OPEN LETTER TO VC.

Satan

“I don’t believe in guilty pleasures. If you fucking like something, like it. That’s what’s wrong with our generation: that residual punk rock guilt, like, “You’re not supposed to like that. That’s not fucking cool.” Don’t fucking think it’s not cool to like Britney Spears’ “Toxic.” It is cool to like Britney Spears’ “Toxic”! Why the fuck not? Fuck you! That’s who I am, goddamn it! That whole guilty pleasure thing is full of fucking shit.”

Do you need me to break down the science behind a board going to shit?

In the year 2008, a then college junior, Paul decided he was interested in exploring the world of vinyl. None of his friends had records or record players so he needed somewhere to turn to for information. He did a search and to his amazement there was a young message board that focused on all his favorite bands and records. He enjoyed a couple years where the only bands being discussed were fat wreck, suburban home, Asian man, no idea, deathwish... But then a very slight change happened. the tastes of the board started to sway. Threads were made for blink 182, coheed, brand new, circa survive. Now Paul didn't mind those bands, but he wasn't in high school anymore so he wanted to leave that in the past. He thought Vc was an escape from teen scene emo mall pop punk of his earlier days. If only he knew that was only the beginning of the downfall of the board. Now people were searching for threads specific to blink 182. These people had no interest at all in any of the bands Paul currently liked. These new members then started branching out even more generic radio ready bands. Then people started joining the board to talk specifically about those crappy bands. Then those people made threads about straight up top 40 acts. Taking note in the popularity major labels decided to destroy the medium for the second time. Other labels specified in making soundtracks for breaking bad on vinyl. Now a place where Paul once loved for finding out about all the bands he dug turned into the warm turd known as the hobby.

While this board never had specific rules on what bands to cover it was understood that crap would not be tolerated. Over time that understanding faded until the board became unrecognizable.

To tie this together. The more shitty threads made the more shitty users join.

Although I don't 100% agree with everything you said you aren't wrong. When I first joined VC back in the day you could blind buy a record (when they were $10 a pop) and there was a significantly high chance it'd be good. I got into the format to get more obscure and hard to find releases that were exclusive to it, since getting into records 2015 is the first year I've bought less than 10. Kinda makes me sad.

Do you guys not see higher prices and longer delays for records?

Do you REALLY think that reactionary "Pre-Order" posts determine market trends? Do you think that if someone posts a Blink 182 PO thread and someone else posts a Misfits PO thread they both can't sell well? Do you think that the VC community is AT ALL a significant portion of the vinyl market at large?  Do you see ANY correlation between posting about "guilty pleasures" and record prices/press times going up?

Your posts aren't worth the time it takes to skim them.

Smaller production runs = higher per unit cost

And you miss the point again. I thought this board was about "punk" ethics? Gotta sell copies gotta sell copies gotta sell copies is supposed to not fucking matter according to all you jaded members. Until you need to skew it into this I guess.

Either way, in the last 5 or so years all my favorite labels have only had $2-4 price increases. You just might have to find labels that are legitimately supportive of the format.

Although I don't 100% agree with everything you said you aren't wrong. When I first joined VC back in the day you could blind buy a record (when they were $10 a pop) and there was a significantly high chance it'd be good. I got into the format to get more obscure and hard to find releases that were exclusive to it, since getting into records 2015 is the first year I've bought less than 10. Kinda makes me sad.

And this is one of the best years in music in a very long time, I'm sad for you.

How about we just talk about all bands and all genres, forever?

Even if I don't like the pop punk junk, I realize there's a place for it here just like anything else does, no matter how mainstream or obscure. I could make a thread about something I like, instead of expending the same energy to bash other people's tastes. All the tools are available to do so, I just gotta do it.

Hey guys,

All of your personal opinions and what you do with your ears, money, time, and personal material possessions affect my real life and are an inconvenience to me. If you could all kindly be the type of people I would prefer you to be that would be great. Mostly just be another version of me, I'm not much into variety and change.

Thanks,

deafening

And this is one of the best years in music in a very long time, I'm sad for you.

These last few years have been incredible, actually. 2015 not withstanding. Blaming a lack of interest in new releases on "differing tastes" is a fair excuse, but that's really your loss. Anyone complaining about a glaring deficit of quality music just needs to broaden their horizons a bit, or reach beyond the low-hanging fruit that's spoon-fed through general VC hype.

Reading through the last few posts and page(s) I just chuckle @ myself and the whole music tastes argument and how disparate they are.

Different strokes for different folks as they say. But what amuses me personally is that in the last two years or so, my tastes have veered so much away from the usual hardcore and metal that I listen to. When any of the threads get posted for new bands and they don't get the traffic as I feel they should, I don't throw a shitfit and call people out for their "questionable" taste in music. I keep it to myself...but I do wonder why people go ape-shit over a certain band(s) that to me are "meh" while here I am listening to the greatest thing in the world. At least to me.

Again...whatever floats your boat.

