The Walking Dead

mcm1610

Yes! That is one of the reasons it bothers me. The show set the standard early on for the characters showing interest in the larger picture. That is one of the primary reasons I feel it is unrealistic to ignore that concept.

I have a feeling that this is something Frank Darabont was interested in, which may explain why it was only explored briefly before he got the boot. The Walking Dead has had a long history of aborted storylines since it's passed off between showrunners, writers, etc. more often than I can count, but this is the biggest issue for me. Establishing communication with others - especially the French; Jenner said they were close to a cure - should be a central theme of this show.

You can only explore "How bad do you have to be to survive?" for so long. Even if the party finds sanctuary again, like the prison, well, then what? Abraham's quest for DC provided the idea of an endgame, even though Eugene turned out to be a fuckin' phoney, but part of the reason the show has been excelling lately is because of that endgame. 

So, I hope that some other goal can be established this season. The over-arching "Oh shit, we have to reunite the group" has gotten old pretty quickly. But I haven't read the comics, so other than a vague understanding of Negan and the Hilltop Community, I don't know what is/could be coming. 

After learning that Eugene's reveal was the same as the comics I was a little disappointed... Honestly I can't wait for the companion series that has all new characters and a brand new story so they don't have to sort of stick with the comics like The Walking Dead does now

Even if it was a lie, Abraham and Co were definitely willing to struggle for the bigger picture while they still believed his story. 

Sort of. Eugene was a liar. Rosita was simply following Abraham rather than the objective. And finally Abraham is an idiot. That was kind of obvious from the beginning. He has no control over his emotions and relies on brute strength instead of intellect to solve most problems. Most of the time it takes someone far younger than him (Like glenn) to baby him and calm him down to prevent Abraham from potentially murdering everyone.  Factoring in Abraham's backstory, it seems he was only chasing this DC pipe dream because it allowed him to live another day. It didn't appear clear to me that anyone in that group truly was interested in the bigger picture at all. I mean ironically Eugene for example tried at every chance to prevent them from finding the bigger picture. Maybe no one in that group was a skeptic, but come on, would YOU believe Eugene? I would have an extremely difficult time chalking up his bullshit answers to him being "different". Abraham does not seem like the type to be skeptical or ever inquire or peer into the truth, so he probably never really got to the bottom of Eugene. Well the show makes it pretty clear. Eugene just makes up some idea that he is the savior of the world and Abraham seems to just believe it right then and there.  (Maybe the show will provide more light as to why Abraham believed him.) There are def. skeptics on the show though: Rick for one.

this is the biggest issue for me. Establishing communication with others - especially the French; Jenner said they were close to a cure - should be a central theme of this show.

You can only explore "How bad do you have to be to survive?" for so long. Even if the party finds sanctuary again, like the prison, well, then what? Abraham's quest for DC provided the idea of an endgame, even though Eugene turned out to be a fuckin' phoney, but part of the reason the show has been excelling lately is because of that endgame. 

So, I hope that some other goal can be established this season. The over-arching "Oh shit, we have to reunite the group" has gotten old pretty quickly. But I haven't read the comics, so other than a vague understanding of Negan and the Hilltop Community, I don't know what is/could be coming. 

This x 1000.

I think some of you are expecting a little too much of a tv show.

Agreed. It should be pretty obvious at this point that the overarching goal of the show is to get you to be emotionally invested in the main characters survival. The show won't go on forever and my guess is that it won't even end with a definitive story arc. Just enjoy the ride.

I'll just never understand why they did this comic-book-hybrid. Sometimes they follow the comic took to a t, and those are hands down the best episodes. Then they have these shitty 8 episodes doing nothing on a farm.

They have the formula for a great TV show, but instead they make an average one.

These posts are seriously ridiculous.

Why? It's an opinion. Isn't that what this thread is for, to share opinions on the show?

I also thought that the only "good" part of the episode was the last 10 minutes. The flashbacks of Carol were just random and unnecessary. Isn't what they showed pretty obvious? Rick sent her away so she found shelter. How many times did we have to hear her and Darryl say "let's start over", "we've changed", or "What happened with the girls was bad. I don't want to talk about it, but I'm going to bring it up again but not actually tell you". Until the last 10 minutes, there was 0 new information/insight into either character or plot progression. You could sum up 50 minutes of that episode with one sentence: "Darryl and Carol followed the car into Atlanta". Personally, I just think the pacing of the episodes started out really good at the beginning of the season, and now, I just don't think it should take full hour long episodes to get to the point. I'm sure it will pay off with the mid-season finally, but it just has me disappointed. I personally had in my mind that Carol did a lot more than just hide out while away from the crew. I also thought that Abraham and Eugene's back story would have more to it than "kill these walkers, I have a very important mission".

