Will singles ever be popular again?

Guest crazybeats

Guest crazybeats

I couldn't believe when I searched Eminem on here and found people were surprised that Eminem had anything on vinyl, i have shelves full of Eminem vinyl dating back to 1997 through 2010. Infact being a fan of hip hop, up until early 2008, rarely did an EP, single, promo track not get a release on vinyl whether whether in retail or promo. Infact I loved buying 12" singles, promos every few weeks, retail 12"s with different tracklists. Wondering and hoping if there would be  a B-side, if there was gonna be instrumentals and acapella versions included, radio edits or clean edits different from the album tracks. I loved it. In the UK several shops either stopped stocking CD singles or cut back on them hugely which I guess was a sign of the times, no one was really buying CD singles and I guess vinyl singles suffered. DJs moved to MP3s so by early 2009 those promos and singles all but stopped.

I'd love to see them make  a return though because I love popular music. Now it's all albums that everyone focuses on but sometimes it's nice to just have songs that you like, at a cheap price and you can listen to for a little while until the next song comes along.

And I'm thrilled that vinyl sales are bigger than ever and so many labels are supporting the medium now but if I'm being honest I'd kind of like to go back to 2001-2007 when vinyl sales were at an all time low because at least then you could get what you wanted on vinyl. And i'm not some old person talking about the good old days, i'm only talking about less than 10 years ago. You could walk into record stores and get lots of new 7" singles and 12" singles, imports, bootlegs, albums. Now record sales are higher than ever but when you walk into a record store all you have is a bunch of albums and second hand singles although I do like second hand singles now, they are a reminder of when buying music on vinyl really was good. I hope one day people get tired of internet downloading and mp3s and go back to physical singles.

Guest crazybeats

It didn't use to be like that. In 2007 here in the UK it was £3.99 for 12" and between £1.99 and £3.99 on a 7" depending if it was picture disc or regular and promos were dirt cheap on Ebay, just a few dollars or £s infact I'll go even more recent for you.

In 2009 and 2010, I don't know what the cause was or why it was done or who was behind it all but in the UK there was loads of picture discs being released on 7" format. Bands like McFly, The Killers, Madonna, Lady Gaga and they were all £1.99. HMV did them for £1.99 and if you got them online it was free delivery. So that is even more recent and they were all hand numbered. I think they did quite a few thousand of each release, now you can buy most of them new for £4,£5,£10 even for the rarer ones but at the time of release and these were all chart singles, they were songs on the radio, they were being sold for £1.99. How much profit is in that? Who knows! So again I'm not talking about the good old days of music, I'm talking 3 years ago and I'm not the only one.

I remember when Lady Gaga's Born This Way album came out,a lot of her fans complained because the Born This Way single was a record store day exclusive, then it turned it was being mass produced in Europe anyway so it wasn't that rare but the following few singles didn't have any release scheduled. Then they did release a few. HMV, who were selling them for £1.99 for the previous few years were now selling them at £8.99. Then you have other artists like Lana Del Rey and the fans collect the 7" picture discs and they are the same price. I blamed the retailers for trying to cash in on this big record revolution and trying to make more money off of people but i started to notice some regular 7" singles being sold at £1.99 and £3.99 and then I started thinking that maybe it isn't the retailer at fault, maybe it's the label and their distributors. Amazon had the same high prices, independant record stores had high prices. And 2011 is really when sales started to rise rapidly. I think it was about that time that labels like Mercury said that they were not going to release vinyl singles anymore unless it was a release they knew they could make their money back on so maybe I'm wishing for something that will never happen again. If they can't make a profit on them then there is no point to doing it. And the reason I mentioned the picture discs being sold at £1.99 is HMV and Amazon weren't selling them at that price just for the hell of it, they must have been making some profit on them and there was loads of releases even to this day I'm coming across singles from 2009/2010 that I never even knew was released

Judging by this board Cassingles will be making a huge comeback in 2014. If you don't know what that is look it up. The only one I've held onto is my Jesus Lizard/Nirvana split and Skid Row "Youth Gone Wild". Seriously, kids on here are dying for Cassingles. 

1375134955_63eaba4fa0.jpg

Man i wore that Skid Row cassingle out back in the day.

Guest crazybeats

Between 2000 and 2010 he sold over 80 million records. What a lot of people don't know is that his 2010 Recovery album sold over 5 million copies world wide to date. His 1999 Slim Shady at 9 million currently and that doesn't include the sales of singles from both those albums. What people also don't know is that those record sales from 2000-2010 DO NOT include the 2001 D12 album or 2004 D12 album and do not include the sales of the 2002 8 Mile soundtrack. If you were to add up the sales of his Slim Shady LP, Recovery album, singles sales from those albums and the sales from the D12/8 Mile soundtrack it totals to well over 100 million. He was Artist of the Decade but of course he's not female so it wasn't really publicised.

