Jump to content

Best Albums of 2022?


Recommended Posts

Mine, in order of enjoyment:

 

Orville Peck - Bronco

Kendrick Lamar - Mr. Morale & The Big Steppers

Faye Webster - Car Therapy Sessions

The Midnight - Heroes

Thee Sacred Souls - Thee Sacred Souls

Denzel Curry - Melt My Eyez See Your Future

Dawes - Misadventures of Doomscroller

The 1975 - Being Funny In A Foreign Language

Ryan Adams - FM

S. Carey - Break Me Open

The Smile - A Light for Attracting Attention

Their / They're / There - Their / They're / Three

Death Cab For Cutie - Asphalt Meadows

Beach House - Once Twice Melody

SZA - S.O.S

Soccer Mommy - Sometimes, Forever

Tachys - Tachys

Standards - Fruit Town

Andrew Bird - Inside Problems

The Weeknd - Dawn FM

LIES - S/T

Christian Lee Hutson - Quitters

Edited by spintoshi
Link to comment
Share on other sites

FUSS - We’re Not Alone

Joyce Manor - 40 Oz to Fresno

Destroyer - Labyrinthitis

Soul Glo -  Diaspora Problems

Anxious - Little Green House

Weeknd - Dawn FM

Pusha T - It’s Almost Dry

Spoon - Lucifer on the Sofa

Praise - All In A Dream

Kendrick - Mr. Morale

 

Really behind on music this year. Here's what I loved tho. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lots to catch up on but here’s what I’ve liked so far:

 

Topiary Creatures - You Can Only Mourn Surprises
Gang of Youths - Angel in Realtime 
Obongjayar - Some Nights I Dream of Doors
Musikeum - Den Udodelige Somand
Flower Face - The Shark in Your Water
Los Colognes - The New World
Spring Silver - I Could Get Used to This
Yoo Doo Right - A Murmur, Boundless to the East
Sadurn - Radiator
How I Left - Birds in the City
Spiritualized - Everything Was Beautiful
Kill County - All That Remains
Georgeson - The Solitude of an Endless Sky
Proper. - The Great American Novel
Andrew Bergman - Cowabunga Supernova 
Riverby - Absolution
Charlie Hickey - Nervous at Night
Me and Reas - Bittersweet
 
EPs
Madi Diaz - Same History, New Feelings
Joseph Lamar - sin act 1 (naked virgins)
GILT - In Windows, Through Mirrors
Isabella James - Oizys is Birthing Herself 
Stay Inside - Blight
Link to comment
Share on other sites

pretty basic year for me so far, no particular order

 

Destroyer - Labyrinthitis

Mitski - Laurel Hell

Beach House - Once Twice Melody

Blushing - Possessions

Big Thief - Dragon New Warm Mountain

Letting Up Despite Great Faulty - IV

MJ Lenderman - Boat Songs

PLOSIVS - PLOSIVS

Sea Power - Everything Was Forevere

Sharon Van Etten - We've Been Going About This All Wrong

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, dawhizz said:

Lots to catch up on but here’s what I’ve liked so far:

 

Topiary Creatures - You Can Only Mourn Surprises
Gang of Youths - Angel in Realtime 
Obongjayar - Some Nights I Dream of Doors
Musikeum - Den Udodelige Somand
Flower Face - The Shark in Your Water
Los Colognes - The New World
Spring Silver - I Could Get Used to This
Yoo Doo Right - A Murmur, Boundless to the East
Sadurn - Radiator
How I Left - Birds in the City
Spiritualized - Everything Was Beautiful
Kill County - All That Remains
Georgeson - The Solitude of an Endless Sky
Proper. - The Great American Novel
Andrew Bergman - Cowabunga Supernova 
Riverby - Absolution
Charlie Hickey - Nervous at Night
Me and Reas - Bittersweet
 
EPs
Madi Diaz - Same History, New Feelings
Joseph Lamar - sin act 1 (naked virgins)
GILT - In Windows, Through Mirrors
Isabella James - Oizys is Birthing Herself 
Stay Inside - Blight

a lot here that ive got in the queue

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/21/2022 at 2:36 PM, shamrocks said:

pretty basic year for me so far, no particular order

 

Destroyer - Labyrinthitis

Mitski - Laurel Hell

Beach House - Once Twice Melody

Blushing - Possessions

Big Thief - Dragon New Warm Mountain

Letting Up Despite Great Faulty - IV

MJ Lenderman - Boat Songs

PLOSIVS - PLOSIVS

Sea Power - Everything Was Forevere

Sharon Van Etten - We've Been Going About This All Wrong

Glad to see that Blushing album on there. It's in my list too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Blushing - Posessions

Pike Vs. The Automaton

Grivo - Omit

Beach House - Once Twice Melody

Pedro the Lion - Havasu

Vince Staples - Ramona Park Broke My Heart

Haven't listened to the new Pusha T or Tomberlin albums but I'd guess those make the list.