Do you REALLY think that reactionary "Pre-Order" posts determine market trends? Do you think that if someone posts a Blink 182 PO thread and someone else posts a Misfits PO thread they both can't sell well? Do you think that the VC community is AT ALL a significant portion of the vinyl market at large? Do you see ANY correlation between posting about "guilty pleasures" and record prices/press times going up?

Your posts aren't worth the time it takes to skim them.

There are certainly label owners that read these boards. If they see a release is getting a lot of attention they may be inclined to put out a similar release to capitalize on that.

Really, the only complaint that I have about the industry is that we don't have enough plants to produce everything. The constant influx of stuff that doesn't need to be pressed (you know what I'm talking about) is delaying pressing more and more every day. I think one of my Newbury pressings has been delayed about 3 or 4 times, for an album that has been out for a month now. It's kind of lame, but people need to calm down, and stop being so materialistic about the music. As long as you can listen to it in some fashion, I think we can be a little more patient.

I don't really have any complaints about pricing. Like Shelbs said, I have only seen prices go up a few bucks, which I can live with to be able to spin some of my favorite music. Seems to me that the cliche / nostalgia / gimmick presses are the ones that jack prices, so no skin off my nose since I'm not buying a $30 movie score.

Do you guys not see higher prices and longer delays for records?

Take Mylene Sheath for example. It is run by two incredibly awesome people who put out great music, great quality pressings. They remastered that Caspian live album, got new plates for it, new artwork, trans. colored variants, small batch of 400, yet they were only $16 a pop. That's fucking fantastic, especially taking into consideration what a 'small' label it is.

Sure stuff is getting delayed, but late is better than never. I waited for that live repress for over a year, but I didn't get mad, or complain. I just got more, and more excited. If you really love the music, the wait is worth it.

These last few years have been incredible, actually. 2015 not withstanding. "Differing tastes" is a fair excuse, but that's really your loss. Anyone complaining about a glaring lack of quality music just needs to broaden their horizons a bit, or reach beyond the low-hanging fruit that's spoon-fed through general VC hype.

Honestly, 2015 has been one of my favorite years for music in quite some time.* There have been solid releases spanning various genres from post rock to atmospheric black metal to folk r&b to stoner rock to dream rock to Ryan Adams covering Taylor Swift. Really, I think it's kind of sad that people limit themselves to only certain ways of listening to music (top 40, pandora, etc.) or particular genres. Sure, listen to what you like, but fuck, there is so much good and diverse music out there, and you're missing out. I'm sure someone as yourself, Derek, understand what I mean when I talk about really loving music, as you broaden your tastes to get out as much as you can out of a limitless (excuse the cliche) life source. What I like to try to do is give music suggestions to everyone I possibly can. I don't particularly care for people (people suck), but I'll make an exception to help broaden someone's musical tastes. 'Here, listen to this blues album from 1930 that was recorded in a hotel room.' 'Try this album, it is so fucking heart breaking that you'll want to kill yourself, but can't cause you want to keep listening.' 'Have you heard this? It's like Sabbath goes stoner rock in Norway!' I mean, music, fuck, I can't get enough. I just wish other people could open their eyes a little more. At least we have a handful of people to talk to about Grouper, Caspian, Toundra, etc. etc. (I really didn't mean this to turn into a rant. At least it went from anger, to 'damn, I love music'.) I'll text you later, Derek. I have some album suggestions for you. : )

A few of my favorites from the year so far:

// Caspian - Dust & Disquiet
// The Devil & The Almighty Blues - S/T
// Turnover - Peripheral Vision
// Deafheaven - New Bermuda
// Kadavar - Berlin
// Superheaven - Ours Is Chrome
// Mutoid Man - Bleeder
// Toundra - IV
// Elder - Lore

// Monolord - Vænir

// Metz - II

// Sumac - The Deal

// Horsehunter - Caged In Flesh
// Nathaniel Rateliff & The Nighty Sweats - S/T
// BTBAM - Come Ecliptic
// The Dead Weather - Dodge & Burn
// Clutch - Psychic Warfare
// Eagles of Death Metal - Zipper Down
// V/A - Whatever Nevermind: Nirvana Tribute
// Ryan Adams - 1989

Really, the only complaint that I have about the industry is that we don't have enough plants to produce everything. The constant influx of stuff that doesn't need to be pressed (you know what I'm talking about) is delaying pressing more and more every day.

I have to agree. The 15000 Bruce Springsteen records on Record Store Day kinda hurt my heart, especially when hearing how other small-time records were excluded for not being 'interesting' enough.

I love my taste in music. It's a little hard to swallow, soft to the pallet, and often just a little shitty.

Honestly, Jared Rambo is one of my best friends here. We have like 25% compatibility. Jared has never once said anything about my country music fetish, nor have I said anything about is ass-tastic punk music.

Wait, what does this have to do with anything?

Nothing.

I just wanted to soapbox because it's the nü-VC.

Stop being so cool on the Internet, guys.