Why? It's an opinion. Isn't that what this thread is for, to share opinions on the show?

I also thought that the only "good" part of the episode was the last 10 minutes. The flashbacks of Carol were just random and unnecessary. Isn't what they showed pretty obvious? Rick sent her away so she found shelter. How many times did we have to hear her and Darryl say "let's start over", "we've changed", or "What happened with the girls was bad. I don't want to talk about it, but I'm going to bring it up again but not actually tell you". Until the last 10 minutes, there was 0 new information/insight into either character or plot progression. You could sum up 50 minutes of that episode with one sentence: "Darryl and Carol followed the car into Atlanta". Personally, I just think the pacing of the episodes started out really good at the beginning of the season, and now, I just don't think it should take full hour long episodes to get to the point. I'm sure it will pay off with the mid-season finally, but it just has me disappointed. I personally had in my mind that Carol did a lot more than just hide out while away from the crew. I also thought that Abraham and Eugene's back story would have more to it than "kill these walkers, I have a very important mission".

THIS TIMES A MILLION.

YUP THIS.

just had a conversation almost exactly like this with a lady i work with.

In my opinion The Walking Dead should stop trying to be good television and just worry about being exciting television.

You've got a great core group, stop making me pretend to care about Big Red, Commando Barbie and Cargo Mullet. I don't. Shit, I don't even care about Beth and she has been around from the beginning.

Let's trim about 7 characters and start heading North please.

In my opinion The Walking Dead should stop trying to be good television and just worry about being exciting television.

You've got a great core group, stop making me pretend to care about Big Red, Commando Barbie and Cargo Mullet. I don't. Shit, I don't even care about Beth and she has been around from the beginning.

Let's trim about 7 characters and start heading North please.

Yes, please.

I am a firm believer that this show changed when breaking bad debuted on AMC. I strongly believe that Walking Dead tried (and failed) to compete with the viewing market of Breaking Bad. As soon as Breaking Bad began becoming successful, Walking Dead added more and more drama to the show, while removing elements that made the show unique. But unlike Breaking Bad, Walking Dead's drama lacked substance, plot relevance or even intrigue. Walking Dead would be better off if it kept marketing itself as a unique show that does not have any interest in conforming to modern day standards or practices of other television shows. Isnt that the entire point of this show anyway? To be the first Zombie epic television program? Because lately im confused, it feels more like the first never ending survival soap opera that occasionally features zombies that slightly annoy the remaining humans.

The first season of Walking Dead is the best. It has all of the elements of a good B zombie film. Cheesy humor, creative moments, interesting characters, unique zombie violence etc. The first season also challanged viewing audiences. Remember when the zombies ate the horse?! I was at the edge of my seat. Remember when the shot the little zombie girl in the face and showed everything? Epic. As the show progressed it lost most of these elements in favor of "a good television show." So now I am stuck with a show that has needless drama, repetitive and redundant plot lines, boring characters, cheesy music, boring zombie action, unrealistic character behavior, and above all forced emotions. I dont give a shit if beth lives or dies, in fact if she never showed up again on the walking dead I would not even remember to miss her. But Herschel on the other hand was killed without style or any sense of emotional buildup. 

The flashbacks...were just random and unnecessary. Isn't what they showed pretty obvious?How many times did we have to hear her and Darryl say "let's start over", "we've changed", or "What happened with the girls was bad. I don't want to talk about it, but I'm going to bring it up again but not actually tell you". Until the last 10 minutes, there was 0 new information/insight into either character or plot progression. You could sum up 50 minutes of that episode with one sentence: "Darryl and Carol followed the car into Atlanta".

This is a perfect example of how the show portrays characters unrealistically. No just no. This would not happen. When watching this I actually wondered, "Is this really the best that the writers of this show had to offer us?" There is so much more they could have done with this episode. You almost feel like they are running out of ideas.

Breaking Bad was on air almost 3 years before The Walking Dead started.

I stand corrected. You are right, but I still believe my theory is correct. I should not have used the word "debut" it diverts the focus from my intention. What I meant was Breaking Bad's steady rate of successful writing affected the writers of Walking Dead. Surely you can see the change in the style of writing of the walking dead from the first season to now? It is quite obvious.

This is 100% EXACTLY how I feel. Literally word for word. The only redeeming quality was what happened to Carol was different than I thought.

But again, we knew how the episode was going to end two weeks ago when Carol showed up in the hospital, so there was no "I have no clue how this episode will end" feeling while watching this.

But now we also know what the midseason finale will be about. And next week will probably be just more filler leading up to it.