Honestly haven't been listening to a ton of new music lately anyway.

 

New Conan album comes out in August, judging by the singles I'll like it a lot. New Built to Spill, Holy Fawn and Tim Kasher likely make the cut, and I enjoyed the new onelinedrawing and Anthony Green albums but maybe not enough to hit the best of list.

 

DIDN'T like the new Father John Misty album, and surprisingly didn't really care for Dawn FM either.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have been disappointed with or didn’t like a bit of the new albums I have heard this year, granted there’s hasn’t been many since I don’t have the energy to pay attention to most new releases these days. Didn’t really enjoy Joyce Manor, Cave In (don’t hate me), and Duster. Built to Spill sounds like it’s going to be another slightly enjoyable but phoned in album from Doug. 

I really enjoyed:

MJ Lenderman - Boat Songs

Gospel - The Loser/MVDM

Wilco - Cruel Country

Black Country, New Road - Ants From Up There

Cloakroom - Dissolution Wave

Giraffes? Giraffes! - Death Breath (surprisingly probably my AOTY so far? I have never liked anything else they have done that much)

 

I can already tell that Birds in Row is going to be incredible and will most likely be at the top of my list. Hoping new Loma Prieta and Bluetile Lounge come out this year.

 

Edited by Bronchitis
Page skipped and finger went to submit in the middle of typing a comment
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Probably my top five as of right now, in no particular order:

Drug Church - Hygiene

Tim Kasher - Middling Age

Wet Leg - Wet Leg

Soul Glo - Diaspora Problems

Elder Jack - Elder Jack Long Play (https://elderjack.bandcamp.com/album/elder-jack-long-play)

 

Edited by mitchard
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/28/2022 at 9:24 AM, Bronchitis said:

I can already tell that Birds in Row is going to be incredible and will most likely be at the top of my list. Hoping new Loma Prieta and Bluetile Lounge come out this year.

New Loma would be so rad.  I feel like it’s been numerous years in a row now where I get excited to see them announce a new release, but it’s been 1 single or a 7” with < 8 minutes of new music.  Another proper LP is the dream.  At least that new BIR is shaping up to be incredibly promising, like you had mentioned.

Shame you didn’t dig Cave In or Duster all that much.  I liked the latest Duster album a lot more than their 2019 S/T.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

New Loma would be so rad.  I feel like it’s been numerous years in a row now where I get excited to see them announce a new release, but it’s been 1 single or a 7” with < 8 minutes of new music.  Another proper LP is the dream.

Self Portrait was one of my favorite albums last decade and I’m excited to see what they have up their sleeve when they finally release a new full length. They are playing not too far from me tomorrow night and I unfortunately can’t make it.

22 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Shame you didn’t dig Cave In or Duster all that much.  I liked the latest Duster album a lot more than their 2019 S/T.

I can totally acknowledge that the new Cave In is incredible and get why people lost their shit over it, but I just realized that band gets way too close to butt rock territory for my liking. Nothing personal, but yeah…not my thing. The instrumentals are pretty sick though. And I agree that the new Duster is better than S/T. That one did nothing for me and I have only listened to it a couple times since it released. I’ll have to reevaluate Together when I am more in the mood. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Absent In Body – Plague God (doom – mem of Amenra/Neurosis/ex-Sepultura)

Author & Punisher – Krüller (industrial / doom)

Beach House – Once Twice Melody (dream pop)

Blind Girls – The Weight Of Everything (screamo / FFO: Nuvolascura)

Boris – W (drone/doom)

Cave In – Heavy Pendulum

Celeste – Assassine(s) (black metal mixed with screamo)

Chat Pile – God’s Country (noise rock)

Crisis Man – Asleep In America (Ross from Ceremony’s newer band that sounds like Black Flag)

Crossed – Morrir (mem of Descubriendo a Mr. Mime playing early 2000’s metalcore/screamo)

De Facto Enscripture - Sardonic Entropy Nexus (screamo)

Duster – Together (lo-fi bedroom rock / ambient)

Final – It Comes To Us All (drone/ambient)

Final – Expect Nothing And The Kingdom Will Be Yours (drone/ambient)

Final Light – s/t (Perterbator + singer of Cult Of Luna)

