Where to buy Vinyl

Hello,

I'm looking for different places to buy vinyl.  I love going to my local record shop but they rarely have what I'm looking for.  I'm OK with buying vinyl from Amazon online if I can find it but what about Discogs?  I'm a little weary because of known scams plus I don't know what else to look for aside from normal things like seller rating, comments and that kind of thing.  I'm sure Discogs will have a lot of what I'm looking for.  Does anyone have any advice or comments?  Anything would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,

Rich

It sort of depends on what you’re after.  I track a lot of new releases, so I’ll often buy directly from labels or bandcamp, or Google around for a shop / distro that offers the best price.

If you’re not into newer bands, then Discogs is the way to go.  I’ve yet to get scammed, personally.  Just avoid prices that seem too good to be true, especially when they come from New Sellers with no feedback or lousy feedback.

All jokes aside...................

Discogs for the most part is OK.  Many years ago it used to be the alternative to ebay.  They had much lower prices and a lot less scammers.  All of that has definitely changed. There are a ton of scammers on Discogs especially during RSD. 

Old accounts have also been hacked over there so if you want something make sure they have some recent feedback. 

Over the past few years I have had more problems with discogs then all of my time on ebay combined. Bad grading and wrong colors happen a lot.  Be wary of "sealed" records especially if you are looking for a specific variant.

Also, what some people have said it all depends on what you listen to.  Check record labels and get on their mailing lists.  Also check out bandcamp.  That is a great place.  Bullmoose and Zia are also good.

You can also check out reddit VinylReleases and VinylDeals.

Edited by vinyl21
Additional Info

On 7/7/2023 at 4:45 PM, ntslash said:

You should buy all your vinyl from SRC. Top-notch customer service, great prices, always ships on time, and you never have to worry about not getting what you ordered. 

I can't create an account at src and their customer service hasn't responded to my requests.

I found a few reputable dealers on Discogs, Amazon seems OK, if they have what I'm looking for.

Artists I have in my collection so far:

U2, Michael Jackson, Mariah Carey, Tom Petty, Poison, Elton John. The Doobie Brothers, Queen, Whitney Houston, Metallica, Janet Jackson and Billy Joel.

Not sure if this is relevant or helpful aat this point but I think I'm on the right track.