Post Your Record Storage Area

I hope you get laid sometime this decade in-between shifts at McDonald's and Magic The Gathering tournaments so you can discontinue being such a little prick. I'm rooting for you little buddy! :)

You have tons of records, yet you have a shit playback system and ignore all audio physics. You either have shit for hearing or don't care what it sounds like. Either way, my statement was genuine. I was glad you were enjoying your setup and I hope you continue to do so.

You have tons of records, yet you have a shit playback system and ignore all audio physics. You either have shit for hearing or don't care what it sounds like. Either way, my statement was genuine. I was glad you were enjoying your setup and I hope you continue to do so.

I'm not sure you could have been more condescending if you tried.

Nope he totally did it^

I think your comments reads as harsh/elitist.

Can you tell his set-up is "shit" just from the picture? Can you identify the cartridge or hear the amp? I can't.

Also, does it really make a big difference if speakers are elevated or not? I used to have my speakers on the floor, now I have them in upright 1x5 expedits. I have super-sensitive hearing--I could detect earthquakes 10 seconds before they struck by "hearing" them due to a genetic mutation in my CNTNAP2 allele which resulted in my temporal cortices being cross wired more strongly than the average person. All this and I hear a minimal difference between elevation of speakers or floor speakers. Maybe he's short like me or prefers to sit on the floor like I do.

It comes down to a question of personal taste.

Also, how do you know he spent money on those thousands of LPs. I don't see any variants in the collection which could mean that a lot of it is older, pre-VC era records, maybe inherited or bought for cheap in used bins.

I think your comments reads as harsh/elitist.

Can you tell his set-up is "shit" just from the picture? Can you identify the cartridge or hear the amp? I can't.

Also, does it really make a big difference if speakers are elevated or not? I used to have my speakers on the floor, now I have them in upright 1x5 expedits. I have super-sensitive hearing--I could detect earthquakes 10 seconds before they struck by "hearing" them due to a genetic mutation in my CNTNAP2 allele which resulted in my temporal cortices being cross wired more strongly than the average person. All this and I hear a minimal difference between elevation of speakers or floor speakers. Maybe he's short like me or prefers to sit on the floor like I do.

It comes down to a question of personal taste.

Also, how do you know he spent money on those thousands of LPs. I don't see any variants in the collection which could mean that a lot of it is older, pre-VC era records, maybe inherited or bought for cheap in used bins.

Directionality, reflections, and obstructions can have a dramatic effect on the fine details of sound. There is a school of thought that holds good or perfect speaker placement, including position in the room and relation to the listener, in the highest importance to how good a system sounds or can sound. Moving around in a room can cause changes in the amount of a certain frequency, like more bass in the corner or against the walls. If someone doesn't know about this, or chooses to ignore it for whatever reason, that is up to that person. Either way it is ignorance. And that ignorance can be bliss. If one doesn't worry about it, then they can be happy.

As for his collection, sure he could have obtained it by many means, but he has a very modest (previously referred to as "shit") system to play back his wealth of vinyl. As he said, he loves the way his system sounds, so what he paid for the records is irrelevant as he would have the system that he loves regardless.

As my original response was meant to state, it is subjective, and despite his personal attack on me, I still am happy he is enjoying his listening experience, whether I approve of it or not.

/the internet

I have super-sensitive hearing--I could detect earthquakes 10 seconds before they struck by "hearing" them due to a genetic mutation in my CNTNAP2 allele which resulted in my temporal cortices being cross wired more strongly than the average person. All this and I hear a minimal difference between elevation of speakers or floor speakers. Maybe he's short like me or prefers to sit on the floor like I do.

It has begun.

474283_384027581627704_1123192755_o.jpg

Directionality, reflections, and obstructions can have a dramatic effect on the fine details of sound. There is a school of thought that holds good or perfect speaker placement, including position in the room and relation to the listener, in the highest importance to how good a system sounds or can sound. Moving around in a room can cause changes in the amount of a certain frequency, like more bass in the corner or against the walls. If someone doesn't know about this, or chooses to ignore it for whatever reason, that is up to that person. Either way it is ignorance. And that ignorance can be bliss. If one doesn't worry about it, then they can be happy.

As for his collection, sure he could have obtained it by many means, but he has a very modest (previously referred to as "shit") system to play back his wealth of vinyl. As he said, he loves the way his system sounds, so what he paid for the records is irrelevant as he would have the system that he loves regardless.

As my original response was meant to state, it is subjective, and despite his personal attack on me, I still am happy he is enjoying his listening experience, whether I approve of it or not.

/the internet

Really man? You're in your late 30's and you need to come on a message board to be a prick? Why do you care about his setup at all ... does it keep you up at night knowing that he doesn't have something set to your standard? Thank God you have free time in your day to be a d bag.

Please note, those are questions but I could give two shits to you actually responding. I'd prefer you didn't. Enjoy your day man.

I have hundreds of records, and whilst I have a decent turntable, speakers and amp, spaced far enough apart and on different surfaces to avoid the wrath of the internets, to be honest....

