Thrice - Major Minor PO

I'm pleased with the price, Beggars was $17.99  this is $20.  What do you guys think?  Better than the Pylon Records prices for Vheissu and The Artist in the Ambulance (even though they are very nice pressings)

Workhorse/Staple is associated with Vagrant, so it's like they're putting out their own records, Pylon has to license them from Island Records, so there is a fee.  I'm sure that contributes to the price although I don't know how much.

I noticed this is listed as "Yellow Amber." By the name of it, it sounds like it would look EXACTLY like the yellow/gold vheissu repress. I really hope that's not the case.

Not complaining about a RP of this, though. I couldn't track down a copy for a decent price at all until this.

My email asking about Alchemy index:

Hi Ben,

Thanks for checking in here and for your support of Thrice.

I'm afraid this is one LP set that will not be re-pressed. We feel it's such a special piece that paring it down would cheapen it.
Very sorry. Hopefully the other LP re-presses will suffice.

Thanks again!

My response:

Fans appreciate what we already have, for sure. And I respectfully disagree with the alchemy index being cheapened. The set is, and would still be highly sought after. You could offer a pre order only, much like Cake did with their sought after box set. All parties win in that case. Just throw the topic on any vinyl forum and the feedback will speak for itself.

___

So yes, I'd gladly get involved with a petition to get that repressed.

cleardot.gif

Hi Ben,

I'm afraid this is one LP set that will not be re-pressed. We feel it's such a special piece that paring it down would cheapen it.

Thanks again!

My response:

Fans appreciate what we already have, for sure. And I respectfully disagree with the alchemy index being cheapened. The set is, and would still be highly sought after. You could offer a pre order only, much like Cake did with their sought after box set. All parties win in that case. Just throw the topic on any vinyl forum and the feedback will speak for itself.

___

cleardot.gif

sucks balls

I'm hoping cooler heads prevail, but they release any variation or redo the box set, or anything and I'm buying it. It was an awesome concept, and those songs actually got me into Thrice. Releasing the box set again creates interest in the band, and gives the fans who missed out originally, a chance to own something that means a lot to them.

Hi Ben,

Thanks again!

My response:

___

cleardot.gif

Actually, I completely agree with his email response. It would be like asking Mondo to repress more of anything they once claimed to be limited. 

It might just be me but I think the 10"s sound kinda shitty. Like compressed or fuzzy. I dont know. I just know that for some reason I have never been able to sit through listening to the whole thing on vinyl. a 2xLP set would be great, especially if they could pull off the thing that waxwork did with rosemarys baby and have each side of the LPs be a different color.

Actually, I completely agree with his email response. It would be like asking Mondo to repress more of anything they once claimed to be limited. 

Actually it would be like... any label ever re-pressing something that was said to be limited... It happens all the time.

If it's a 2x12" instead of the 4x10" that was already pressed, it's a different pressing, so the 4x10" is still limited to whatever they pressed it at.

Even if it were a 4x10" it would still be a different pressing and therefor more of less desirable based on its quality compared to the original.

Actually it would be like... any label ever re-pressing something that was said to be limited... It happens all the time.

If it's a 2x12" instead of the 4x10" that was already pressed, it's a different pressing, so the 4x10" is still limited to whatever they pressed it at.

Even if it were a 4x10" it would still be a different pressing and therefor more of less desirable based on its quality compared to the original.

The four discs in four different colors with four different themes (both in music and design) housed in a bound book... anything less than an exact repress would be the compromise of a perfectly executed (besides the botched brown disc) artistic vision. And even then, an exact repress would devalue the OG 4x10, so I can see why Vagrant would be staunch in standing pat. If I were Thrice or Vagrant, I'd probably do the same. 

Exactly. They could still do something nice with a 2 or even 3xLP gatefold even if it all was on black and you still would see ravid thrice collectors shelling out money for the bound book and 10" edition. Considering they are numbered and unique to the elements and set I don't see why a highly in demand repress would hurt or effect anything. If anything, I agree as someone previously said it would only get people back into their catalogue. It's definitely one of their best releases IMO. I think the 10" set sounds great but if they ever considered a 12" repress I would buy it in a heartbeat.

The four discs in four different colors with four different themes (both in music and design) housed in a bound book... anything less than an exact repress would be the compromise of a perfectly executed (besides the botched brown disc) artistic vision. And even then, an exact repress would devalue the OG 4x10, so I can see why Vagrant would be staunch in standing pat. If I were Thrice or Vagrant, I'd probably do the same.

I'm guessing you have one?