An email blast just went out that is pushing this new system. There is a button that says "THIS SOUNDS SCAMMY" and when you click it it takes you here

http://vnyl.org/isascam/

Thats it. The whole response to all the backlash. I can't say my opinions here but needless to say, I have some...

that's fucking pathetic

An email blast just went out that is pushing this new system. There is a button that says "THIS SOUNDS SCAMMY" and when you click it it takes you here

Thats it. The whole response to all the backlash. I can't say my opinions here but needless to say, I have some...

For a very brief second, I was appreciative of the Arrested Development reference. Then I remembered why they had to post it in the first place, and I realized just how douchey this is.

Fuck this whole service and everyone involved with it. They lie about the whole thing and scam the hell out of people but instead of apologizing they chose the most #VNYL route and try to be hip and cool but it end up being extremely douchey. I thought this idea had potential at first, and I've tried not to say anything about this, but shit like this is enough.

So are they sending out 3 new records a month or 1 new and 2 used junk ones? More importantly, are there any new #vibes?

Yes I thought I read somewhere they were now sending out 3 new records in a shipment, I'd be interested to know if that's true and if it's every shipment and of course what records?

I very much doubt it's a yes, yes and good records that actually match your taste but if it is $32 or $36 for 3 new records including shipping sounds a lot better than 3 $ bin records for $24 including shipping

That splash page is a "new media" internet marketing solution to people googling "is VNYL a scam?" All the keywords are there- is, VNYL, a, scam- and I'm guessing they are trying to appear on the first page of those results and have some control over the info people get.

Then the content of the landing page is some soulless, post-post-appropriated-hipsterism detached irony bullshit that only people on the outside of the sincere, authentic original movement think is funny or irreverent or cool. Like someone who saw Borat in 2005 and their takeaway was saying "ITS A NICE! I LIKE! MY WIFE!" loudly is what was funny about the character and missing the context and satirical message behind the most annoying, surface parts of the movie.

This detached response to controversy is usually utilized by lower status groups deflecting authority and marginalizing the higher status group's power. Here, however, it's being used by a for-profit company that pissed off its paying customers in a "haters gonna hate" subtext and it feels like they think they are as cool and funny as counter-culture rebels telling authority and the mainstream to go kick rocks.

That splash page is a "new media" internet marketing solution to people googling "is VNYL a scam?" All the keywords are there- is, VNYL, a, scam- and I'm guessing they are trying to appear on the first page of those results and have some control over the info people get.

Then the content of the landing page is some soulless, post-post-appropriated-hipsterism detached irony bullshit that only people on the outside of the sincere, authentic original movement think is funny or irreverent or cool. Like someone who saw Borat in 2005 and their takeaway was saying "ITS A NICE! I LIKE! MY WIFE!" loudly is what was funny about the character and missing the context and satirical message behind the most annoying, surface parts of the movie.

This detached response to controversy is usually utilized by lower status groups deflecting authority and marginalizing the higher status group's power. Here, however, it's being used by a for-profit company that pissed off its paying customers in a "haters gonna hate" subtext and it feels like they think they are as cool and funny as counter-culture rebels telling authority and the mainstream to go kick rocks.

You hit the nail on the fuckin' head. Unfortunately, the people who fall for this stuff (see: those who don't get satire from the quoted post) are the same ones who will willingly subscribe to a service like this.