Most of my vinyl playing happens when I have friends over, am cooking or sitting on the balcony. Hardly positioning myself in the sweet spot for optimal sound, nor at the optimal height my ears are positioned in relation to the speakers, but you know what?

The enjoyment I have in listening to and dissecting an LP on the balcony with mates, or singing along with my girl while cooking dinner is much greater than sitting on the couch by myself singing along with the liner notes.

Really man? You're in your late 30's and you need to come on a message board to be a prick? Why do you care about his setup at all ... does it keep you up at night knowing that he doesn't have something set to your standard? Thank God you have free time in your day to be a d bag.

Please note, those are questions but I could give two shits to you actually responding. I'd prefer you didn't. Enjoy your day man.

Well put.  What's funny is this chap seems to know EVERYTHING there is to know about creating the ULTIMATE SOUND!!!!!, has no issues in telling someone their setup sucks in the most arrongant fashion possible, yet fails to offer any pointers as to how someone might make their setup sound better given the equipment and space limitations they have.  

That being said, even if you did provide pointers I wouldn't listen at this point.  You've been less than charming so don't waste your key strokes and time.  I enjoy my set up, I'm not sure where it was construed that I thought it was "shit".  I don't think that at all.  I think it's fantastic and given the insane space limitations I currently have I'm more than happy with the sound.  I conferred with a friend of mine who knows a ton about sound (he records and produces all genres of music) when buying the Klipsch speakers I have and I think they sound great.  While they are not elevated to the key specs most preferred by my ear drums they still manage to give me ear orgasms.  Maybe my ears are just easy, who knows.  However, sometimes when the bass bounces off my couch and hits the wall it doesn't do so in a perfect acoustically sound 45 degree angle and I scold the shit out of it.  I'm all like hey bass!, you're fuckin' with the treble and that ain't right!!! It corrects itself and we resume play.

For those wondering my collection is packed with a ton of 80's through current metal.  There is also a solid mix of 80' through early 2000 rap and hip hop, 60's and 70's classic rock,  blues, funk, and a sprinkle of jazz and old school country.  I don't collect variants.  I used to but I got away from it because I didn't see the point in having 5 of the same record. 

Warmest Regards Possible,

The Smartest Man Alive

/the internet

I think its great that you want to help him.

But your method wasn't so nice. Probably a miscommunication from expectations on how to deal with people on message forums. I give you the benefit of the doubt that in a real-life context, you wouldn't have been so rude.

Maybe I'm being obnoxious, but I believe in calling it out when someone is treated harshly when its not justified.

This is the allele directly linked with Autism and language impairment. It has nothing to do with hearing. Actually most all article discussing this allele all state... "Audiology assessment revealed normal hearing." So.... yeh...

That's half the story, but I think this is more appropriate for a pm. But impressive that you were familiar with it. I'll put it all in context in a pm, the conversation doesn't belong in this thread.

Just spent a ridiculous (and embarrassing) amount of time trying to skim this thread for info I remember seeing here.

I have an Expedit and I try to keep my records loose enough that when I put a one back it doesn't cause the ones around it to be pushed back, but lately it keeps happening (and it bugs the hell out of me that they're not all evenly lined). I think I remember people saying they cut up cardboard to use as a backstop, but I can't figure out how that'd be secure enough to not be pushed out of place. I think there were other methods mentioned too, but for the life of me I can't remember what they were. Any help would be appreciated!

My turn to fan the flames!

I can't believe I just read through three pages of two grown-ass men throwing bad words or whatever around at each other like two kids on a playground, because one of them doesn't like the way that the other enjoys his record collection (I repeat: his record collection).

To quote that one Plan B song: Shut up.

Anyway, to keep this pseudo-relevant, I've been wondering the same thing as janer05 for the past few months. It doesn't bother me too much, but I would like it if my records didn't slide back every single time I took them out or put them back. If you're feeling generous, put something in the tip jar!

I have heard people glue down weatherstripping in the back of the cubes to keep their records flush...not sure if that was posted here or not though.

You could also glue/nail/screw in some wodden stoppers if you are a handy type, though it may be a pain if you have a 5x5 fully loaded.

This was one of the ideas...

Also, for those with Expedits, have you modded the cubes with a stopper? I cut strips of moulding and tacked them in each one so that all of my LPs sit evenly with the face of the unit.

4FC0CA59-2334-45DB-9E2D-CE048B75B397-135

I use baseboard. http://instagram.com/p/Y52YOLSdQp/. I think this is the same as the "moulding" suggestion above.

Cut it about 13 1/8". Baseboard is good because the bottom is pretty thick, it is rigid, and you can buy it in different widths, depending on how far out your unit is from the wall (like if you have baseboard, you can't get the unit flush to the wall). So push 'em all in like this: http://instagram.com/p/Y53JciSdSF/

and then buy baseboard to fill that space. In this case, I think I used 3 inch baseboard for spacers. Remember if you do have baseboards that the bottom shelves will require thiner spacers since the baseboards are out from the wall

And sorry if the two different uses of "baseboard" are confusing.

• jhulud locked this topic