What about the comment that the man with the scars is really tall? I can't think of anyone on the show who is exceptionally tall. Tuttle seemed like a large guy.

Woody is definitely not a tall guy. Google says he is 5'10". The show couldn't really assume he is much taller than that. Maybe some big shoes could give you an inch or two but doesn't the show imply the man with the scars is probably 6'4"+?

Probably my least favorite episode, only because it focused so much on Marty/Rusty personally and did little to really advance the case. Still awesome, though. Liked the ending with the camera zoomed in on the tail light a lot.

I highly doubt that it is Tuttle, but it's not COMPLETELY ludicrous that he is actually still alive and faked his death or something. It's not like we saw a picture of his dead body with a needle hanging out of it.

If you're gonna argue vehemently that Marty isn't the Yellow King then you're not the type of person who should be even bringing up the possibility that Tuttle really isn't dead. ;)

This episode totally confused me. Not that I didn't get what happened or what was going on, but as was previously mentioned- the lack of plot development. For the third to last episode this advanced the overall story very little.. Every other episode has had some nugget of something buried in it that has left me satisfied that there was a purpose to the episode deeper than what was revealed on the surface. This episode resolved a lot of questions but not what felt like important questions. Unless I missed something this one felt very superficial.

This episode totally confused me. Not that I didn't get what happened or what was going on, but as was previously mentioned- the lack of plot development. For the third to last episode this advanced the overall story very little.. Every other episode has had some nugget of something buried in it that has left me satisfied that there was a purpose to the episode deeper than what was revealed on the surface. This episode resolved a lot of questions but not what felt like important questions. Unless I missed something this one felt very superficial.

It depends on what you think the "overall story " is. If you think it's a whodunit, then I understand. But I think it's pretty clear that the creator/writer considers the murders as merely a catalyst for the story of what the crimes do to the people who investigate it - it's not about the Yellow King, it's about Marty and Rust. In that sense, this advances the story of them more than any other episode.

Maybe it's just because I've watched so few shows in recent years, but this show blows my mind to the point it's on my mind constantly. Can anyone recommend other shows in a similar genre that I should be watching/catching up on? Keep in mind I have hulu+, netflix, and directv on demand (all premium channels).

I just watched "The Fall" via netflix - it's Has Skully doing an english accent, how bad could it be? She's an English cop in Belfast, Northern Ireland hunting down a serial killer. Not that it's too similar, but i liked "The Americans". The 2nd season should be starting soon.

It depends on what you think the "overall story " is. If you think it's a whodunit, then I understand. But I think it's pretty clear that the creator/writer considers the murders as merely a catalyst for the story of what the crimes do to the people who investigate it - it's not about the Yellow King, it's about Marty and Rust. In that sense, this advances the story of them more than any other episode.

This.

The plot is taking a deep breath before launching headlong into what I'm sure will be a few intense episodes to wrap it up.  The emotional tension between Rust and Marty has been riffed on the entire show, it's going to be a huge part of plot.  As of the last episode we're now "current" where everything previous has been flashbacks, they basically took six episodes to set the scene, and now will play out the story.

If you're gonna argue vehemently that Marty isn't the Yellow King then you're not the type of person who should be even bringing up the possibility that Tuttle really isn't dead. ;)

I don't get the connection. I don't think Tuttle is alive. I was just pointing out that sometimes in mysteries, it is suspicious when they say a character is dead but don't show anything. It's not a serious prediction though. I don't know if I would agree with vehemently argue that Marty is not the yellow king. I would just say plain old argue. I recognize that he may be it. I just argued that I don't think it is the most likely outcome.

This.

The plot is taking a deep breath before launching headlong into what I'm sure will be a few intense episodes to wrap it up.  The emotional tension between Rust and Marty has been riffed on the entire show, it's going to be a huge part of plot.  As of the last episode we're now "current" where everything previous has been flashbacks, they basically took six episodes to set the scene, and now will play out the story.

Saying "the plot took a deep breadth" is pretty close to admitting it was a snoozer relative to the other episodes. I mean, one of them has to be the worst episode. If it wasn't this, then which?

I just watched "The Fall" via netflix - it's Has Skully doing an english accent, how bad could it be? She's an English cop in Belfast, Northern Ireland hunting down a serial killer. Not that it's too similar, but i liked "The Americans". The 2nd season should be starting soon.

i'm watching this now and really enjoying it. and for what it's worth, Gillian Anderson spent her childhood in the UK

They've really set the bar high for this show.  I'm curious to see how they'll be approaching a second season

I heard the second season will have new characters and a new case/storyline. I suppose that will keep it from getting stale, but these characters have me hooked, even the recurring ones (ahem...Marty's lady friends).

Definitely not looking at this as a "whodunit..." I think this episode, while cathartic in the sense that it resolved a lot of fairly obvious relational plot points it failed in many ways to move the story along in a way representative of there only being two episodes left.

I guess what I'm getting at is that this episode was kind of one dimensional where as the rest of them have had so much going on plot-wise it's hard to walk away feeling like you totally caught everything the writers were throwing at you. Maybe this one felt a little spoon fed to me? There were definitely no, "woah- what the fuck!" moments in this one. I agree with previous posts, in any series there has to be a worst episode and, despite being better than 99.9% of all tv right now, this one was it for me so far.

my theory is that Rust never lost his little girl to a car accident, but in fact by the killer thats out there.  i feel like the killer is playing mind games with him, similar to "the mentalist"  

i think its way too much of a coincidence that the killing that introduced the series happened on his daughters bday.  I think he has become obsessed with tracking the killer, which led him to narcatics and led him to NOLA.  when he heard the killer was still alive then wound up dead in the cell soon after, he realized he had to quit, go rogue, and continue the search for the killer on his own.  

the reason he made tracking the killer his life was because the killer took a part of his life.