PO Now: Whirr - Feels Like You (out on oct 31)

1 hour ago, jhulud said:

My copy arrived today. Haven’t opened it but I’m assuming the 7” is inside the jacket? 

yep it sure is inside.Lol I'm pretty sure they added the single sided part after preorders. I'm only kind of upset, but it's Whirr and it's on me lol. On the plus side it is a good 3 songs 

• 2 weeks later...

Can’t find where someone mentions that the 7” adaptor doesn’t even work. Tried mine just now, absolutely does not. It was pretty tight, so went at it with an X-Acto and tried to push. The center hole shattered in two.

I glued it back together and will photograph it to convert to a 3D model and 3D Print one that actually works. I’ll post STL when my new printer comes in.

• 5 months later...
On 2/16/2023 at 11:50 PM, dantheriver said:

Sounds sick to be honest. Saw a similar styled Nothing show in a tiny room a handful of years back, shit rocked. Wanna see Whirr real bad. Come back Whirr.

Whirr live is amazing. You can hardly see shit with all the fog and can’t hear the vocals at all but the guitars and vibrations are phenomenal.

6 hours ago, tetsuodaironman said:

Whirr live is amazing. You can hardly see shit with all the fog and can’t hear the vocals at all but the guitars and vibrations are phenomenal.

Nice. In the last few years I moved from SoCal to around Modesto and found out that’s their hometown. Kinda hoping that if they did a single show it’s be around here (Bay Area, Sacramento, whatever)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

It is the 10 year of it, would make sense. Maybe some old bsides from that era too would be sweet. 

Also, am I out of the loop or has Whirr always been more popular than Nothing? Whirr has over 800,000 monthly listeners  on Spotify compared to Nothing's 200k-ish. Not that that is necessarily the sole indication of level of popularity, but still, I'm surprised seeing as Nothing is a very active band and Whirr hasn't done much of anything since Feels Like You. 

Those nerds that write those articles ALWAYS try to say Whirr weren't a great band or just some generic snooze-fest. They just can't give it to them and it always makes everything they write seem completely ingenuine every time. It's just totally a fluke that their music persists despite being canceled 🙄

5 hours ago, jhulud said:

I read this piece...although it's hella long...that addresses in part on why WHIRR are still popular and whatnot even when they were "cancelled" back when. It has some interesting points, but as I said...it's long. 

On Whirr and Navigating Canceled Bands in Canon (elienis.com)

The person who wrote that does the indiecast podcast which is a group of 20 year olds who think  they know about indie/ emo music, but when they talk about bands it sounds like the most tame takes coming through a Gen Z filter. It's very unfortunate that that's the next generation of music fans/ criticism in a nutshell.

8 minutes ago, CatsNJazz said:

The person who wrote that does the indiecast podcast which is a group of 20 year olds who think  they know about indie/ emo music, but when they talk about bands it sounds like the most tame takes coming through a Gen Z filter. It's very unfortunate that that's the next generation of music fans/ criticism in a nutshell.

That explains why the article just meandered and repeated itself throughout. 

3 hours ago, CatsNJazz said:

tbf Eli's take in the article re: Whirr is anything but tame (that they sound like the sum of their influences and nothing more, no staying power)

I find it curiously funny that when the whole WHIRR “cancellation” happened, G.L.O.S.S. were riding high for a hot minute and then almost overnight just faded to be never heard from again. And yet, WHIRR didn’t really get cancelled as they still played shows, albeit very few, and put out new stuff, and from the looks of things, are still popular. 

Weird how that all played out. 

15 hours ago, copelandkid said:

tbf Eli's take in the article re: Whirr is anything but tame (that they sound like the sum of their influences and nothing more, no staying power)

I didn't read ot yet, I clicked on it and recognized the name and made an assumption and that sounds about right. They are really only concerned with 'Canceled' bands because it gives them a platform to be on this this weird moral high ground about music and liking bands. 

12 hours ago, jhulud said:

I find it curiously funny that when the whole WHIRR “cancellation” happened, G.L.O.S.S. were riding high for a hot minute and then almost overnight just faded to be never heard from again. And yet, WHIRR didn’t really get cancelled as they still played shows, albeit very few, and put out new stuff, and from the looks of things, are still popular. 

Weird how that all played out. 

Future music listening generations will have no context for this kind of stuff, which is something I find super interesting. Most of us grew up with certain bands/genres and we followed what we liked intensely and kids now have access to all that music without the context of how it was received/ reacted to in real time.