Welcome to the New Vinyl Collective Forum!

We apologize for all the chaos over the last few days (See below for promised details/explanation). Regardless of the chaotic way this went down we are excited to bring the forum to a new home that will allow us to grow and expand the forum in a positive way.

What You Need to Know About the Move!

Resetting Your Password

1.) You Must reset your passwords! To do so please hit the "Sign In" button on the top right hand corner. Below the password box is a "Reset Your Password" Link. Click it and follow the directions.

2.) Although we do not anticipate any issues if you one does arise and you are not able to easily reset your password email us at [email protected]

I will be managing this email closely for the next week to quickly fix any issues if they arise

3.) If you no longer have access to the email used to set up your VC account, do not fear! We considered this. Just email [email protected] and we will manually set you up with your original user name.

4.) If you have signed up in the last month but proboards "Suspended" your account and we were not able to get you the original user name you wanted, email us [email protected]

5.) If you have signed up a VC account AFTER TUESDAY MAY 29th - 5 pm EST try resetting your password. If that does not work, you must sign up again.

About The Move

1.) Your Private Messages have NOT been moved over to the new boards. We are leaving accounts activated on the proboards forum for a period of 48 hours (Ends Tuesday at 6 pm EST) to allow you to access and save that data.

UPDATE: See this very nicely laid out explanation on how to back up your messages!

2.) Avatars and signatures have NOT been moved over to the new boards. We are leaving accounts activated on the proboards forum for a period of 48 hours (Ends Tuesday at 6 pm EST) to allow you to access and save that data.

3.) To the best of our knowledge all threads posted BEFORE Tuesday May 29th at 5 pm EST have been successfully moved over to the new boards. Any threads created after this time, including the temporary section have not been moved over.

New Rules and Guidelines

We are compiling a list of new rules and guidelines based on the feedback received by the community which will be posted today - Sunday June 3rd! Stay tuned for details.

New Features!

The new boards offer a variety of new features that both benefit us as forum moderators and administrators, and even more the members. We are excited to be able to offer VC a place to grow and develop our vinyl collecting community. Although I will be starting a new thread dedicated to listing the new features as well as assisting the members with getting acquainted with them, here is a sneak peek:

Members:

- Enhanced Text Editor

- Full content search (Yes you can now search for relevant threads!!!)

- Share content to Facebook and Twitter

- Single Sign In with Twitter and Facebook

- Recent Topic Panel

- Mobile site (no app needed!)

- Mobile Phone App available for $1.99

- Enhanced Profile fields and customization

- Block other members (if someone annoys you, you no longer have to view their posts!!)

- User rating system

Moderation

- Can issue detailed suspensions before banning.

- Can limit suspended user access

- Limit new users access until they have reached a certain post level

- And other cool/nerdy stuff members probably wont really be concerned with!

Miscellaneous

Thank you everyone for being patient with us over the last few days. We really appreciate it and assure you that even though it should not have happened the way it did, it is worth it!

When SRC acquired the board as a partner with MTS/AFS our plan was to expand and grow the forums abilities as well as develop www.vinylcollective.com as a news site. There were a few issues with the partnership that of course slowed down that process. In March of this year we worked something out with MTS/AFS to gain full control. Since then we have been working on planning and creating a lot of what you will see over the next few months.

Although we feel proboards is one of many great places to start a forum and has been a great home to VC for many years, we weren't sure it was for us.

One of our biggest issues is with the terms of service section 21 B) YOUR RESPONSIBILITY FOR LOSS OR DAMAGE; BACKUP OF DATA

YOU AGREE THAT YOUR USE OF THE WEBSITE AND SERVICES IS AT YOUR SOLE RISK. YOU WILL NOT HOLD PROBOARDS OR ITS LICENSORS AND SUPPLIERS, AS APPLICABLE, RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY LOSS OR DAMAGE THAT RESULTS FROM YOUR ACCESS TO OR USE OF THE WEBSITE, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION ANY LOSS OR DAMAGE TO ANY OF YOUR COMPUTERS OR DATA. THE INFORMATION AND SERVICES MAY CONTAIN BUGS, ERRORS, PROBLEMS OR OTHER LIMITATIONS.

