Death Cab For Cutie - Kintsugi (Out March 31st!)

Quote from popmatters.com:

[...]This isn’t “indie rock” anymore, nor is it “dad rock”, as some notable naysayers may want to peg it. No, this is “obligation rock”: a forced brand of music that exists just because it has to.[...]

http://www.popmatters.com/review/191878-death-cab-for-cutie-kintsugi/

hah this album is all over the place review wise. There doesn't seem to be a middle ground per se, everyone either really digs it or really dislikes it. I gotta respectfully disagree with the popmatters review though - seems a bit harsh. I don't think this is their best record, but imo it's better than Codes and Keys while still capturing a sound I think they were trying to accomplish on that record.

Like everyone has said - the middle/back end of the album is quite different from the beginning, but after listening through a few times, I'm really starting to enjoy it. The couplet of "You've Haunted Me All My Life" with "Hold No Guns" is an interesting but refreshing choice, and really breaks up the listening experience for me (in a good way). I also really enjoy "Ingenue" and "Binary Sea" - if anything, "El Dorado" seems to be the only track that I didn't enjoy too much (but that may change after more repeated listens)

I still have time to cancel my amazon.ca order if i can find it locally, amazon likely won't ship till april 7th

ordering direct from barsuk would have cost $28 plus $20.05 shipping to Canada - at our current exchange rate it would have made this a $61 record. my preorder at amazon.ca is $35