2014 is gonna be a trainwreck in domestic vinyl pressing

flood

well there is some plants who output substandard stuff... but alot of it resides on the fact that there isn't a ton of people who know their ass from a hole in the ground when it comes to doing the mastering work/lacquer cutting. Also theres the issue of keeping as much of our supply chain being sourced in north america for economic reasons. Rainbo seems to be outputting the best quality presses in the US from my personal experience.

this post seems a little dramatic, no?

not really, when did our first vinyl release in '05 it was about a month turnaround time total... now we're at 4-5.  and just wait till early spring when RSD stuff is pounding the plants.. you're gonna see even longer turn times, and more pre-orders becoming nightmares

not really, when did our first vinyl release in '05 it was about a month turnaround time total... now we're at 4-5.  and just wait till early spring when RSD stuff is pounding the plants.. you're gonna see even longer turn times, and more pre-orders becoming nightmares

Here's an idea, dont do pre-orders till you have the shit in your hands.

Here's an idea, dont do pre-orders till you have the shit in your hands.

You're missing the point of pre-orders. Shit is expensive to fully fund for most small labels without pre-order help. If you don't like it then don't pre-order anything.

I remember the good ol' days when everyone and their brother/sister didn't give a shit about records.  I got so much rad stuff for cheap and PO's were short to nonexistent.  Sigh....I miss those days, though my collection is worth a ton now that so many folks care, so there's that :)

I remember the good ol' days when everyone and their brother/sister didn't give a shit about records.  I got so much rad stuff for cheap and PO's were short to nonexistent.  Sigh....I miss those days, though my collection is worth a ton now that so many folks care, so there's that :)

I wish I would have started collecting face to face when I was a teenager frequenting their shows.  I would have been able to pick up the records I am searching for now a hell of a lot cheaper and easier.

well there is some plants who output substandard stuff... but alot of it resides on the fact that there isn't a ton of people who know their ass from a hole in the ground when it comes to doing the mastering work/lacquer cutting. Also theres the issue of keeping as much of our supply chain being sourced in north america for economic reasons. Rainbo seems to be outputting the best quality presses in the US from my personal experience.

Gotta Groove gets my vote.

You're missing the point of pre-orders. Shit is expensive to fully fund for most small labels without pre-order help. If you don't like it then don't pre-order anything.

If you cant afford to press it, dont press it. It is a slap in the face of the consumer when you take their money months in advance, dont tell them anything when it gets delayed/you havent finished the layout/havent approved the inserts/etc etc, not to mention not putting it out at all and just keeping the money.

As a consumer, it is not my job to keep your business afloat, that is your job, and one of the risks of being a small label is that you may lose money on some releases.