Death Grips to Release New Album Titled "Bottomless Pit"

MahPah

I think death grips' stuff is easily among the most forward thinking, colorful and evocative hip-hop music ever made. its so far removed from every norm of similar genres that the online reaction has been pretty weird due to the excitement, but I don't think that's a good enough reason to discredit them. the production is consistently colorful and creative, the time signatures and compositions are dizzying and jarring, and ride is that one-in-a-million kind of vocalist who can adhere to every groove and subtlety of an instrumental. he's constantly twisting and stretching the limits of his range both vocally and lyrically while maintaining a constant sense of distinct, unique identity.

that being said, the nature of the bands music is purposefully off-putting and jarring - even as a fan I have been initially challenged by almost every new release. I'd definitely recommend a LOT of separate listens for these guys - it takes a while to digest, but when it clicks, it clicks hard. or, yknow, maybe it's not worth it for you because you just don't dig it, and that's totally cool too - but I'd be hesitant to call them "overrated" when they really are introducing something new and interesting in a genre that desperately needs creative expansion and diversity.

so yeah, can't wait for this record. I hope they tour this one too, they're absolutely nuts live