what?

Every post of yours has a level of snobbishness, maybe you don't mean it - but it's definitely there.

did you... see the first responses to my initial comment? the first response was "oh my god, shut the fuck up."

you're criticizing me of being subtly "snobby" in the midst of being flamed by people who agree with me but are so emotionally volatile that they can't take a question at face value