How did you get into Post-Rock?

So...  the subject basically states itself.  I'm curious to hear everyone's stories pertaining to this fabulous style of music.  

For me, somehow Caspian came up on my Facebook feed; I'm friends with some people who formed a jamband in Boston, so it's possible that Caspian was mentioned in a thread on a jamband site in reference to other Boston bands.  I don't really remember, but I "liked" Caspian's page around the time that Waking Season was being released.  I listened to some music, and I didn't really get it at first iirc.  So it kind of fell by the wayside.

Fast forward to 2014, and somehow If These Trees Could Talk's "Red Forest" album was suggested to me on Youtube.  I checked it out a few times, and it honestly took me a little bit to grasp what was going on.  It was described as an ambient album, so I always just threw it on when I went to sleep.  Therefore, I didn't get too much exposure haha, it was a while until I finally listened to it all the way through while focused and awake, and had my first "HOLY SHIT!!!!!!!!!" moment with the songs "The First Fire" and "They Speak With Knives". 

But, you could probably say that my initial roots for this style can be traced back to purchasing "Oceanic" by Isis when that album came out.  I had downloaded a bunch of Isis tracks off of Napster when I was in high school, and loved how swampy and heavy they were.  The oppression and aggression and heaviness was just a whole different level with them, and then they would have these hypnotic, building repetitive groove sections with songs like "CFT (Continued Circuity and New Evolution)".  I bought Oceanic without ever hearing a lick of it, and I still remember the first time I listened to "Weight" on headphones with my discman, and being blown away by the peak of that tune, with the female vocals at the end.

Your turn!

I knew this had to be a Gumbo thread lol. I think this prob would be a good discussion in our Post-VC thread.

But plain & simple, Russian Circles - Geneva was my gateway drug.

I think its cleaner to have a separate thread just for this.  I want to hear your guys' stories!  There's got to be some cool shit you guys have stashed away.  

Oh for fucks sake! Fuck you.

"Guys, why do you like music? What's your story?"

We have two ears connected to a brain. God dammit.

What's with all the hate from you recently?  You just made a thread and asked for people to discuss music and why they like that music.  You were just talking about making a specific thread for "top 10 punk albums".  You were just talking about making a thread for  "top 10 influential albums".  

You seem pretty keen to tell us "Why you like music", and "What your story is", behind those albums, but you mock him for it.

WE HAVE A BRAIN DAMMIT, that's why we like music.  No need to discuss music.

What's with all the hate from you recently?  You just made a thread and asked for people to discuss music and why they like that music.  You were just talking about making a specific thread for "top 10 punk albums".  You were just talking about making a thread for  "top 10 influential albums".  

You seem pretty keen to tell us "Why you like music", and "What your story is", behind those albums, but you mock him for it.

WE HAVE A BRAIN DAMMIT, that's why we like music.  No need to discuss music.

Where is the sarcasm font.

Go read his history and you'll get it.

Where is the sarcasm font.

Go read his history and you'll get it.

It read to me like you're shooting him down pretty harshly for something you just did, albeit using proper grammar and punctuation.  

I have no idea what this dude has posted previously on this site, so maybe that played into it.

It read to me like you're shooting him down pretty harshly for something you just did, albeit using proper grammar and punctuation.  

I have no idea what this dude has posted previously on this site, so maybe that played into it.

It's not a topic thing at all. It's more so the history behind it all. That first reply was sarcastic though.

Ahh.  Didn't catch the sarcasm.  Maybe we do need a sarcasm font.  

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I would use it 90% of the time. Haha.

But if I'm going to answer the question, it was hearing God Is An Astronaut's All Is Violent, All Is Bright and Caspian's You Are The Conductor back in 2005. Every since them I've been in love with the genre. Simple as that.