Help! I'm a newbie

Hello all!

I had an idea for my sister for Christmas to travel to a city that's known for great record stores so she can pick out whatever she find appealing (because I haven't the slightest clue what she would pick out). Problem is- I know NOTHING about vinyl collections/stores or how I would even go about finding a city to take her where she would have a huge selection of records to chose from. She's into the alternative stuff- but nothing too hardcore. I want this to be a trip we can take together to de-stress a bit, have fun on the road, get lost in the city I chose to take her, and a trip she will be able to purchase records that she actually loves. We live in Virginia and and ideally, I wouldn't want to travel more west than Kentucky or Tennessee, and stay north of Florida and south of Vermont. We can even stay in VA for all I care- I just want to take her somewhere she hasn't been and will find records she'll love. ANY advice is helpful. Thank you guys in advance!

Atlanta has a couple of stores to hit up. Plus it's a fun little city. I can't speak for exactly what the stores have (a couple of people here can), but I can say the trip could be fun. Record shopping, the aquarium, and eating at a nice restaurant could make a freaking fantastic gift! Plus there's very little chance of snow. So that's a plus.

Hello all!

I had an idea for my sister for Christmas to travel to a city that's known for great record stores so she can pick out whatever she find appealing (because I haven't the slightest clue what she would pick out). Problem is- I know NOTHING about vinyl collections/stores or how I would even go about finding a city to take her where she would have a huge selection of records to chose from. She's into the alternative stuff- but nothing too hardcore. I want this to be a trip we can take together to de-stress a bit, have fun on the road, get lost in the city I chose to take her, and a trip she will be able to purchase records that she actually loves. We live in Virginia and and ideally, I wouldn't want to travel more west than Kentucky or Tennessee, and stay north of Florida and south of Vermont. We can even stay in VA for all I care- I just want to take her somewhere she hasn't been and will find records she'll love. ANY advice is helpful. Thank you guys in advance!

Hi there!  I'm in VA, too, near Richmond.  Which shops does your sister visit regularly?  That could help determine the type of shop she likes to visit.  Maybe even the music she'd prefer.

Oh! Somebody turn this story into a movie scenario!

This can be drama called "Vinyl dream" when in the end of hard trip they finally find last copy of "Devil and god" with sticker on it. But its okay, because their bonds grew stronger and nothing can break them. (also protagonist finds out that his sister is actually long lost brother(he lost him on Nickelback show))

Atlanta is definitely a fun place to record shop. Criminal Records, Wax 'n Facts, and Decatur CD can all be accessed by MARTA, and there's a train station in the airport that takes you directly into the city, which is really convenient. There's also the two Wuxtry Records locations: one in Decatur and one in Athens, which is about an hour's drive outside the city. I might be a little biased, but I think the Athens one is much better. If you end up deciding to make the trip out to Athens, Low Yo Yo Stuff is worth checking out as well.

Like Fowty mentioned, there's a bunch of other fun things to do in the city as well, and most of the "touristy" stuff is easily accessible via MARTA, provided you don't mind taking public transit.

Hello all!

If you want to take a shorter trip, distance-wise, head to Washington, D.C. — they have a bunch of great record stores: http://dcrecordmap.tumblr.com/

I can vouch for the ATL. The Athens Wuxtry is 1000% better than the Atlanta one, if you do a side trip to Athens (do it), don't miss LoYoYo stuff. Absolute gem of a record store. A national treasure.

The big names to hit in ATL have pretty much been mentioned, but don't sleep on the little hole in the wall shops either. There's a little place in Avondale Estates called Sunbrimmer that has an incredibly well curated used collection (new stuff is virtually nonexistent though). There's an amazing corndog restaraunt across the street too.

I can vouch for the ATL. The Athens Wuxtry is 1000% better than the Atlanta one, if you do a side trip to Athens (do it), don't miss LoYoYo stuff. Absolute gem of a record store. A national treasure.

The big names to hit in ATL have pretty much been mentioned, but don't sleep on the little hole in the wall shops either. There's a little place in Avondale Estates called Sunbrimmer that has an incredibly well curated used collection (new stuff is virtually nonexistent though). There's an amazing corndog restaraunt across the street too.

I've heard nothing but amazing things about Athens.