Old Music is Outselling New Music for the First Time in History

Looks like this is from a few weeks ago but I only just read it and don't seem to recall anyone mentioning it around here:

LINK

Old Music is Outselling New Music for the First Time in History

Despite the massive success of Adele's album 25, which sold a whopping 7.4 million copies in only six weeks, 2015 marked the first time in U.S. history that new releases were outsold by catalogue albums. Seems like everyone's been feeling extra nostalgic lately.

The term "catalogue" refers to albums released more than 18 months ago. According to Nielsen's annual year end music report, catalogue albums outsold current releases by 4.3 million copies, something never before seen in the industry. Just 10 years ago, current music sales outpaced catalogue music by over 150 million albums. Keep in mind that these stats don't include album streams, but regardless, it's a significant turning point...

To be perfectly honest, I'm surprised this didn't happen years ago. Seems like reissues, old songs being featured in films and commercials, etc have been happening more and more lately.

Always interested in pop music trends, based on that chart especially. Crazy how big soulful r&b was in the 90s/early 2000s, and how little there is now on the radio

I remember that music was always on the radio. When my sister was driving me around back then that's all she listened to. It's ridiculous how terrible radio music has gotten. There is never anything remotely good playing on the radio these days. 

Only reason I haven't bought a new record in two years is because I keep finding classics for 10 bucks or cheaper. At this point, I'd rather get three New Order albums than The Epic. That's just me though.

This make sense to me and most of the board but I believe to chart the release would need to be new so those dollar bin (or 3 for $10) classics wouldn't factor into this.

This is more kids buying Stones reissues at Urban Outfitters for $20, and choosing those "catalog" titles over any current releases.

I remember that music was always on the radio. When my sister was driving me around back then that's all she listened to. It's ridiculous how terrible radio music has gotten. There is never anything remotely good playing on the radio these days.

I disagree, partially, there's definitely some good stuff. New Selena Gomez rules, plus you hear a lot of Taylor Swift, Fetty got some radio play, new Rihanna single is huge.

But it's super interesting to me. 2001-2006 had a lot of rock music on the radio. Hip hop was enormous in the 00's on pop radio. There's very little actual rap music on top 40 radio currently and haven't been for years. We don't hear Kanye or Kendrick or Future or Drake singles (other than Hotline Bling and Hold On We're Going Home and both weren't really rap songs) even though they're huge songs. It's all fascinating

This is only tracking soundscan stores so this doesn't count most indie record stores also. If you've seen the selection at places like B&N, it's pretty classic heavy. I know UO has a lot of new titles, but this does not come as shock to me that the bulk of soundscan stores are selling more reissues

It's less to do with new music being "bad", and more to do with smarter consumers.  The smarts being largely forced on them due to the economic downturn.  When that new single drops they think twice about throwing money at their iPhone to grab the album.  Maybe in a few months they'll see if they're still into it, they don't want to make impulse decisions and pay for music they're going to be tired of next month.

It's less to do with new music being "bad", and more to do with smarter consumers.  The smarts being largely forced on them due to the economic downturn.  When that new single drops they think twice about throwing money at their iPhone to grab the album.  Maybe in a few months they'll see if they're still into it, they don't want to make impulse decisions and pay for music they're going to be tired of next month.

The stats are for all new sales, whether its music that was released 2 years ago or yesterday.