Boston Marathon Explosions

The amount of conspiracy theories already popping up is mind numbing. Any conspiracies on the people that died and what happened to them?

Makes me think about the Loose Change 9/11 conspiracy theory. My favorite part of that was when the Flight 93 people supposedly had their voices warped and faked by government robots in their last calls to loved ones. Then Flight 93 supposedly landed in Cleveland where the people were taken off the plane and exterminated. Nice one.

• 2 months later...

It's definitely real.

I don't see a huge problem with it. Same picture was used on the front of NYT. I don't think they are trying to 'glamorize' him at all. This is what a terrorist looks like - not a strange gnarled human, just someone you might see everyday. Might be a little tasteless, and it's clearly not music-related, but Rolling Stone does some really great journalism (especially compared to other news sources), and I am excited to read the story they present.

boston media members are flipping out. twitter reactions are harsh- lots of people canceling subscriptions, or at least urging others to do so.

i plan to cover it up at any magazine rack i come across.

it’s like they're making him a sexual icon or something. isn’t that a photo taken from one of his social media accounts? he took it himself and posted it because he thought he looked good in it. and now it’s on the cover of rolling stone. I’m sure the article will be very well done but that cover is messed up.

It's definitely real.

I don't see a huge problem with it. Same picture was used on the front of NYT. I don't think they are trying to 'glamorize' him at all. This is what a terrorist looks like - not a strange gnarled human, just someone you might see everyday. Might be a little tasteless, and it's clearly not music-related, but Rolling Stone does some really great journalism (especially compared to other news sources), and I am excited to read the story they present.

I see this as maybe being their objective. It's like the photo has a subjective meaning, terrorists look like anybody else. Even a friendly innocent kid can do some crazy shit. But I think most Americans, including myself do not think that at first glance. At first glance its like, fuck Rolling Stone. 

I'm shocked that people are offended by things like this in 2013... the cover says "The Bomber", not "Look who's single!" or "Everyone loves a rebel!" with hearts flying in from the background

anyhoo, I'm sorry that not all terrorists / bad guys look evil.  maybe RS will release a variant cover where they've used markers to make him look like a cross between hitler and the devil, and then they can draw a beard on him to make sure you know he's an islamic terrorist, not a sex symbol

I'm shocked that people are offended by things like this in 2013... the cover says "The Bomber", not "Look who's single!" or "Everyone loves a rebel!" with hearts flying in from the background

anyhoo, I'm sorry that not all terrorists / bad guys look evil.  maybe RS will release a variant cover where they've used markers to make him look like a cross between hitler and the devil, and then they can draw a beard on him to make sure you know he's an islamic terrorist, not a sex symbol

I get what you're saying... but look at his expression, he's making a seductive face. That's gotta be unsettling as hell for a lot of people.

I get what you're saying... but look at his expression, he's making a seductive face. That's gotta be unsettling as hell for a lot of people.

but is it more unsettling than a picture of the aftermath of the bombing?  all this is doing is humanizing a guy who everyone wants to dehumanize

that being said, RS is clearly trying to be provocative in an effort to stir up magazine sales, and, despite some people throwing a hissy fit, I'm sure it will work.  not the first time someone used ~controversy to get attention, won't be the last, and at least RS had the sense to write "The Bomber" and "Monster" right there on the cover rather than leaving their opinions vague, enticing you to read the whole article to find out what they think of him

i'm really curious to read the article. we still know very little. i'm curious about his defense. all i know, in the end, is he was lying in a boat, bloodied and they kept hitting him with rubber bullets and explosives until he was so injured he couldn't speak. he wasn't even armed.

I thought all his injuries were sustained in the previous firefight. I don't think they shot at him in the boat. The were prepared to use flashbangs but didn't. I listened to it live but no one has really stacked up those details afterwards into a story that I have seen.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.