Foreign Hands – Bleed The Dream (7 angels 7 plagues worship)

Gospel – The Loser (prog rock goes screamo)

Gospel – The Magic Volume Of Dark Matter (prog rock)

Mizmor & Thou – Myopia (best doom album this year)

Mizmor – Wit’s End (ambient/doom)

Morrow – The Quiet Earth (FFO: Fall Of Efrafa/Light Bearer / neo-crust)

Ode And Elegy – s/t (mem of The Pax Cecilia / THIS IS INCREDIBLE)

Piri Reis – Ritma (FFO: Orchid/Louise Cyphre / screamo)

Primitive Man – Insurmountable (doom & gloom)

Russian Circles – Gnosis

SOM – The Shape Of Everything (mem of Caspian / Constants – shoegaze/dream pop)

Soul Glo - Diaspora Problems (hardcore punk)

Vile Creature & Bismuth – A Hymn Of Loss And Hope (doom and gloom)

Yearning – MMXXII (FFO: Orchid / Louise Cyphre – screamo)

Years Passing – Nowhere Is (drone/ambient)


Too fucking many. I'm not narrowing anything down. This is what's been on constant loop throughout my year so far. There's a few more I haven't had the chance to spin yet that I'm sure will be added to my list.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/11/2022 at 11:33 AM, shamrocks said:

I know its not the site for it but the Zach Bryan - American Heartbreak is wonderful. I lumped it in with bro-country and its really good Americana with callbacks to some of the classic country artists as well. It will be in my top 5 with Lenderman, Soccer Mommy, Mitski, Alvvays

gonna check this out for sure

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Due to personal life events throughout the year, I feel I havn't listened / payed attention to enough newer stuff that was coming out.. Anyways, here's my top 20 albums of the year,  They are in no particular order:
 
Brutus - Unison Life
Cave In - Heavy Pendulum
Viagra Boys - Cave World
Clutch - Sunrise on Slaughter Beach
The Callous Daoboys - Celebrity Therapist
Chat Pile - God's Country
Sonja - Loud Arriver
Mindforce - New Lords
Bloodywood - Rakshak
Wormrot - Hiss
Bob Vylan - Presents The Price Of Life
Municipal Waste - Electrified Brain
Soul Glo - Diaspora Problems
Porcupine Tree - Closure / Continuation
Master Boot Record - Personal Computer
Rammstein - Zeit
Carpenter Brut - Leather Terror
Drug Church - Hyigene
Author & Punisher - Kruller
Zeal & Ardor - Zeal & Ardor
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Top 10 (in no particular order)

No Pressure - S/T

Anxious - Little Green House

White Lung - Premonition

Hot Water Music - Feel The Void

The Early November - Twenty

Pohgoh - Du Und Ich

Alex G - God Save The Animals

Soccer Mommy - Sometimes, Forever

Tegan & Sara - Crybaby

Avril Lavigne - Love Sux (...for real, it's a banger)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

 

  1.  Wild Pink - ILYSM
  2. Topiary Creatures - You Can Only Mourn Surprises
  3. Secret Grief - Tempus
  4. A Place for Owls - A Place for Owls
  5. Gang of Youths - Angel in Realtime 
  6. JID - Forever Story
  7. Obongjayar - Some Nights I Dream of Doors
  8. Musikeum - Den Udodelige Somand
  9. Flower Face - The Shark in Your Water
  10. Will Wood - In Case I Make It
  11. Jake Blount - The New Faith
  12. Los Colognes - The New World
  13. Spring Silver - I Could Get Used to ThiS
  14. The Human Fly - Thrill of Living
  15. Onsegen Ensemble - Realms
  16. Sadurn - Radiator
  17. Wilderun - Epigone
  18. Yoo Doo Right - A Murmur, Boundless to the East
  19. Orochen - Anthroposcenic
  20. Andrew Bergman - Cowabunga Supernova 
  21. How I Left - Birds in the City
  22. Proper. - The Great American Novel 
  23. Kill County - All That Remains
  24. Georgeson - The Solitude of an Endless Sky
  25. Plains - I Walked With You A Ways
  26. Spiritualized - Everything Was Beautiful
  27. The Tisburys - Exile on Main Street
  28. Charlie Hickey - Nervous at Night
  29. YUTZY - Coffee
  30. Plato III - The Devil Has Texas
 
EPs
Madi Diaz - Same History, New Feelings
Joseph Lamar - sin act 1 (naked virgins)
GILT - In Windows, Through Mirrors
Isabella James - Oizys is Birthing Herself 
Stay Inside - Blight
Carpool - For Nasal Use Only
Secret Grief - Bloom
Meare - Invisible Strings
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/23/2022 at 4:59 PM, dawhizz said:

