OPEN LETTER TO VC.

Satan

I was here for the end of the proboard days and this place has always been weird. I have learned of so much music I wish I had no idea about from here but have also met some cool people with good taste in music. I know I'm not the most popular around here but Satan has been pissing me the fuck off for the past six months or so and I can't stand it. Such a god damn hypocrite. I'm not sure why I haven't blocked him yet but christ...I have always lumped him in with the most annoying wave of posters this board has ever encountered because I guess I never noticed him before. I really think the small talk thread has made some people feel more important than they really are. I see the clique attitude around here and it is silly.

There was a point where Kriss had the same problem with the board and just opened up a new forum. I left here for a while and posted there exclusively. I wonder if that is still around.

So right it hurts.

The soundtrack boom bums me out so hard. It's ruining fucking everything but there are film scores that I truly love and want to own and spin on vinyl forever.

The rumour that Mondo is pressing The Fountain fucking kills me. I've wanted that music on vinyl for a decade. It means a lot to me and I listen to it frequently. But not like this...I never wanted it to come to Mondo.

I mean I feel you, overpriced, more emphasis on color combinations/packaging. But the 2 mondo/death waltz things I have are really legit sounding too Shaun Of The Dead is one of my favorite movies, and I got a thing for Morricone since getting into Tarantino flicks. Go for the Fountain soundtrack if you love it dude, no judgements

More judgment on people's music tastes please. There just isn't enough.

The problem is there isn't enough judgement. Shitty music is shitty music. No one would think to make a breaking benjamin, tove lo, or phish thread back in the day for fear of the negative backlash. Now no one has any dignity. The reason they are called guilty pleasures is because even though you enjoy them you are embarrassed about it and keep it a secret.

It used to be that almost every thread was a band worth checking out. Now there might be 3 on the first page that aren't a load of crap.

Yeah everyone should be ashamed of their musical tastes and should be afraid to speak their mind lest they be judged by others.

lol jesus christ.

Do you need me to break down the science behind a board going to shit?

In the year 2008, a then college junior, Paul decided he was interested in exploring the world of vinyl. None of his friends had records or record players so he needed somewhere to turn to for information. He did a search and to his amazement there was a young message board that focused on all his favorite bands and records. He enjoyed a couple years where the only bands being discussed were fat wreck, suburban home, Asian man, no idea, deathwish... But then a very slight change happened. the tastes of the board started to sway. Threads were made for blink 182, coheed, brand new, circa survive. Now Paul didn't mind those bands, but he wasn't in high school anymore so he wanted to leave that in the past. He thought Vc was an escape from teen scene emo mall pop punk of his earlier days. If only he knew that was only the beginning of the downfall of the board. Now people were searching for threads specific to blink 182. These people had no interest at all in any of the bands Paul currently liked. These new members then started branching out even more generic radio ready bands. Then people started joining the board to talk specifically about those crappy bands. Then those people made threads about straight up top 40 acts. Taking note in the popularity major labels decided to destroy the medium for the second time. Other labels specified in making soundtracks for breaking bad on vinyl. Now a place where Paul once loved for finding out about all the bands he dug turned into the warm turd known as the hobby.

While this board never had specific rules on what bands to cover it was understood that crap would not be tolerated. Over time that understanding faded until the board became unrecognizable.

To tie this together. The more shitty threads made the more shitty users join.

In the year 2008, a then college junior, Paul decided he was interested in exploring the world of vinyl. None of his friends had records or record players so he needed somewhere to turn to for information. He did a search and to his amazement there was a young message board that focused on all his favorite bands and records. He enjoyed a couple years where the only bands being discussed were fat wreck, suburban home, Asian man, no idea, deathwish... But then a very slight change happened. the tastes of the board started to sway. Threads were made for blink 182, coheed, brand new, circa survive. Now Paul didn't mind those bands, but he wasn't in high school anymore so he wanted to leave that in the past. He thought Vc was an escape from teen scene emo mall pop punk of his earlier days. If only he knew that was only the beginning of the downfall of the board. Now people were searching for threads specific to blink 182. These people had no interest at all in any of the bands Paul currently liked. These new members then started branching out even more generic radio ready bands. Then people started joining the board to talk specifically about those crappy bands. Then those people made threads about straight up top 40 acts. Taking note in the popularity major labels decided to destroy the medium for the second time. Other labels specified in making soundtracks for breaking bad on vinyl. Now a place where Paul once loved for finding out about all the bands he dug turned into the warm turd known as the hobby.

