The STAR WARS Thread

slinch

The difference between this one and 4 is that this one is written with future movies in mind, so it allows pieces to be questionable.

the fact the senate and government was blown up makes me think that shits about to get out of haaaaaaand

I missed that - One of the blown up planets was the current governmental seat of the new republic. After a quick google search i ran across this quick explanation. http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2015/12/18/what-the-hell-is-the-story-with-the-resistance-and-the-first-order-in-the-f

Yeah, I saw a comment earlier about how #4 transitioned to #5 so great and wanted to say: Lucas had only written "Star Wars". It was a one-off and he expected the movie to flop. Only after it received such a great success did he continue. I think the same happened with the prequels. He didn't have any thought, but people wanted to know how Vader fell.

Question for those who watched also:

How did you react with Han's death? It didn't really hit me like I think it should. The whole interaction right before basically pointed it out. Shoot, when he told Chewie to take the other level I knew what was going down. Was there enough emotion? I don't know, any other thoughts on this subject?

Even before the movie came out, Harrison Ford said he was only going to be in this one movie so it was obvious he was going to die.

It's important to remember that Lucas made that shit up as he went along and just cared about how many toys he could make and sell.

Seriously, he wanted David Lynch to direct Jedi and Lynch wanted nothing to do with the project because all Lucas would talk about was merch.

this is because Lucas back in the day traded the movie rights for merchandising rights so you know he was always in it for the money.

Even before the movie came out, Harrison Ford said he was only going to be in this one movie so it was obvious he was going to die.

Ah, well I missed that. And thinking about it, Ford actually wanted to get Han whacked back in the day. Guess that's why he joined #7. "Let's get this over with..."

I missed that - One of the blown up planets was the current governmental seat of the new republic. After a quick google search i ran across this quick explanation. http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2015/12/18/what-the-hell-is-the-story-with-the-resistance-and-the-first-order-in-the-f

I read a bunch of the books, i kept trying to remember them but it was 15+ years ago i read them

I went into my 3D showing on Saturday morning 99.9% spoiler free and absolutely loved it. I cried five times.

1. When Han and Leia see each other for the first time in (presumably) decades.

2. When Han dies.

3. When the lightsaber flies into Rey's hands in the woods.

4. When Rey and Leia lock eyes and share in the sadness of Han's death.

5. When Rey sees Luke.

I'm visiting my parents for the next few days and have every intention of going to see it again ASAP.

Also, I had no idea who Adam Driver was — I legit thought it was Andy Samberg for a split second.

I went into my 3D showing on Saturday morning 99.9% spoiler free and absolutely loved it. I cried five times.

1. When Han and Leia see each other for the first time in (presumably) decades.

2. When Han dies.

3. When the lightsaber flies into Rey's hands in the woods.

4. When Rey and Leia lock eyes and share in the sadness of Han's death.

5. When Rey sees Luke.

I'm visiting my parents for the next few days and have every intention of going to see it again ASAP.

Also, I had no idea who Adam Driver was — I legit thought it was Andy Samberg for a split second.

I don't know why, but I was hit much harder the second time I saw it.

I was sad the first time, but I had misty eyes the second time seeing Chewbacca so affected. I really felt his loss, having seen not only the original films, but also knowing that they stayed together all that time.

No idea why it didn't resonate the same way initially. 

I don't know why, but I was hit much harder the second time I saw it.

Same here. Knowing the story probably helped put aside the processing of information and left the door open for taking in all the emotional weight.

Also, after seeing it two times I can safely say it is by far my favorite SW movie, and from a filmmaking standpoint also the best one. Obviously won't be anywhere near as influential on the industry as ep IV (because hardly anything ever will), but the acting, dialogue, characterization, cinematography, direction, editing, everything is a few steps above all others.

The second time watching it I also paid more attention to the score and sound in general, sound design is still on par (though, to be honest, the groundwork Ben Burtt laid is extraordinary and it wasn't really unexpected that building on top of it would yield positive results), the score is used brilliantly, sound editing is top notch (the background noises when they're first fixing the millennium falcon fit with the tension of the dialogue so well that for a second I thought it's an Edgar Wright movie).

I see a lot of people have gripes with the casting choice for Kylo, I was a big fan of Driver from his work in Girls, but had a hard time seeing him fit in such a role here. After learning who the character is, his background and his emotional state, I think the casting was spot on. I kind of have a feeling that most issues with Driver are actually issues with Kylo, because every complaint to his portrayal of the character IS the character as he was intended.

Still, far from a perfect movie, there are a lot of plot devices, a few bits of dialogue (mostly between Han and Leia) and some cut placements that don't work for me, but overall it sets a new bar for the SW universe.

I understand what you're saying, but the differences between A New Hope and The Force Awakens is that ANH was released to stand on its own unlike TFA. Context in future movies shouldn't make the current movie feel incomplete on its own.

Well, I wasn't aware of that. Come to think of it, IV did have a certain finality to it. Either way, I don't think VII is an incomplete movie in a negative sense. It leaves cliffhangers and lots of questions but without them, the movie probably wouldn't be as effective. Maybe they should've revealed a few more things to make it a better stand-alone but as someone already said, it's the kind of film that gets away with it, so I don't really see it as much of a flaw that dampens my enjoyment of the movie.

Also, depicting Kylo Ren as an immature apprentice instead of a cunning badass doesn't make him weak or poorly written; it adds to his character's growth, whether he becomes a powerful Sith lord or fails miserably in VIII. Would people like him more if his battle against Rey was wholly even and she didn't scar him? Maybe but him actually losing to a seemingly untrained girl due to his uncontrolled rage and arrogant behavior is much more intriguing - and it didn't kill his believability either since he was already wounded and Rey turned out to be stronger than anybody thought.

Also, there's an inward conflict between the good and dark side and he visibly struggles throughout the majority of the movie until he kills his father. Even without the context of the trilogy, I already find Kylo Ren to be a fascinating character.

At the time the first Star Wars came out, there was no telling it was going to be as successful, hence why there was some sort of closure to it. And Splinter of the Minds Eye was written originally as a script to a low budget film to wrap up some shit, if another movie was never made.

Ok. Cannon novels, where can I find a list of them? I understand something fills in the gap between VI and VII

I think Aftermath is the one that is supposed to fill the gap between VI and VII.  I was thinking about reading it but the Amazon reviews are less than kind.  

Someone already posted a link i think, but here is Wikipedia's - take https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_canon

The have the mp3 audiobook of Aftermath at my local library. i have it on hold. Hopefully, it will be at least decent.