What books are you reading?

Man in the High Castle

Ubik

A Scanner Darkly

VALIS

These might be his most popular, but they're the ones I have read (and remember reading) and I enjoyed them all.

You need to be in the right mood for VALIS, in my opinion. but it was one of my favorites.  It's particularly heavy on the theology and philosophy side of things.

I actually minored in philosophy w/ an emphasis on existentialism and metaphysics, so it's probably up my alley. I've been meaning to read his stuff for a while, because I always see his name come up--finally getting around to it. also really want to read the foundation trilogy by Isaac Asimov.

Ubik

Man in the High Castle

Man in the High Castle

Ubik

A Scanner Darkly

VALIS

Ubik fucked me up for a few days

I haven't read A Scanner Darkly or VALIS myself (yet), but Ubik and The Man In The High Castle are brilliant.  Ubik is probably my favourite book of all time.  The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch is also amazing.  His short stories are a lot of fun too (and the basis of countless movies).

also really want to read the foundation trilogy by Isaac Asimov.

That series contain the single best plot twist I've encountered in any medium, get on it!  Asimov is on the dry side, but it is a very solid trilogy.

Sorry to go back to PKD but I recently read "Cry My Tears, The Policeman Said" and thought it was great.

I have had "Foundations Trilogy" sitting on my shelf a while but keep putting if off because I like weirdness or humor over straight space stories. Maybe I could read something else on the side to fill those needs. Anyone else do this, switch between a few books depending on mood? Works great for not getting burned out on the same story and keeping me reading.

I've been on a reading kick.  Heres my latest amazon haul hopefully I'll tear through it in the next couple months.

The Economics of Rising Inequalities by Daniel Cohen, Thomas Piketty and Gilles Saint Paul

Why There is No God - Armin Navabi

Free Will - Sam Harris

Waking Up - Sam Harris

Capital in the Twenty First Century - Thomas Piketty

Religion Explained - Pascal Boyer

Hope After Faith - An Ex-Pastors Journey From Belief to Atheism - Jerry DeWitt

Why I Became and Atheist - A Former Preacher Rejects Christianity - John Loftus

Looking to pick up a few books on astrophysics or philosophy to mix it up a bit.

Sorry to go back to PKD but I recently read "Cry My Tears, The Policeman Said" and thought it was great.

I have had "Foundations Trilogy" sitting on my shelf a while but keep putting if off because I like weirdness or humor over straight space stories. Maybe I could read something else on the side to fill those needs. Anyone else do this, switch between a few books depending on mood? Works great for not getting burned out on the same story and keeping me reading.

I haven't read that one yet either, though I understand that it is particularly compelling.

Re:  The Foundation Trilogy... it's far from a 'straight space story'.  Asimov is dry, but very philosophical, and he really comes out swinging in that regard in the Foundation books, it's his idea of how 'humanity' will progress, evolve, and transform.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...