It really puts things in perspective. It's like this stuff you hear about Katy Perry and Roar and Lady Gaga going head to head. Eminem announces a new album on the Sunday, drops the single on Tuesday, it goes to number 1 for 2 days straight and no one talks about it lol. It's like if we don't talk about it then it doesn't exist, then his release date is the week after Lady Gaga, both of them are on Interscope. Eminem's 2010 album sold over 700,000 copies in America alone it's first week. The album leaked online 2 weeks prior, he never pushed the release date up. The album still sold a massive number but I'm interested to see how the charts go this time round and see how people spend their money. We're not talking about Madonna or The Rolling Stones or AC/DC or someone who's been around 20,30 years. This is a guy that in 14 years has sold over 100 million singles and albums and released nothing from 2005-2009. Most of those sales were at record shops, in the high street, people paying money to a real person, not sitting on a computer dreamover.

Do your research before you say someone sucks in future. I'm all for the Katy Perry's and the Justin Bieber's of the world but they cannot do what this man has done. It cannot be done again. Over 100 million sales cannot be done in such a short space of time. He was artist of the decade. He beat the Madonnas and Britney Spears and Christina Aguileras and U2s. They could not sell the number he sold in 10 years. They weren't good enough to do it. They could not beat the GOAT.

Guest crazybeats

Why don't you get some pride. Go and phone Universal Music distribution and see if they can get you a deal on his new album in November. Make it the homepage of Dreamoverrecords.com. Give people a link to buy it on LP and CD. You wont be able to keep up with the demand come November.

Why don't you get some pride. Go and phone Universal Music distribution and see if they can get you a deal on his new album in November. Make it the homepage of Dreamoverrecords.com. Give people a link to buy it on LP and CD. You wont be able to keep up with the demand come November.

yes, i plan on calling a multi b(m)illion dollar company..they will totally listen.

Judging by this board Cassingles will be making a huge comeback in 2014. If you don't know what that is look it up. The only one I've held onto is my Jesus Lizard/Nirvana split and Skid Row "Youth Gone Wild". Seriously, kids on here are dying for Cassingles.

1375134955_63eaba4fa0.jpg

I have Skee-Lo's seminal masterpiece "I Wish" on cassingle. Your move Dave, your move.

Between 2000 and 2010 he sold over 80 million records. What a lot of people don't know is that his 2010 Recovery album sold over 5 million copies world wide to date. His 1999 Slim Shady at 9 million currently and that doesn't include the sales of singles from both those albums. What people also don't know is that those record sales from 2000-2010 DO NOT include the 2001 D12 album or 2004 D12 album and do not include the sales of the 2002 8 Mile soundtrack. If you were to add up the sales of his Slim Shady LP, Recovery album, singles sales from those albums and the sales from the D12/8 Mile soundtrack it totals to well over 100 million. He was Artist of the Decade but of course he's not female so it wasn't really publicised.

It really puts things in perspective. It's like this stuff you hear about Katy Perry and Roar and Lady Gaga going head to head. Eminem announces a new album on the Sunday, drops the single on Tuesday, it goes to number 1 for 2 days straight and no one talks about it lol. It's like if we don't talk about it then it doesn't exist, then his release date is the week after Lady Gaga, both of them are on Interscope. Eminem's 2010 album sold over 700,000 copies in America alone it's first week. The album leaked online 2 weeks prior, he never pushed the release date up. The album still sold a massive number but I'm interested to see how the charts go this time round and see how people spend their money. We're not talking about Madonna or The Rolling Stones or AC/DC or someone who's been around 20,30 years. This is a guy that in 14 years has sold over 100 million singles and albums and released nothing from 2005-2009. Most of those sales were at record shops, in the high street, people paying money to a real person, not sitting on a computer dreamover.

Do your research before you say someone sucks in future. I'm all for the Katy Perry's and the Justin Bieber's of the world but they cannot do what this man has done. It cannot be done again. Over 100 million sales cannot be done in such a short space of time. He was artist of the decade. He beat the Madonnas and Britney Spears and Christina Aguileras and U2s. They could not sell the number he sold in 10 years. They weren't good enough to do it. They could not beat the GOAT.

Too bad his new single is garbage, but because the album will sell a lot you won't care lol

You and the Korn thread guy should get together and go bowling. Can you tell us more about this Eminem and his new album?

Guest crazybeats

I will care, it's a shame that i need to buy the single on bootleg vinyl out of Germany since i don't see anything official in the works apart from Itunes. I just hope Rick Rubin hasn't ruined this album. Hopefully he's maybe just done this one song and that is it and then Dr Dre and Eminem have done the rest themselves.

Guest crazybeats

They were cheap to buy so presumably cheap to make, labels sent plenty out every month for free to DJs and reviewers and up until 2010 they were being sold pretty cheap. Now the ones that you can buy are expensive.