IMPORTANTLY, YOU HEREBY ACKNOWLEDGE THAT A CATASTROPHIC DISK FAILURE OR OTHER EVENT COULD RESULT IN THE LOSS OF ALL OF THE DATA RELATED TO YOUR ACCOUNT. YOU AGREE AND UNDERSTAND THAT IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO BACKUP YOUR DATA TO YOUR PERSONAL COMPUTER OR EXTERNAL STORAGE DEVICE AND TO ENSURE SUCH BACKUPS ARE SECURE.

When we first acquired the site from Virgil our first goal was to create a back up of this data for obvious reasons. We do not own any web content that is not backed up at VERY minimum once a month. In 2011 VC had over 4 years of data that we of course wanted to be sure was safe and backed up SOMEWHERE!!! Even if it was just once a month.

So I had contacted proboards to work out a way to back up the data. The representative told me that Proboards does not provide a way to back up your data. The guy essentially told me that they wont assist with back ups because we can than use it to move the forums to another provider. I also had a few of our tech guys call proboards to do the same request (since they know more about that stuff and the lingo of how to make it actually happen) and they got similar answers. So essentially we are responsible for a back up but they wont grant you a way to do that without violating their TOS because they do not want you to take your data elsewhere.

After several months of investigating a way to get this back up we finally found someone to do it. On Tuesday May 29th we did this. Although we had been considering moving, we did NOT intend at this point to move the forums. We just wanted to finally have that back up we are responsible to have according to TOS 21 b.)

On Thursday morning I woke up to find emails from many people telling me VC had been suspended. That is also when I got the email from Proboards. The proboards email essentially asked me if we were attempting to use a converter tool to move from proboards or if we were trying to get a back up of data. There was no mention of a possible suspension. It just said if we were attempting to get a back up to talk to them. If we were looking at moving off proboards and using a converter tool that was prohibited and to let them know what we were doing. Regardless, the site had already been suspended before we even had an opportunity to talk to Proboards.

The email then proceeded to ask if we are looking to leave proboards to call Patrick and reconsider. At this point we were just looking to do a back up and I would have gladly talked to proboards if the suspension didn't happen before I even got that email.

Where I was confused (and still am) and didn't understand the technical side is how is backing up my data, which I am required to, is considered using a bot against myself? Or whatever I am accused of. The bot stuff is what confuses me. All I know is that the terms of service clearly outlines we are responsible for our own back up. I have asked proboards myself and heard myself them tell me they do not actually assist or allow it in fear you will use this back up to move.

I did talk to Patrick via email later that day and the ‘new’ explanation I received from them is they do not allow it because it creates stress on their servers. I understand how that can be an issue but at the same time they cannot issue a rule then not allow you in any way do what that rule says! We did attempt to talk to them several times to find a way to do a back up that would please them but the answer we all received from whomever answers phones at proboards is there is no way.

So on Thursday morning we all got together and decided to go ahead and make the move with the data we backed up on Tuesday night. This is why it has taken so long. Although we were not prepared to do this our designer, server admin, coder and Danny all agreed they could make it happen ASAP! It was actually ready on Friday morning but there was a small glitch and all of Juan’s data was not tagged to his user ID. Considering Juan is our moderator and #Juan poster, we were not settling with that.

So that is the story. All in all we really have nothing against Proboards and do highly recommend it to those who do not expect their forum to grow as much as VC did, who do not care if they can back up their data and who do not plan on moving off proboards one day. We really appreciate the fact that they were a home to VC for several years and are a bit sad how it all ended.

very cool...but change that sky blue font!!! ...its killin my eyes

I have already complained about this and it will be changed. Like I mention in my super long essay post this was a bit rushed due to circumstances. They will be tweaking little things like this over the next week.

I'm going to miss getting smited.

No, it's still there, just different.

See? I voted your post down, you now have a lower reputation ;)

EDIT: Oh,and you can rate people too!

EDIT2: The new karma system is kick ass, you can see what post and what user caused what rating. No more blind smiting :P

loving the new forum. this is the same style forum i visit for VCU basketball.

my only gripe, which I think a mod or jenna might be able to help me out with is that i can't change my display name. it says i have to post 607 more times in order to do so. i've been posting as malonekw at VC and was wondering if i could get that changed to malonekw either manually or have that setting switched. thanks