Tears in "new" record sleeves

Narwhal

I get occasional seam splits, they seem worse on non-shrinkwrapped records that are shipped with the disc in the sleeve.

I am super picky about creases or corner dings on brand new LP's that are sold as mint though.

That's the risk you take when ordering records by mail I guess.

You are the reason I don't sell anything online. If it's mint and then the USPS bangs it up its not the sellers fault.

You are the reason I don't sell anything online. If it's mint and then the USPS bangs it up its not the sellers fault.

Provided a record wasn't packaged in a jiffy bag or wrapped in paper, I wouldn't blame the seller. I would blame the carrier. And then I would accept there probably wouldn't be anything I could do - so I would probably have to just accept it, and possibly buy another copy if it was cheap enough and the damage was really bad. As I said when I mentioned that that's the risk you take when ordering by mail. I'm a perfectly reasonable buyer who fully understands that accidents happen. So I'm afraid I dont think I am your reason. I reckon five percent of my discs pick up damage in the post, if that. It's just the consequence of shipping something so fragile and large through the post.

All the best.

The only time I seem get damaged jackets are when they're sent in those frustration-free, easy open mailers. Lots of bigger labels seem to be switching over to them, obviously because they make packing records way easier due to not having to tape stuff, but they are a poor substitute for the standard mailer.

While they're not perfect, I've actually had good luck with those mailers, at least the ones Amazon is using. I'd rather take one of those vs a standard mailer with little to no extra packing/padding inside, which some sellers/labels seem to still be doing, sadly.

While they're not perfect, I've actually had good luck with those mailers, at least the ones Amazon is using. I'd rather take one of those vs a standard mailer with little to no extra packing/padding inside, which some sellers/labels seem to still be doing, sadly.

I reckon every single record I received last year that was warped or the jacked super damaged was from 11 Spot, Sub Pop or Mondo. With standard mailers, maybe one out of twenty will have tiny insignificant damage to the jacket and one out of fifty will show up with a record that is warped to some degree. But with these new frustration free mailers, 50% will turn up with jackets damaged in one way or another, and one in five will show up super warped.

Standard mailers only seem to be troublesome when people pack one single record in a mailer made for 2-4 records without any extra padding (as you mentioned), but those are few and far in between, and most people packing records know to fill that space with something.

They're even worse than those thin cardboard envelopes that UK punk labels always use.

Rocket From the Crypt addressed this issue difinitively with their Hot Charity "Cut Carefully and Play Loud" release.

The center hole of the record is physically affixed to the jacket requiring you to cut it out before you can remove and listen to the record. 

That record isn't sliding around and busting that seam.  No sir.  Immaculate.