OPEN LETTER TO VC.

Satan

I love my taste in music. It's a little hard to swallow, soft to the pallet, and often just a little shitty.

Honestly, Jared Rambo is one of my best friends here. We have like 25% compatibility. Jared has never once said anything about my country music fetish, nor have I said anything about is ass-tastic punk music.

Wait, what does this have to do with anything?

Nothing.

I just wanted to soapbox because it's the nü-VC.

Stop being so cool on the Internet, guys.

I love me some good country: Dolly Parton, Del Reeves, Emmylou Harris, Elvis, George Jones, Cash, Kansas Joe McCoy, Kenny Rogers, Patsy Cline, Roger Miller, Tony Joe White, Steve Earle, Tammy Wynette, Willie Nelson, Zach Brown Band, Waylon Jennings, Kris Kristofferson, Hank Williams, Loretta Lynn, Townes Van Zandt, I can go on and on. Damn, I love me some good country music. So heartfelt, so depressing, so pure.

I love me some good country: Dolly Parton, Del Reeves, Emmylou Harris, Elvis, George Jones, Cash, Kansas Joe McCoy, Kenny Rogers, Patsy Cline, Roger Miller, Tony Joe White, Steve Earle, Tammy Wynette, Willie Nelson, Zach Brown Band, Waylon Jennings, Kris Kristofferson, Hank Williams, Loretta Lynn, Townes Van Zandt, I can go on and on. Damn, I love me some good country music. So heartfelt, so depressing, so pure.

Jared and I have compromised...

WillieNelson.jpg

I'll go even further for you guys and explain why any of this matters. I'll use only two bands so I can over simplify this for you.

2010: a record store buys 20 copies of "punk band" record. Same store buys 0 copies of pop band record. Store sells punk record for $10 a piece.

2012: "punk band" and "pop band" both put out new albums. Store buys ten copies of "punk band" and ten copies of "pop band". Store sells punk record for $10 and pop record for $20.

2014: both bands put out album again. This time store buy 5 copies of punk record and 15 copies of pop record. Since the punk label can't sell as many they are forced to raise wholesale price and now the store charges $15 for punk record. Since the pop label is selling so many records they exploit their fan base and charge more forcing the store to sell the pop record for $25.

2016: both bands put out new records. Record store doesn't buy any punk records because there is a 9 month delay at the plant. Record store instead buys 20 copies of pop record and again the label raises the price forcing the store to sell for $30.

The micro economics of a record store.

Five years working in several record stores and an online retailer, it's almost impossible to overstate just how wrong you are.

Did you really just put Townes and Kenny Rogers on the same page?

I'll go even further for you guys and explain why any of this matters. I'll use only two bands so I can over simplify this for you.

2010: a record store buys 20 copies of "punk band" record. Same store buys 0 copies of pop band record. Store sells punk record for $10 a piece.

2012: "punk band" and "pop band" both put out new albums. Store buys ten copies of "punk band" and ten copies of "pop band". Store sells punk record for $10 and pop record for $20.

2014: both bands put out album again. This time store buy 5 copies of punk record and 15 copies of pop record. Since the punk label can't sell as many they are forced to raise wholesale price and now the store charges $15 for punk record. Since the pop label is selling so many records they exploit their fan base and charge more forcing the store to sell the pop record for $25.

2016: both bands put out new records. Record store doesn't buy any punk records because there is a 9 month delay at the plant. Record store instead buys 20 copies of pop record and again the label raises the price forcing the store to sell for $30.

The micro economics of a record store.

789497.jpg

Allison, Juan, Flood, Danthemjfan, Scott, Niku/Toki (I think they were the same) Kriss from Chicago, Justin Communique, Matt the teacher, the St. Louis dude who was real nice and the smashing pumpkins fan, and even Virgil, until the very end.  These were all great people who made the board amazing. Those were the glory days when we would be buying Boys Night Out and Foxy Shazam records from Virgil for $5.

I don't ever post anymore and only really use it as a trading/selling forum.  Too many kids complaining about bent corners and not getting a tracking number within 24 hours.

Although I don't 100% agree with everything you said you aren't wrong. When I first joined VC back in the day you could blind buy a record (when they were $10 a pop) and there was a significantly high chance it'd be good. I got into the format to get more obscure and hard to find releases that were exclusive to it, since getting into records 2015 is the first year I've bought less than 10. Kinda makes me sad.

There have been a lot of $20-$30+ new vinyl releases this year that I passed on and instead opted for a $8-$12 cd version.

In the early days of this board I wasn't even considering cds because the vinyl was reasonably priced. 

If we stay on the subject of what "needs" to be pressed, can someone tell me why -bands- now have to release like 10 variants of their new album at launch? Like Deafheaven for instance. 

That is what doesn't make sense to me. 

And the argument, "I see soundtracks at Goodwill all the time" doesn't hold any weight because, so far, people are still interested in the stuff they buy and usually the soundtracks they buy are all overpriced so they wouldn't go to a thrift store anyway. I think what Birdwell is constantly harping on is seeing soundtracks from the 60's and 70's which were produced in mass and really have no value. Not really comparative to what is going on now. 

If we stay on the subject of what "needs" to be pressed, can someone tell me why -bands- now have to release like 10 variants of their new album at launch? Like Deafheaven for instance.

That is what doesn't make sense to me.

And the argument, "I see soundtracks at Goodwill all the time" doesn't hold any weight because, so far, people are still interested in the stuff they buy and usually the soundtracks they buy are all overpriced so they wouldn't go to a thrift store anyway. I think what Birdwell is constantly harping on is seeing soundtracks from the 60's and 70's which were produced in mass and really have no value. Not really comparative to what is going on now.

Mostly 80's soundtracks, actually. I'm also saying....that's where they belong and will end up when this small vinyl resurgence dies down....the people interested in this as a legitimate and viable format aren't looking to spin Napoleon Dynamite soundtracks now, nor in the future. The genres and bands that continued to use this format and keep it viable in the nineties and early '00s will be the same genres and bands that keep it going after soundtrack season is over.

Where we're at now is awesome that some stuff is getting a pressin finally....but it sucks because it's not being done correctly and with care because everybody is trying to release something on the format and sound quality and attention to detail seem to be a second thought, if at all. Major label reissues and soundtracks (most of which are put out by major labels) seem to be a large portion of this. I'm not saying it's not "what the people want" I'm saying it's the McDonald's and Wal-Mart of the musical world being played off and sold like Filet Mignon and Versace

Halloween Whopper of the vinyl world

Also tired of every new pressing having a minimum of 3 variants

Thing that bothers me the most is all the Amazon links. Oh really?! Amazon has a record for sale?! And it's the cheapest?! I can't believe it! It's one thing to support Amazon, but can we at least be discreet?

Hm. So if someone posts 4 options to buy, one of which happens to be Amazon, you'd rather people not have that choice? Even if it's significantly less expensive?

I mean, I get it. If it's a buck or two, whatever. If it's significant savings, yeah, I'll do Amazon.

Businesses must love you if you only ever want to see the highest priced options available.