 

  1.  Wild Pink - ILYSM
  2. Topiary Creatures - You Can Only Mourn Surprises
  3. Secret Grief - Tempus
  4. A Place for Owls - A Place for Owls
  5. Gang of Youths - Angel in Realtime 
  6. JID - Forever Story
  7. Obongjayar - Some Nights I Dream of Doors
  8. Musikeum - Den Udodelige Somand
  9. Flower Face - The Shark in Your Water
  10. Will Wood - In Case I Make It
  11. Jake Blount - The New Faith
  12. Los Colognes - The New World
  13. Spring Silver - I Could Get Used to ThiS
  14. The Human Fly - Thrill of Living
  15. Onsegen Ensemble - Realms
  16. Sadurn - Radiator
  17. Wilderun - Epigone
  18. Yoo Doo Right - A Murmur, Boundless to the East
  19. Orochen - Anthroposcenic
  20. Andrew Bergman - Cowabunga Supernova 
  21. How I Left - Birds in the City
  22. Proper. - The Great American Novel 
  23. Kill County - All That Remains
  24. Georgeson - The Solitude of an Endless Sky
  25. Plains - I Walked With You A Ways
  26. Spiritualized - Everything Was Beautiful
  27. The Tisburys - Exile on Main Street
  28. Charlie Hickey - Nervous at Night
  29. YUTZY - Coffee
  30. Plato III - The Devil Has Texas
 
EPs
Madi Diaz - Same History, New Feelings
Joseph Lamar - sin act 1 (naked virgins)
GILT - In Windows, Through Mirrors
Isabella James - Oizys is Birthing Herself 
Stay Inside - Blight
Carpool - For Nasal Use Only
Secret Grief - Bloom
Meare - Invisible Strings

What genre are these? I haven’t heard of almost any of the bands

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Tidal Wave said:

What genre are these? I haven’t heard of almost any of the bands

Lots of indie rock/emo and singer/songwriter/folk with some other stuff mixed in.

  1. Wild Pink - ILYSM (indie rock)
  2. Topiary Creatures - You Can Only Mourn Surprises (emo/indie rock)
  3. Secret Grief - Tempus (emo/indie rock)
  4. A Place for Owls - A Place for Owls (emo/indie rock)
  5. Gang of Youths - Angel in Realtime  (indie rock)
  6. JID - Forever Story (hip hop)
  7. Obongjayar - Some Nights I Dream of Doors (experimental/alternative r&b)
  8. Musikeum - Den Udodelige Somand (folk)
  9. Flower Face - The Shark in Your Water (singer/songwriter)
  10. Will Wood - In Case I Make It (singer/songwriter)
  11. Jake Blount - The New Faith (folk/gospel)
  12. Los Colognes - The New World (pop rock)
  13. Spring Silver - I Could Get Used to This (alternative/hyperpop)
  14. The Human Fly - Thrill of Living (indie rock/singer/songwriter)
  15. Onsegen Ensemble - Realms (prog)
  16. Sadurn - Radiator (indie rock/folk)
  17. Wilderun - Epigone (prog/metal)
  18. Yoo Doo Right - A Murmur, Boundless to the East (krautrock/post-rock)
  19. Orochen - Anthroposcenic (rock)
  20. Andrew Bergman - Cowabunga Supernova (pop punk)
  21. How I Left - Birds in the City (indie rock)
  22. Proper. - The Great American Novel (indie rock)
  23. Kill County - All That Remains (folk)
  24. Georgeson - The Solitude of an Endless Sky (contemporary classical)
  25. Plains - I Walked With You A Ways (indie rock/americana)
  26. Spiritualized - Everything Was Beautiful (rock)
  27. The Tisburys - Exile on Main Street (rock/power pop)
  28. Charlie Hickey - Nervous at Night (singer/songwriter)
  29. YUTZY - Coffee (pop rock)
  30. Plato III - The Devil Has Texas (hip hop/indie rock)
 
EPs
Madi Diaz - Same History, New Feelings (singer-songwriter/folk)
Joseph Lamar - sin act 1 (naked virgins) (alternative r&b)
GILT - In Windows, Through Mirrors (emo)
Isabella James - Oizys is Birthing Herself (hyperpop)
Stay Inside - Blight (indie rock/emo)
Carpool - For Nasal Use Only (indie rock/emo)
Secret Grief - Bloom (indie rock/emo)
Meare - Invisible Strings (indie rock/emo)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×

Please disable AdBlocker

Okay