While this board never had specific rules on what bands to cover it was understood that crap would not be tolerated. Over time that understanding faded until the board became unrecognizable.

A person with a Taking Back Sunday album title as their username lecturing other people on what they should and shouldn't admit to listening to. Now I've seen everything.

If you don't like the thread, don't post in it. Who fucking cares.

Travis should be accountable for 100% of the mallcore blame and I'm pretty sure he was one of the precious proboards members soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo....

Honestly though I've actually watched a couple members that came for Blink posting in other threads that have good music in them and also some new members that take advice and want to learn about their new hobby. Few and far between but good enough for me.

Satan is the only poster complaining about things here that I regularly see in the vinyl section, even if his posts are almost all inflammatory and generally shitty he isn't just sitting here complaining. If you want to talk about a new release and music you like then be proactive and contribute. Make a thread and start a conversation, being in a topic is pretty cool because you can't see all the Blink shit. It's like magic.

Honestly though I've actually watched a couple members that came for Blink posting in other threads that have good music in them and also some new members that take advice and want to learn about their new hobby. Few and far between but good enough for me.

Satan is the only poster complaining about things here that I regularly see in the vinyl section, even if his posts are almost all inflammatory and generally shitty he isn't just sitting here complaining. If you want to talk about a new release and music you like then be proactive and contribute. Make a thread and start a conversation, being in a topic is pretty cool because you can't see all the Blink shit. It's like magic.

No joke. I found this website through the fucking blonk thread, but my taste is far from limited to that kind of music. 

People need to quit being so pretentious about music tastes around here. I've seen it a lot more lately, and it's nothing but annoying. Music is 100% subjective, and I shouldn't even have to say that. Holding opinions about music is fine, but being vocally condescending towards others about music taste is one of the douchiest things you can do in a place like this. Everyone should be able to enjoy their music and make whatever thread they want.

I'll go even further for you guys and explain why any of this matters. I'll use only two bands so I can over simplify this for you.

2010: a record store buys 20 copies of "punk band" record. Same store buys 0 copies of pop band record. Store sells punk record for $10 a piece.

2012: "punk band" and "pop band" both put out new albums. Store buys ten copies of "punk band" and ten copies of "pop band". Store sells punk record for $10 and pop record for $20.

2014: both bands put out album again. This time store buy 5 copies of punk record and 15 copies of pop record. Since the punk label can't sell as many they are forced to raise wholesale price and now the store charges $15 for punk record. Since the pop label is selling so many records they exploit their fan base and charge more forcing the store to sell the pop record for $25.

2016: both bands put out new records. Record store doesn't buy any punk records because there is a 9 month delay at the plant. Record store instead buys 20 copies of pop record and again the label raises the price forcing the store to sell for $30.

The micro economics of a record store.

I'll go even further for you guys and explain why any of this matters. I'll use only two bands so I can over simplify this for you.

2010: a record store buys 20 copies of "punk band" record. Same store buys 0 copies of pop band record. Store sells punk record for $10 a piece.

2012: "punk band" and "pop band" both put out new albums. Store buys ten copies of "punk band" and ten copies of "pop band". Store sells punk record for $10 and pop record for $20.

2014: both bands put out album again. This time store buy 5 copies of punk record and 15 copies of pop record. Since the punk label can't sell as many they are forced to raise wholesale price and now the store charges $15 for punk record. Since the pop label is selling so many records they exploit their fan base and charge more forcing the store to sell the pop record for $25.

2016: both bands put out new records. Record store doesn't buy any punk records because there is a 9 month delay at the plant. Record store instead buys 20 copies of pop record and again the label raises the price forcing the store to sell for $30.

The micro economics of a record store.

I think that's the micro economics of nothing and you're skewing everything to fit your views.

Christ you are dense.

Must have slept through econ.

Here is what happened on day 1. The teacher goes in front of the class and asks what is economics. One study says money. One says the stock market. The teacher says you are both kind of correct. It studies the behavior of individuals and firms in making decisions regarding the allocation of limited resources.

Then he says let's use record collecting as an example what are the limited resources. Disposable income, raw materials, floor space.

On the second day he goes over the example shown above.

Must have slept through econ.

Here is what happened on day 1. The teacher goes in front of the class and asks what is economics. One study says money. One says the stock market. The teacher says you are both kind of correct. It studies the behavior of individuals and firms in making decisions regarding the allocation of limited resources.

Then he says let's use record collecting as an example what are the limited resources. Disposable income, raw materials, floor space.

On the second day he goes over the example shown above.

What the fuck are you even talking about?

Are you in the wrong thread??