Shoegaze/Dream Pop Thread

My point is that if this thread is dominated by Shoegaze bands, why would anyone want to contribute a well thoughtout post of a great Dream Pop album to check out for it to only be swallowed up by posts that have nothing to do with that topic (in my opinion).  The fact is if Sarah Records and The Wake have not been discussed ad nauseum in this thread then something is amiss. 

Anyway, not wasting any more breath on the matter.

Or you could post your well 'thoughtout' post and introduce some people (who have professed an interested in dream pop) to a great dream pop album.  Crazy idea.

Half the posts in the last 5 pages have contained Dream Pop bands or similar crossovers that highly relate to them. The fact that so much variety of bands can be posted in one thread and everyone that is active here loves it all, is a testement to the fact that this thread works. IMO Dream Pop and Shoegaze are very interwoven and similar in style, although being totally different, both create the same effect, which is why we all love them and want to check them out and continue to get suggestions.

Loveliescrushing kickstarter e-mail confirmed that they're redoing the stamper to accommodate for 180 gram across the board, and that the variant will be translucent blue.  Yesss.

I really liked how they rejected (for lack of a better word) the 150 gram stamper too!  I feel like it would have been easy to blow that off and just press at 150g.  Seems like they're really working to make this a great release, I'm pretty excited!

I really liked how they rejected (for lack of a better word) the 150 gram stamper too!  I feel like it would have been easy to blow that off and just press at 150g.  Seems like they're really working to make this a great release, I'm pretty excited!

Agreed.  Anything worth doing is worth doing right, and it seems like they're really pulling out the stops for this one.  I'm expecting pretty respectable packaging and crisp-sounding vinyl when the time comes.

Someone want to PM me a Dropbox link to the Pinkshinyultrablast LP mp3?  Finally got a copy, and I'm not confident in Shelf Life getting back to me with the mp3 version. Thanks.

He will, you just have to re-email him if not heard back in a day or two. First time same happened to me but everything else since, he gets back the next day.

The new Seapony video is a slice of dreampop goodness. 

(Feel free to lambast my "writing") 

;)

http://www.the1stfive.com/news/watch-seaponys-video-for-couldnt-be-and-be-transported-to-a-dreampopland

Absolutely love all the Seapony songs that have been put out so far. So mellow and summery yet so full of life and color. Can't wait to have this.

Aokigahara is the most incredible unknown album to my music-loving heart. ERR's vocals (solo and with Paris) and her guitar work are just a perfectly sublime. I have one copy from her that has never been played - it is just immaculate.

2 copies for $18 is incredible!! How did you manage that? Can only imagine a Calif. record shoppe.

If people who are Marriages fans and like Some Heavy Ocean, also like shoegaze/folkgaze/gloomgaze), will die for Aokigahara.  To me Some Heavy Ocean sounds more like the album before Aokigahara (A Year of Spring). 

An online seller just happened to have them in stock. I bought both and checked my CC account and seems i was refunded for one. I called today and they both shipped priority yesterday.

I check every morning for records in my wantlist. Still a few 'needs', that hopefully I'll find.

Everything ERR touches is gold. Saw her live last week with Marriages along with Creepoid, she has some mad guitar skills. Got Some Heavy Ocean signed by her, which is one of my favorite releases of the past 5 years. I expect to see The Nocturnes back sometime next year, call it a hunch.

I hadn't realized the connection between The Nocturnes and Marriages :unsure:

Anyway, I just checked out Marriages, which made my week - thanks for connecting the dots for me - Sooo good!

Native Sound has a new Threading CS up for pre-order.  I really liked their two previous EPs.  I know there's a thread in Cassette Collective, but I'm guessing some people would like it and never find it there.

http://thenativesound.limitedrun.com/products/556633-threading-you-are-never-enough-ep

Thanks for posting this :)

So if the consensus things Dream Pop should go in here, and since this thread has not seen much action in the last few days, I thought I would post a few recommendations to see what sort of response I get.   

Brett - (self titled)

brett-cover_44387.jpg

My first recommendation is the 2014 self-titled release by Brett on Cascine, one, if not the best label out there today for Balearic\Dream Pop\Electro Pop releases.   Brett is not about re-inventing anything, but he (or she) does a great job of capturing the best that the genre can offer in the way of three and a half minute hazey pop tunes.  You can order the release here for $16 USD + shipping: http://shop.cascine.us/product/brett-brett

Check out the lead off track "Chalon" which is very representative of the whole album:

don't know whether it's been said before, but the new Teen Daze record is looking to be pretty awesome. Finally it's a step away from the electronic/chillwave stuff and towards rather "classic" guitar-driven dream pop. "Post Storm" and "Life in the Sea" do even bring some strings into the game that delicately remind me of Wild Nothing's "Nocturne", one of my favorite indie/dream pop records of all time.

edit: also thanks for the heads up on Brett! I'm just a couple of tracks in and it sounds really good! I recently purchased Yumi Zouma's EPII (also on Cascine), that record is also pure gold in this genre!

don't know whether it's been said before, but the new Teen Daze record is looking to be pretty awesome. Finally it's a step away from the electronic/chillwave stuff and towards rather "classic" guitar-driven dream pop. "Post Storm" and "Life in the Sea" do even bring some strings into the game that delicately remind me of Wild Nothing's "Nocturne", one of my favorite indie/dream pop records of all time.

edit: also thanks for the heads up on Brett! I'm just a couple of tracks in and it sounds really good! I recently purchased Yumi Zouma's EPII (also on Cascine), that record is also pure gold in this genre!

Thanks for the rec on Teen Daze and as well for the feedback.

I was thinking about posting about Yumi Zouma as their 2 EPs are some of the best Dream Pop of the last two years. Also did not want to do two Cascine artists in a row for fear of being accused of working for the label / on the take. Too bad both EPs are out of print and the first one cannot be found anywhere (EBay or Discogs) though I was lucky to grab one last year. Great band though for sure.

Yumi Zouma - Self-Titled \ EP II

homepage_large.9fbec6ff.jpg

Ok so apologies up front on two things.  First, (as mentioned in a previous post) for posting a back-to-back artist on Cascine.  I was going to hold off but "poweredbytrust" brought this band up so I felt like now was the time.  Second, for the fact that the first of this band's two EPs is almost impossible to find and the second (which was released earlier this year) has already sold out on Cascine and will likely be harder to track down in the coming months so best to grab it while you can.

Yumi Zouma is a New Zealand \ Brooklyn \ Paris based band who have made a big mark on the Dream Pop scene within the last 16 months having released two great EPs on 10" in that amount of time and having garnered well deserved buzz from some of the more trusted blogs and press out there (i.e. Gorilla vs. Bear).  Every song is damn near perfect but their first single "The Brae" ranks up there as one of the best Dream Pop song ever.  The band seem to be marked for great things as they truly seem like the complete package from songs to aesthetic.  I mean, look at that cover art for their first EP I posted above!  Anyway, check out their Soundcloud page below as well as the video to the aforementioned "The Brae" below:

https://soundcloud.com/yumizouma