Everyone here seems to be very judgmental after 1 episode. I mean, what more were you expecting other than an introduction of characters and a loose background?

It's also amusing to see everyone dogging Vince Vaughn's performance, which I thought was solid. The dude can pull off a serious/villain role but many just wanna pigeonhole him as "the wedding crashers guy".

I liked it. That opening credit song, though. The only moment of the episode that evoked feelings of the first season was the existential rant that the hippy/priest guy goes on. I liked that the first episode was basically, "look at how truly flawed these three cops are. BAM - now they've all stumbled in to the same case." They've definitely set up an interesting world and premise.

My favorite scene was when Frank (Vaughn) is trying to convince his ex-organized crime colleague to buy in to his project and the guy tells him to chill out and hands him his empty glass. Earlier Frank did the same thing to his assistant/lackey after his "never do anything out of hunger" speech which pretty clearly suggests that the guy might have been an authority figure to Frank at some point in his early shady days and is telling him to know his place.

Oh, and...

birdhead.png

I liked it, but it might only because I really wanted it to.  Really didn't expect anything else from the first episode, but it was all over the place.

Also, buzzfeed nailed it with this "23 questions"

http://www.buzzfeed.com/sarahburton/questions-i-have-after-watching-true-detective-s2e1?utm_term=.rxPOE16Nl&fb_ref=click_share#.gdv1bKlDl9

Liked the into, absolutely loved that girl's song in the bar. So damn good. 

I thought Vaughn was the only person not overreacting some of their parts. Tim Riggins should have stuck to football, not sure I can handle him in this show.

I just like picturing Colin Ferrel's character as him in real life when he was super fucked up doing drugs and shit all the time. That line about ass fucking dad with mom's decapitated corpse was A+

I find it hard to criticize the first episode when we are being plopped into a story and trying to get caught up with the "whose who". The first season was also a slow burn and didnt have a ton going on the first episode except the same thing this season does.

This isint the type of show like orange is the new black where in the first episode they say hey lets give you all the info on why this woman is in jail, great now your caught up and move forward.

It just feels like it's trying to hard and bordering on self parody. There were several lines that made me cringe and/or roll my eyes. Luckily I forget most of them but when Farrell said "I used to want to be an astronaut. But these days astronauts don't even go to the moon anymore" I wanted to slap everyone involved with that line making its way to a finished episode of a tv show.

Lera Lynn. Recorded specifically for the show.

I went on a tear of checking out her music on Spotify and wherever else...gotta admit that it's right up my alley in style. Feels like an Americana/folk Fiona Apple. If she doesn't start getting more recognition, it'll be a great shame.

http://www.leralynn.com/

"Never do anything out of hunger. Not even eating."

Someone wrote that and then a grown man said it in front of dozens of other professional adults before it was broadcast to millions.

I... completely lost it at this line. I just kept imaging him at random points shoving 2 or three cheeseburgers into his mouth hole and saying "I'M NOT EVEN HUNGRY!" as an intimidation method. Still hoping desperately this comes to pass before the season is up.

I... completely lost it at this line. I just kept imaging him at random points shoving 2 or three cheeseburgers into his mouth hole and saying "I'M NOT EVEN HUNGRY!" as an intimidation method. Still hoping desperately this comes to pass before the season is up.

Oh god I want this scene so bad.

We get it, you guys don't like it. However, you're going to continue watching. Makes sense.

It's one episode so there's no black and white to it yet. I loved the first season, so I'm giving this the benefit of the doubt for now. That doesn't mean we can't discuss what about it doesn't work for us or make fun of bad dialogue.